LMB repair on my new to me 2005 City

muchstuff

Incorrigible Bagaholic
Authenticator
Jun 6, 2014
First a reveal of my lovely new-to-me 2005 City...the next 2 pics are from RDC showing wear on the top edge and the corners. Based on the pics I opted to have Corey send the bag to LMB for a repair while it was on layaway. (I'm in Canada and thought I could save on shipping that way).The following pics show the repair to the top edge and corners. I have no prior experience with a Bal repair and would be interested in hearing from others who have. I'm of mixed feelings about it. The product used is quite stiff...I had imagined something more along the lines of a rubber compound that would still have some pliability but I truly don't know what products will and will not work. The top edge has lost any softness it may have originally had, and in spots is somewhat rough. I probably should have taken a look at the bag in real life before deciding whether or not to repair it.
So, would I do it again? Probably, to stop any further damage, but I do feel it's changed the character of the bag somewhat....any comments out there re: repair experiences with LMB or any other place?

Attachments

• DSC_0278.JPG
    DSC_0278.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 259
  • bal_05_blk_city_6215_cu_c.JPG
    bal_05_blk_city_6215_cu_c.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 249
  • $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC_0273.JPG
    DSC_0273.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 260
  • DSC_0274.JPG
    DSC_0274.JPG
    896.3 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC_0275.JPG
    DSC_0275.JPG
    964.3 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC_0276.JPG
    DSC_0276.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 247
I think these kinds of repairs prolong the life of the bag. The corners especially look fantastic, and should hold up a lot longer for you. Edge coating is notoriously difficult to "make new," once it has cracked. Still I think it is an improvement. Until recently, I didn't realize LMB would even attempt it. To my knowledge, no other professional does it.

I try to carry my bags mostly by the handles to minimize the sharp fold (and resulting edge coat cracking) that Cities get when hanging from the shoulder strap. Interestingly, I just bought one of the long straps to replace the short one on my Black City, and when hanging cross body, it curves in a much gentler way, creating a smooth line along the top rather than that sharp fold in the center.

Last edited:
I think these kinds of repairs prolong the life of the bag. The corners especially look fantastic, and should hold up a lot longer for you. Edge coating is notoriously difficult to "make new," once it has cracked. Still I think it is an improvement. Until recently, I didn't realize LMB would even attempt it. To my knowledge, no other professional does it.

I try to carry my bags mostly by the handles to minimize the sharp fold (and resulting edge coat cracking) that Cities get when hanging from the shoulder strap. Interestingly, I just bought one of the long straps to replace the short one on my Black City, and when hanging cross body, it curves in a much gentler way, creating a smooth line along the top rather than that sharp fold in the center.

Ahh thanks for the help, I'm such a newbie at this stuff. I totally get what you're saying about the hang of the bag with a cross body strap but I get horrible neck pain carrying a bag that way. I'm a shoulder strap girl all the way. And I'm not in any way disparaging LMB for the job they've done!

I noticed that if you carry the City using the shoulder straps with the zippers open, the top edges don't fold as much, or at least fold in a less "sharp" manner. But then, having zippers open defeats them, right? :smile:

I noticed that if you carry the City using the shoulder straps with the zippers open, the top edges don't fold as much, or at least fold in a less "sharp" manner. But then, having zippers open defeats them, right? :smile:

I rarely zip up my bag, too much work :lolots:

:lol: then your new-to-you City will be in good hands after her rehab!

If you look back to the beginning of the thread the rehab has been done with before and after pics posted. Now I'm just trying to convince myself not to be like my lovely long-departed grandma who kept all of her special things "to use for good". A lot of them were unused in her bedroom drawers after she passed...a lesson for us all I think!