Living life in fear of price increases...no more!

On one hand, I understand the desire for high end designers wanting more exclusivity. High end purses are a status symbol, like a Mercedes or Jag. If middle class can buy these labels, they aren't status symbols anymore. On the other hand, these designers will lose a lot of their customers by jacking up prices for no good reason.

One word is being repeated here... "Exclusivity"
Of course the luxury goods industry will increase the prices, not only of bags, but of all thing exclusive, and trust me they will increase their profits...
It is such a common phenomenon, when there is a big financial crisis in the world, the only industry that increases profits is the luxury goods ind.
Why? Because in times of panic and poverty, the rich get richer and poor poorer...
It's a strategic move they make, to ensure their brand names, the hype around the goods, and of course the profits.
Since the 70's-80's, the middle class is the main buying power, and that was a result of the blooming economy.
We are going into an era, where the middle class will face a lot of problems, as most people in the western world is now in debt. So the middle class is no longer a good client of the luxury brands. No more riche nouveau.
Only the really wealthy will be able to buy luxury goods.

:goodpost: chloehandbags!

Thanks, layla! :flowers:

The feeling's mutual. :yes:

Couldn't agree more with the excellent points made in your post. :smile:

If anything will put me off luxury goods, permanently, it is the ugly snobbery that is, increasingly, surrounding them.

I don't buy luxury goods as status symbols, or for their perceived 'exclusivity'.*

I buy them for their artistic design and high quality, of both materials used and make and if that ceases to be in evidence (as seems to be the trend) and is, instead, replaced by the ugly, the gimmicky, the mass-produced, the hideously overpriced and the boastful; I think I'll take an extended rain check. ;)

* In fact, I hate the word! :yucky:

'Inclusive' is so much more attractive a concept, to me. I understand that not everyone (even in relatively affluent parts of the West) can afford luxury goods, even on sale; but I wish that they could (assuming they want them).

I don't understand the mentality of people who only buy items because they know that very few others can afford them. It's as though they have no visual appreciation, or soul. :tdown:

That concept is alien, to me.

I think that there are so many things in life that are more important. And truthfully my heart tells me that there are so many just causes that need my money that it would be selfish to spend it on my desire for a handbag that costs XXXX. Sorry, didn't mean to get on a soap box, but I guess there it is.

Yes, I've been starting to feel more and more like that, too. :yes:

Also, I'm not sure that I want to be blithely walking around with the latest designer bag (not that I've ever been an 'it' bag person), while the recession bites and more and more people are made redundant. :nogood:

To do so would seem more than a bit crass and insensitive, TBH. :s

Marie Antoinette springs to mind... :sweatdrop:

Well don't forget how week the dollar is, that certainly contributes to this. And don't ask me I remember when a large Gucci bag was about $200, in the early 90s LOL.

That's true. :yes:

Although, in my example of the 300% Chloe mark-up, over the last 4 years, the weak dollar wasn't an issue, as I was referring to prices in UK £. :smile: