Travel Living in !India!

PinkSuadeSoho

Princess Grace Ave
O.G.
Jul 17, 2006
Are there any members here who live in India? I'd love some advice on the best areas to live, I'll leave it wide open, so post away if we have members here.

Also, looking for places that are great for shopping, eating, things to do.
What would you suggest to someone who will be spending around a year plus more there and is almost clueless!

आभार

Thanks guys, I will be traveling all over. So any suggestions on all areas would be greatly welcomed. I will do some touristy things such as visit the Taj Mahal and Goa India. Looking for ideas I may not have thought about. I want to stay in top notch hotels so those would be very much appreciated. TIA x0x0 Also great areas to live with a family bringing young kids.​

Thanks guys, I will be traveling all over. So any suggestions on all areas would be greatly welcomed. I will do some touristy things such as visit the Taj Mahal and Goa India. Looking for ideas I may not have thought about. I want to stay in top notch hotels so those would be very much appreciated. TIA x0x0 Also great areas to live with a family bringing young kids.​
There is so much!!!!

I live in NYC - but my parents were born in India and I've been several times. Last time was in November 2011. I love it there!

Taj Mahal Hotel in Delhi is one of the best I've stayed at in the world. Very safe and central and amazing food. The Oberoi is known to be the best luxury chain in India.
Your best bet if you want luxury is to stay in the Oberois in each of the smaller cities. In Delhi/Mumbai, you will have much more of a choice.

Check out Connaught Place (CP), Chandni Chowk and don't miss the new temple - Akshardham in Delhi. Taj Mahal in Agra...Visit Fatehpur Sikri on your way out of Agra
Visit the pink city in Jaipur take a elephant ride up to the Amber fort.
Goa is in the south and offers beautiful beaches - with cows and a fun party scene.
Kashmir is also a very beautiful place to visit - especially if you will be there for a year - its a worth a 4-5 day side trip. Are you into Yoga? A stay at an ashram could be very spiritual for you. If you're into spirituality, there are also many sacred sites there - Check out Vashnu Devi in Jammu, Kashmir, where you climb 2km to a temple set on a mountain.

Labor is cheap there - and you can get a driver/guide for around $200 USD/day.

Just amazing shopping. Get ready to buy tons of textiles (scarves, tunics, fabrics...), handmade crafts and the most amazing jewelry. Diamonds are a great buy in India if you know what you are buying and have a local with you. Custom clothes galore -

Try to learn a little of the language (just the basics!) and read a guide book - it's a beautiful country but very different than most of us are used to. It helps to have a little understanding of their culture. I can try to answer any other questions that you have.

There is so much!!!!

I live in NYC - but my parents were born in India and I've been several times. Last time was in November 2011. I love it there!

Taj Mahal Hotel in Delhi is one of the best I've stayed at in the world. Very safe and central and amazing food. The Oberoi is known to be the best luxury chain in India.
Your best bet if you want luxury is to stay in the Oberois in each of the smaller cities. In Delhi/Mumbai, you will have much more of a choice.

Check out Connaught Place (CP), Chandni Chowk and don't miss the new temple - Akshardham in Delhi. Taj Mahal in Agra...Visit Fatehpur Sikri on your way out of Agra
Visit the pink city in Jaipur take a elephant ride up to the Amber fort.
Goa is in the south and offers beautiful beaches - with cows and a fun party scene.
Kashmir is also a very beautiful place to visit - especially if you will be there for a year - its a worth a 4-5 day side trip. Are you into Yoga? A stay at an ashram could be very spiritual for you. If you're into spirituality, there are also many sacred sites there - Check out Vashnu Devi in Jammu, Kashmir, where you climb 2km to a temple set on a mountain.

Labor is cheap there - and you can get a driver/guide for around $200 USD/day.

Just amazing shopping. Get ready to buy tons of textiles (scarves, tunics, fabrics...), handmade crafts and the most amazing jewelry. Diamonds are a great buy in India if you know what you are buying and have a local with you. Custom clothes galore -

Try to learn a little of the language (just the basics!) and read a guide book - it's a beautiful country but very different than most of us are used to. It helps to have a little understanding of their culture. I can try to answer any other questions that you have.

You are so very kind! Thank you so much for taking your time to give me all this valuable information. Would you mind if I pm you for further info>
I'm beyond excited and just love everything about India!​