Home & Garden Living in a small/modest apartment and loving it?

We have a very cheap rent - we could easily afford to pay double the rent we do. And the rent would only cost a little bit more than we pay now. But we have to wait in line (not physically) to get a bigger appartment.

She has a bit of autism, and that makes her have very strict belifs of how some things should be. From bigger things like that she grew up in a very big apprtment and she feels like that is the way it is supposed to be. To smaller things like being extremely dissapointed if she had set her mind on having burgers for lunch (that is what we usually have when go shop for Christmas, but it is not “set in stones” that we always have burgers). And then if we don’t, she gets all confused. If that makes sense?
I totally understand! I have people around me who are in the spectrum of autistic disorder.
It is great that you understand her. Your aunt is a lucky person to have such an understanding niece!

I live small for financial security. I bought a small condo a few years ago after living in a rather large rented apartment for several years. I did the math one day and realized that for all the years I had been renting I could have bought my own home and had equity and security. Though I could have afforded a larger home than what I bought, I wanted to feel worry free and safe. I could work for minimum wage and still be able to afford my condo. That was the most important to me. I don't have to worry about maintaining a home, expensive repairs, lawn care, traveling, etc. My HOA dues cover everything except electricity and internet/tv, they have not increased in several years, and we have plenty of money in our reserves. I like the feeling of safety, so this is perfect for me. My condo is also in a very desirable and growing suburb so I know that if I ever want to upgrade it will be easy to rent. I will never sell it though. Once it's paid off, the HOA dues and taxes are cheap enough that I can keep it for visiting out of state relatives to stay in if I don't want to deal with renting it out. There are also a lot of kids in my family who might need it for a cheaper place to rent while they're in college. I don't see myself moving out any time soon though. I love it. I love the simplicity, the location, the worry free living. I don't mind the small space at all. It's well worth the trade off for not having to worry about money.