little yorkie is in HEAT- what to do

my BF doesnt want to have her spayed. we dont have to breed her, but he wants her to have babies sometime in the future, once is fine. so i dont know.
anyways, yeah, cutie got diapers from petsmart, the disposable ones and im ordering 1 from ebay for her. she is pretty easy w it.
thanks for all your inputs

i'm not trying to be rude, but how are you going to have babies w/o breeding her? do you have experience w/ breeding? if you do decide to breed her, make sure she is certified, by the vet, against genetic defects that are specific to the breed. :flowers:

^^ if you're not an experienced breeder you shouldn't be making your pets reproduce. She's a small breed, and could wind up with major health complications if she's forced to become pregnant and give birth. What's the point of risking your pets life just so she can have puppies, when there are so many great pets out there who need homes? Sorry, but I think you should be aware of the pet overpopulation problem and the serious nature of breeding your pets before you make her have puppies.
On a similar not, by refusing to have her spayed, you're heavily increasing her risk of developing cancer down the line. Don't you think it's a little selfish to compromise your pets health so much just so she can provide you with puppies?

no, i meant we dont HAVE to like BREEDERS do and sell the babies. we just want her to have babies once so we can have the babies

Please, please, PLEASE reconsider this.

There are millions of dogs in shelters and thousands are put to death every single day because of the over-population problem. Part of the problem is people wanting their cute dog to have "JUST ONE" litter so they can keep some and give some to family and friends.

Please don't do this.

Your dog can die while giving birth if you're not experienced. She could become very ill before/after.

Also, are you aware of the costs involved?

To breed a female, the dog would need to be minimally TWO years old. There are nutrition concerns. Some dogs have high-complication pregnancy rates - is yours one of them?

This is not high drama - Your dog could DIE.

Please - PLEASE - take some time and read up on the facts. Educate yourself on why this is a HORRIBLE idea. Educate yourself on how much healthier your dog will be if you have her fixed.

Most importantly, go and spend some time at local shelters in your area. Take a look around at all of the dogs that are about to be euthanized because someone thought it was a good idea to have a cute litter of puppies.

^ ay ay ay! I agree. Absolutely, definitely.

There is no reason to have a dog intact unless you are a registered and professional breeder. If you want more puppies/dogs, go to your local shelter and rescue one.

I'm not trying to lecture you on the responsibilities that come with puppies (number 1 being that they grow up into dogs), but the reasons everyone else has listed are good ones. You said in one of your earlier posts that you hope your yorkie being on heat is not causing her any discomfort; imagine the pain of pregnancy and birth! She's so tiny.

And what if she has 5 puppies? Are you going to get rid of them because you thought she'd have 2?

Wanting cute babies is not a good enough reason to keep your dog intact. In Australia, they recently brought in legislation that requires you to register and pay a fee (between $500-$2000 per dog) if you don't want to spay your dog. This creates a huge disincentive for people who are not professionals; I know I certainly wouldn't pay the fee unless I was professionally breeding my dogs. Dogs that are kept intact without a breeders' licence attract a hefty fine. Any dogs rescued from a shelter are automatically spayed, so that no intact dogs are ever sold. I think it's one of the best pieces of legislation to ever have been brought in.

Please carefully consider your reasons for not spaying your doggy - the reason you have listed doesn't seem to be enough!

also, the vet costs for breeding your dog are really quite steep! i talked to my breeder about this and she said that she only does it to try and perfect the breed and not really to make $$ off of it because most of the times you can't. puppies get sick and die and so could the mother. it's really not a good idea IMHO, to breed your dog. just my 2 cents...

yeah, i know there are alot of responsibilities and we thought about that. first we decide only let her has babies when we can afford to raise ALL of them, which is not for a LONG time,lol.
the reason why my bf wants my yorkie to have her babies cux he loves her personalities. i know, we are thinking too much....
but we have talked about that and also about the spay. i know it is much much better to have her spay.
Either way, it is not anytime soon that we will get another dog or let her breed.
thanks everyone

by the way, i didnt know about the benefits of spaying her before everyone telling me. ofcourse, we love her a lot and only want the best for her. so myself wanted to have her spayed- and i will talk to my BF about this.:sweatdrop:

Oh Sweetie - Thank you for coming back and for saying that you read what we were trying to say to you. I kicked myself this morning wondering if my post sounded righteous or critical and I PROMISE you that's not what I was trying to sound like. Some people honestly don't know these things - and I just REALLY wanted to put the information out there for you.

Please let your boyfriend know that if he loves the dog - and the dog's personality, that to keep her around for a long time, spaying her is the best thing that you can do. So many dogs have great personalities - please try to let him understand that it isn't reason enough to put your dog in danger and to bring more puppies in to this world when there are so many dogs and not enough people to love them.

It is, however, very obvious that you love your dog.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for having an open mind.