Little Girls in Makeup ??

i started wearing make-up (mascara, eye shadow, little liner, lipgloss) in grade 6.

times are changing, i work at a summer camp for ages 6-12 and the girls wearing make-up is the least of my worries when it comes to them growing up wayyy too quickly!

I have a 12 yr old sister who will be in 7th grade starting tomorrow. My mom only lets her wear neutral eyeshadows and lip gloss.

All of her friends wear heavy make-up. I was even shocked when my sister told me her friends wear thongs!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think a little lip gloss, maybe slight mascara for special occassions but I can't see it for every day use. No one needs makeup for school, going to the mall, etc. It seems to become too habitual and like they'll need it just to go to the grocery store. I wasn't allowed to wear it until I was 16 and I didn't wear it then and only wear it now when getting dressed up for something special. Too much emphasis is put on wearing makeup to look like something you are not. Little girls (and most of the women I know) should learn that it should accentuate their natural beauty, not be used to cover up everything they think is a flaw. I feel sorry for women I see doing daily chores (and especially at some of the offices I have to go in to) all made up like they are about to be Covergirl of the year.

staceyy said:
I was even shocked when my sister told me her friends wear thongs!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehe by the time i was in gr6, if you wore 'granny panties' instead of thongs you were labelled as a prude and totally shunned.

my school was rough i guess... haha

I remember the huge pressure to start wearing makeup began around 6th grade....lip gloss around 5th grade. It all started with bonne bell lipsmackers...you used to be able to wear the huge ones as pendants around your neck which was cool for us who were into skiing.

That was all I could do. I think my Mom wanted me to wait until high school, but I started with lip gloss and a little mascara by 7th grade and later on would always take it to school and apply it in the girls' restroom once I got to school and then attempted to wash it off when I got home. LOL, I'm sure my Mom knew! My Mom is a natural beauty and doesn't need much makeup to look stunning. IMO, I don't do well in the natural look and even as a young teen I realized this and tried to start wearing makeup even though Mom protested. I adored my friends who had older sisters b/c we always got to play with their makeup...I was forbidden to purchase any with my allowance money until high school!

I don't know how times have changed b/c I don't have kids but I think lip gloss first and a little mascara is OK around age 11 or 12. I'm sure the pressure starts even younger now.

i don't even remember when i started but my parents never made an issue out of it at all. when i was about 14 i guess, and stuff like blue and green nail polish was really cool, they never commented on it though. then again that doesn't really make you look like an adult :roflmfao: i also liked stuff like eyeshadow and lipglosses but i didn't see to point of foundation since i didn't have skin issues and blush doesn't apply that well without that base (not that i knew that then, but i didn't think i needed it). i don't think make-up on young girls is generally a huge deal but i did do a double take last summer when i saw these girls of about 10-11 wearing the works including liquid eyeliner walking around in mini skirts and bikini tops :throwup:

Blue824 said:
Hmm...interesting. I was allowed to start wearing make up when I was probably 11 or 12. Not that I'd wear it alot, but my mom took me to buy a bunch of stuff when I started going to all the bar/bat mitzvahs. We'd usually go and have our make up done before them anyway. I didn't think much of it since all the other girls would do it too...and way before the days of libby lous and those girl salon spa birthday parties parents would rent out real salons for us to get our hair all teased up 80s style, manis, pedis and our make up done...now pictures from that were a little excessive, but it wasn't an every day thing! And when I was like 12, it was all very tasteful, if you looked at pictures it probably wouldn't have even been commented on.

:roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao: SAME EXACT THING! All those Bar/Bat Mitzvahs...I didn't understand a word of it, but I went to all of them!!!:upsidedown: You know, it's funny because I hated to wear make-up! I only wore it if I had to...you know, for an occasion like above! And then to school in 7th-9th grade, but just a little mascara & lipstick...oh, this is funny!

And from then on...I have decided that I HATE MAKE-UP! I try to wear it as less as possible! I do wear lipgloss b/c it's like a chapstick, but I ONLY wear Make-up if I am going out or going shopping for my new bags...but I still hate it!! So funny!

Sorry to ramble, it's early!
Kristy:rolleyes:

My daughter will be 7 in a couple of weeks and she is make-up crazy, I blame it on Bratz. I don't mind letting her play with make-up hear at home, but I make her take it off before we leave the house, except clear lipgloss. It's usually off in a few minutes but she still feels like a princess.

If I had a daughter, I'd let her play with an entire makeup set but only in the house is she allowed to wear makeup.

I'd let her only wear gloss until she was 15. Then after, "conservative" makeup (except on special occassions) until she was 18 and she can wear whatever she wants.

If I have kids, I'll let them wear it when they get to middle school/junior high but not anything too outrageous. I can't see not allowing a girl to wear at least concealer/foundation and powder, especially if she had dark circles, an uneven complextion and/or acne. Kids can be really cruel especially at that age when it comes to teasing.

This is how I started wearing makeup:

- In 6th grade I wore just powder (very shiny skin).

- In 7th I wore foundation, powder, and some very neutral brown eyeshadow and brown pencil liner.

- In 8th grade I started wearing lipstick (put it on after I left the house so my dad wouldn't say anything) and my mom knew but didn't mind. In fact she gave me an old tube of hers.

- I never thought much about mascara since my lashes are dark (but not very full) until in 10th grade, when I received a free sample tube at school during English class. I liked it and started wearing it all the time.

- When was 19 (sophomore in college) I started wearing brow pencil. Don't know why it took me so long but I guess it was because I wasn't sure how to apply it to make it look natural but I figured it out after my bf's little sister started making fun of me because my eyebrows were so light/thin. Ugh. lol

Oh yeah, I have never worn blush and still don't. I blush naturally pretty easily :blush: