Litter box advice

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I don't know why this is happening now when it wasn't before but lately Sammy is having accidents where he is peeing in his box but spilling some urine out the sides. I had two litter boxes in the bathtub. I replaced them with one huge box and found urine all under it. It was a real chore for me to move the box full of litter so I went back to the double boxes. We had to accidents this week. It's obviously nasty to deal with.
I've seen some talk online about tall litter boxes. Some the cat enters from the top and some have an entry point on the side. In our case I think if Sammy would be willing to use the top entry one it would be a safer bet. Anyone used a box like this? Online reviews say the cats don't have any trouble wit them.

49297443200214p

Two out of four of my cats would use this box. The others wanted nothing to do with it.

My Rudy does the same thing as Sammy. We bought puppy pads and put them around and under the box. It stops it from dripping under. It's easier to just lift the box a bit and slide the dirty one out and a new one under.

thank you for that suggestion. I have to do something. Hauling those two litter boxes out and cleaning a bunch of wet litter out of the tub on a regular basis isn't fun.....not to mention the odor. If BBB has these boxes in store I could try one and take it back if he doesn't want to use it. Or just do what you said.

I sit for a family of five cats that uses those top entry ones. One of the cats poops directly outside the box, but they all pee in them as far as I am aware.

is it to much to expect a 15-year-old cat to learn a new litter box routine? jumping off the side of the bathtub into the box and climbing out of it?

I don't know why this is happening now when it didn't happen in the past. Only think I can think of is he's drinking more and therefore producing more urine. I've watched him and he isn't doing that male spraying thing. He squats.

is it to much to expect a 15-year-old cat to learn a new litter box routine? jumping off the side of the bathtub into the box and climbing out of it?

I don't know why this is happening now when it didn't happen in the past. Only think I can think of is he's drinking more and therefore producing more urine. I've watched him and he isn't doing that male spraying thing. He squats.

Could he be ill? If he is drinking more I suggest taking him to the vet. Could be many reasons at his age. Keep us posted

I don't think it is too much to learn if you are still keeping the boxes in the tub. Might be easier for him to get into if he can step off the side of the tub onto the top of the box, squat in the hole, and done!

I keep wee wee pads under my litter boxes and find that helps with all sorts of issues. Hartz ones are fairly inexpensive and they come in a fabulous lavender scent.

When we had a cat that went over the edge of the litter box I bought several cheap trays for draining boots by the door and placed them under the box. Like these: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st..._id=10212839&gclid=CKaYnuep_dACFQcwaQodQswKig

You can just lift the box off the tray and hose off the tray in the basement sink.
thanks.....for a first step right now since the litter box is in a bathtub, I'm going to try the puppy pads.....when we move and have the box on a wood floor, we'll have to put something like what you did under it....or maybe some visqueen plastic sheeting with the puppy pads
even though the puppy pads are supposed to keep the moisture from going through on the floors, I don't think we're going to take chances with our brand new floors

The puppy pads are a great idea. Easy peasy switch. I know it can be pricy I've seen them at Costco recently.

We had this problem with our guy Harry. He was a older cat and had difficulty squatting down to go so he'd usually go outside of the box even though he was inside the box. (He was in the right place but his bum was at the edge he would usually be standing upright so when he went it obviously landed outside the box) I tried a box with extra high walls that did not work one bit, it actually made it worse because he was also a bigger cat so he had difficulty turning around in it. Then I got a jumbo size box like this one http://m.petco.com/shop/en/petcosto...itter-boxes-and-pans/petmate-giant-litter-pan it's insanely huge. Slightly higher walls than the average box but not too high for a older guy to jump over. But the size of the box roughly 2 feet wide and 3 feet long did the trick. He never peed outside of the box after that. Except when he had a uti.

Also if you can try to catch them in the act, just so you can see how they are going. Do they look like they are having difficulty going, or maybe in pain if you hear a yelp. Do they try to go and are unsuccessful several times until they can make? Since this isn't normal for them maybe it's being triggered by a UTI or something else health wise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using PurseForum mobile app

Reactions: MamaSleepy