Litter box advice

How is it working??
I'm at my wits end. I thought he was using the new top entry box. He is but apparently sometimes he doesn't feel like it. this morning I smelled urine. Checking the box, had a couple of clumps but he had also peed outside it - in the bath tub. I will put some natures miracle or anti-icky poo in there but since the tub isn't porous, I'm not sure how that will work.

this is my third new box - first the huge shallow one; next the deeper one with no lid and now the deep one with lid and hole to climb in. I can try removing the lid but then I know he will pee over the top sometimes.

I'm at my wits end. Can't put his box outside as some people do as he's an inside cat and there are coyotes around here - even more coyotes at new house I'm sure because there is a huge vacant hill next to the house.

Just venting I guess. Doesn't seem to be a solution. I'll try the anti-icky poo and next try will be no lid on the box. Uugh

This isn't a great solution but, I have a client who has her litter box inside a giant cardboard box (like 3x3) and is lined with dog potty pads. So if he does go outside the litter box, he goes on the potty pads and then she just changes those, and then changes the cardboard box if that gets soaked. The cardboard isn't that tall - just slightly taller than the litter box so he can easily climb in, but if he misses there is plenty of extra room to catch it.

This isn't a great solution but, I have a client who has her litter box inside a giant cardboard box (like 3x3) and is lined with dog potty pads. So if he does go outside the litter box, he goes on the potty pads and then she just changes those, and then changes the cardboard box if that gets soaked. The cardboard isn't that tall - just slightly taller than the litter box so he can easily climb in, but if he misses there is plenty of extra room to catch it.
thanks, I'll keep that in mind
I think I'm going to spray anti-icky poo in the tub.....hope that won't deter him from the litter box

I guess the top entry box is a fail. I found moisture in the tub this AM - think he peed outside the box. I've now removed the lid. Maybe if he's willing to use it without the lid it will be tall enough to contain the urine when he gets sloppy.

This is getting to be a big deal. Now it's in the tub but we're moving to a house with wood floors. They were very expensive. If I can't protect the floor by putting something under the litter box, I don't know what I'll do. Give up the bath tub again? We don't have a laundry room with tile or vinyl floor.
DH is talking about making him a garage cat. He'd be out there during the day so Sammy wouldn't be alone all the time. And he could hunt for mice, etc. This makes me sad. But he's half serious about it. We spent $15K on those wood floors.
Making him an outside cat is out of the question. Coyotes would kill him in short order. Putting his box in the garage attached to the house wouldn't work as he'd run out when we opened the door to outside and coyotes could get him.

Has anyone tried the CatGenie Self-Flushing litter box?

I'll be moving to a large, built-up city in a couple years, and have been looking at this for a while. It's a bit expensive, but seems it could make things more convenient for city living (as long as I can find somewhere to fit it to the water system!).

litter-robot-open-air-with-cat.jpg
I purchased a Cat Genie 7 years ago when I adopted my 6-year-old Chloe (in the avatar). Funny thing is, I never hooked it up, so it's just taking up space in storage. I just use the inexpensive plastic litter box instead. The cat Genie and side protectors were a little over $300. Dang, that's at least a couple of pairs of shoes!
If you're really serious about getting the Cat Genie, you're welcome to have mine for free. I just don't want the hassle of the hooking up to water system nonsense. It's an older version, not the version in the photo. I think I have all the pieces. The problem is, the entire kit (including the flushable litter), adds up to a lot of weight for shipping. If you're interested, just drop me a PM.
This is the version I have, and now it's about $100 cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JGIYV...t=&hvlocphy=9007720&hvtargid=pla-278269789648

Last edited:
Reactions: i_love_vinegar
I guess the top entry box is a fail. I found moisture in the tub this AM - think he peed outside the box. I've now removed the lid. Maybe if he's willing to use it without the lid it will be tall enough to contain the urine when he gets sloppy.

This is getting to be a big deal. Now it's in the tub but we're moving to a house with wood floors. They were very expensive. If I can't protect the floor by putting something under the litter box, I don't know what I'll do. Give up the bath tub again? We don't have a laundry room with tile or vinyl floor.
DH is talking about making him a garage cat. He'd be out there during the day so Sammy wouldn't be alone all the time. And he could hunt for mice, etc. This makes me sad. But he's half serious about it. We spent $15K on those wood floors.
Making him an outside cat is out of the question. Coyotes would kill him in short order. Putting his box in the garage attached to the house wouldn't work as he'd run out when we opened the door to outside and coyotes could get him.
Sammy is doing good using the deep box with the lid off. But he is climbing down into it from the edge of the tub. Not sure how well it will work if it's on the floor and he has to climb up and over the edge.

I purchased a Cat Genie 7 years ago when I adopted my 6-year-old Chloe (in the avatar). Funny thing is, I never hooked it up, so it's just taking up space in storage. I just use the inexpensive plastic litter box instead. The cat Genie and side protectors were a little over $300. Dang, that's at least a couple of pairs of shoes!
If you're really serious about getting the Cat Genie, you're welcome to have mine for free. I just don't want the hassle of the hooking up to water system nonsense. It's an older version, not the version in the photo. I think I have all the pieces. The problem is, the entire kit (including the flushable litter), adds up to a lot of weight for shipping. If you're interested, just drop me a PM.
This is the version I have, and now it's about $100 cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JGIYV...t=&hvlocphy=9007720&hvtargid=pla-278269789648
Awww thanks so much for the offer @dooneybaby! I'm actually not able to buy one for another 1.5 years, but am very excited to get one! Thanks again for your offer though, it's very kind of you :flowers::heart:

After months of spills, we finally caught Sammy in the act - twice - standing up in the box with tail raised rather than squatting. It seems with the deep box the pee is hitting the side and running down into the litter - not spilling over the top.
Now it remains to be seen whether he will climb into it from the floor. Need to move the box to a place where he has to do that and see what he does. Such a good cat but giving me angst on this.