Litter box advice

The puppy pads are a great idea. Easy peasy switch. I know it can be pricy I've seen them at Costco recently.

We had this problem with our guy Harry. He was a older cat and had difficulty squatting down to go so he'd usually go outside of the box even though he was inside the box. (He was in the right place but his bum was at the edge he would usually be standing upright so when he went it obviously landed outside the box) I tried a box with extra high walls that did not work one bit, it actually made it worse because he was also a bigger cat so he had difficulty turning around in it. Then I got a jumbo size box like this one http://m.petco.com/shop/en/petcosto...itter-boxes-and-pans/petmate-giant-litter-pan it's insanely huge. Slightly higher walls than the average box but not too high for a older guy to jump over. But the size of the box roughly 2 feet wide and 3 feet long did the trick. He never peed outside of the box after that. Except when he had a uti.

Also if you can try to catch them in the act, just so you can see how they are going. Do they look like they are having difficulty going, or maybe in pain if you hear a yelp. Do they try to go and are unsuccessful several times until they can make? Since this isn't normal for them maybe it's being triggered by a UTI or something else health wise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using PurseForum mobile app

At the times when I've watched him he seems to be squatting normally and in the right place. No straining. He makes approx three normal sized clumps per day. I've seen cats with UTI infections straining and producing a few drops.
I bought a huge tray that filled almost the whole bathtub and he spilled outside of it. It was so big and awkward to take out of the tub when it was full of litter that I switched back to the two boxes side by side.
I bought a package of puppy pads and in the few days since I've had them under the boxes he hasn't had any accidents. So fingers crossed this will be an infrequent problem and the puppy pads will make it easier to clean up if it does occur.
thanks for the advice :smile:

do the puppy pads help with odor?
when sammy spilled without the pads, the odor was very strong
If he spills on the pads, I'l change them out right away
I was just wondering if this happens when the pet sitter it looking after him and she doesn't change the pads would the odor be as overpowering as it was on the hard surface?
thanks for any advice

I keep wee wee pads under my litter boxes and find that helps with all sorts of issues. Hartz ones are fairly inexpensive and they come in a fabulous lavender scent.

The puppy pads are a great idea. Easy peasy switch. I know it can be pricy I've seen them at Costco recently.

We had this problem with our guy Harry. He was a older cat and had difficulty squatting down to go so he'd usually go outside of the box even though he was inside the box. (He was in the right place but his bum was at the edge he would usually be standing upright so when he went it obviously landed outside the box) I tried a box with extra high walls that did not work one bit, it actually made it worse because he was also a bigger cat so he had difficulty turning around in it. Then I got a jumbo size box like this one http://m.petco.com/shop/en/petcosto...itter-boxes-and-pans/petmate-giant-litter-pan it's insanely huge. Slightly higher walls than the average box but not too high for a older guy to jump over. But the size of the box roughly 2 feet wide and 3 feet long did the trick. He never peed outside of the box after that. Except when he had a uti.

Also if you can try to catch them in the act, just so you can see how they are going. Do they look like they are having difficulty going, or maybe in pain if you hear a yelp. Do they try to go and are unsuccessful several times until they can make? Since this isn't normal for them maybe it's being triggered by a UTI or something else health wise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using PurseForum mobile app

do the puppy pads help with odor?
when sammy spilled without the pads, the odor was very strong
If he spills on the pads, I'l change them out right away
I was just wondering if this happens when the pet sitter it looking after him and she doesn't change the pads would the odor be as overpowering as it was on the hard surface?
thanks for any advice

They absolutely help. In fact, they absorb the odor. I find the scented Hartz ones to be fantastic for that. To get the odor out of floors or carpet, mix peroxide with baking soda (or Arm & Hammer litter box deodorizer) on top of the affected spot and let it sit. I found that solution on WikiHow and it works like a charm. An over the counter scent remover you can buy is Anti Icky Poo. Good luck!

They absolutely help. In fact, they absorb the odor. I find the scented Hartz ones to be fantastic for that. To get the odor out of floors or carpet, mix peroxide with baking soda (or Arm & Hammer litter box deodorizer) on top of the affected spot and let it sit. I found that solution on WikiHow and it works like a charm. An over the counter scent remover you can buy is Anti Icky Poo. Good luck!
yes, I've used Natures Miracle and Anti Icky Poo....sounds like the home remedy would be economical. for now, in the tub, it's not an issue as the tub doesn't absorb anything. when we move since we'll have the box on a new wood floor, we'll probably have plastic, then pads, then boxes.

So Sammy went almost a week with no spilling over the edge of the box. But yesterday I found that he had spilled. The pads made it easier to clean up but there was still a bit of moisture that somehow ran over the edge of them or something. I had two litter boxes in the tub with pads covering the area under them and around them for a few inches. After this accident, I put pads in covering the entire bottom of the tub. The odor wasn't as bad as before but I could still smell the urine when I walked into the room. I could see how it happened. There was a wet dibble at the side of the box where it went over. I don't know why he'd be positioning himself differently now but he is so we'll just have to deal with it. Thanks for the advice.

The pads I'm getting are from the 99 cents store. I don't know if more expensive pads would be any different or better but it's convenient and cheap for me to get them there for now. I noticed on one of the posts that Poopsie got them there so figured they must be OK.

There are a couple of other things for you to consider. Is the litter box big enough? I bought the enormous ones from Petco which have loads of room all around (here's Bandit playing in it because...boys). I also have a covered one in my bathroom. Regardless of size or cover, what I refer to as an "overpee" happens from time to time. And it's always one of the boys. The girls are so neat about it. The boys perform acrobatics in the litterbox. My only exception is Tilly, who's handicapped and manages to get litter all over her face every time.

IMG_1482591911.865272.jpg

There are a couple of other things for you to consider. Is the litter box big enough? I bought the enormous ones from Petco which have loads of room all around (here's Bandit playing in it because...boys). I also have a covered one in my bathroom. Regardless of size or cover, what I refer to as an "overpee" happens from time to time. And it's always one of the boys. The girls are so neat about it. The boys perform acrobatics in the litterbox. My only exception is Tilly, who's handicapped and manages to get litter all over her face every time.

View attachment 3556164
cute kitty :smile:
I bought a very large box that almost filled the bathtub and he spilled over the side of that one! He had all the room in the world and I guess he still sat on the edge sometimes. When I had to lift it out of the tub to clean under it, it was quite heavy and awkward. So I went back to two boxes side-by-side. Basically just gives him more clean litter.

At one time I had two cats sharing one normal size box and no spilling. But I learned that you're supposed to have at least one box per kitty. So when Noche passed I continued to have two boxes.

DH suggested we could place the oversized box in the tub and put one normal size litter box inside the larger one with pads under it. But as long as the pads catch most of the moisture and the tub isn't porous like floor or carpet, I don't really think that would accomplish much.

It might not hurt to just rinse the tub out every few days or something as well. Even though you may not see any urine, he may still end up with some on the side of the tub or something. I feel like cat pee is way stronger than dog pee and smells even when there is just a drop of it!

It might not hurt to just rinse the tub out every few days or something as well. Even though you may not see any urine, he may still end up with some on the side of the tub or something. I feel like cat pee is way stronger than dog pee and smells even when there is just a drop of it!
yes, one of my concerns is with the pet sitter
I hate to ask her to deal with lifting the pans, cleaning under them, etc.

I sit for a family of five cats that uses those top entry ones. One of the cats poops directly outside the box, but they all pee in them as far as I am aware.
So I've pretty much tried everything except the top entry box. I tried the oversized box that filled the bathtub. I tried the one with high sides (current one). Some days are fine and some days he sprays on the wall of the litter box and it spills. Some days he sprays all the way onto the wall of the bath tub. I have the puppy pads so it's not that terrible.
But I'm worried about when we move. We'd like to have the litter box in the spare bedroom. But it has wood floors and we don't want cat urine on the floors or the walls.
I'm thinking of getting one of the top entry litter boxes. He can easily jump from the edge of the bath tub into it. But then at the new house he'd have to climb up onto it.
Or as a last resort give him the guest bath tub. This is also the powder room where day guests would. DH and I both shower but I wanted to have the option of a bath tub.
Uugh.....don't understand this. Most of the time he squats appropriately.

Maybe you can give him a choice before you move? See if he likes the top entry and see if he still pees up those walls. You can make homemade top entry ones so you could always cut it a little lower if you feel it's too high. The family I sit for also has a weird top entry one that is kind of slanted - so the entry is lower but the back side comes up higher where they actually pee.

Maybe you can give him a choice before you move? See if he likes the top entry and see if he still pees up those walls. You can make homemade top entry ones so you could always cut it a little lower if you feel it's too high. The family I sit for also has a weird top entry one that is kind of slanted - so the entry is lower but the back side comes up higher where they actually pee.
yes, I was thinking maybe I'd get the top entry box before we move.....but if he is ok with it climbing down from the tub, he'll have to figure out how to use it at the new house climbing up onto the top. I don't think the kind with the top that comes off (kind of igloo style) would work, as there is a crack where you lift the top off that pee could leak out of
thanks for your advice :smile: