Listing error resulting in big headache, please advise me

Betsy80

Nov 14, 2012
So I listed an item, the buyer bought, then I realized a mistake before payment and before sending it out. This is the first time I made a listing error ever. They no longer wanted the item, that's of course totally understandable since it was my own error 100%, so they naturally didn't pay. Super nice buyer by the way.

So this was a month ago, all of a sudden, I get notice that a dispute has started against them for not paying. What?!?! I never initiated this. Let me explain how much I HATE the automatic option. I had turned it on a while back, and it didn't work! I assume because later I saw it defaulted to 30 days. No way am I waiting 30 days for payment from anyone. I went in and set it to 4 days. Still did not work for me when a buyer did not pay, so I turned it off completely to not have to deal with not knowing what it will do. Apparently I now find out that because it was turned on a month ago (at the default 30 day setting I thought I updated), this is why the unpaid buyer email got generated, the item sold at that time and apparently when you change it, it does not change for previous items.

So now my question is this. Do I close the case and then indicate I want it canceled so there is no strike against them and I don't have to pay the fees? Or do I mark they paid and pay the fees? Which looks better for the BUYER? In either case I would tell them what's going on, they already have one email about it. I worry that a cancelled transaction doesn’t look so good even *without* the strike, but if I say they paid, then it looks like they took forever to pay? I don't care about my fees at all, what is best for the buyer? I am frustrated this even went to the resolution center in the first place, when we don't have an issue with each other in the first place.

Close the dispute with the "mutual" option.

I'd also email the buyer with profuse apologies, explaining that you had nothing to do with initiating the dispute.

Close the dispute with the "mutual" option.

I'd also email the buyer with profuse apologies, explaining that you had nothing to do with initiating the dispute.

Oh for sure, I already told them I am on it once I figure out how to handle. They've bought from me before and we have great rapport. I'm just so afraid I won't get the right option if I close then cancel. I do NOT want to mess it up, that's why I thought I should mark they paid or something, wherever you do that. In the past I only go there when someone legitimately hasn't paid so that's why I worry about clicking one wrong thing and then I screwed them gah.

OK so at the bottom right hand corner it only gives an option to close the case and nothing more. Above that it says the following:

Do I choose 1. "I want to cancel a transaction" 2. "My problem is not listed here" or 3. Something else? I don't know where the options lead....I know NOT to choose closing the case at the bottom right hand corner, right?

Resolution Center
Resolve a problem
We always encourage our members to communicate with each other when there's a problem with a transaction. If you've already attempted to contact the member but were unable to resolve the problem, you can open a case.
To start the resolution process, please tell us what your problem is:

I bought an item. I sold an item.
I haven't received it yet.
I haven't received my payment yet.

I received an item that does not match the seller's description.
I want to cancel a transaction.

ContinueContinue | My problem is not listed here

Last edited:
Choose "I want to cancel a transaction". You will then be given the option to mutually agree to cancel. Nobody will be given a strike.

OK will do that, thanks for your help. Out of curiosity, where does "my problem is not listed" lead you? And had it been a late pay for instance, where would you indicate that? I want to learn all the in's and outs. Thanks!