Liquid Keratin -- anyone tried it?

My hairstylist started offering the keratin treatments a few months ago. One of her assistants was working on a client behind us when I asked her about the cost and length of time. She said it runs anywhere between $300.00 to $400.00 and its effects can last anywhere from 4-6 months.

I noticed her assistant was sectioning the clients hair and using what looked to be similar to be like a flat iron with teeth (a comb) on it. She would apply the keratin (protein) to the a very thin section of her client's hair and then went over it with the iron-like device very slowly to activate it, I guess.

I asked my hairstylist/owner how long the woman had been in the chair and she said, "3 hours!" Her hair was still not done when I left and my appointment was about one hour long. So tack on another hour. The clients hair was approximately 2-3 inches past her shoulder.

The owner touted the benefits of keratin for keeping the hair straight, strong, shiny, healthy and frizz-free for 4-6 months. She said it was fabulous.

When I left she told me to be sure to ask the receptionist about her hair as she had the keratin treatment done a month ago. I asked her a specific question regarding the maintenance, i.e. was there any? Did she have to blow it dry anymore or use a flat iron? I also asked can you just "wash and go" now? She said no. And she still does blow it dry some and occasionally has to touch it up with her flat iron. She said she liked it though.

My stylist claims there wasn't any formaldehyde or other toxic chemicals in this keratin treatment she offers because I asked her. And she said, "you know how adamant I am about using the most natural, organic & healthiest products as possible in my salon."

Long story short, I decided against trying this keratin treatment method because of the cost and I don't want to sit in a chair for 4 plus hours for the process. Also the receptionist's testimony of still having to use a blowdryer and the occasional touch-up with a flat iron cured me of pursuing this any further. I mean what's the point? LOL

The liquid keratin sounds interesting though and if anyone tries this from ulta or wherever please post your feedback.

Layla, the first time I had the keratin treatment it cost me $300.00. The stylist who did my hair is an instructor in the process for the Coppola brand of keratin. There is no formaldehyde in their product. My daughter has much longer hair than mine, her's cost $400.00. This was not my regular stylist, but I thought it was well worth the cost. My regular salon began offering the treatment and I have had it done there since, at a much reduced price of $150.00. The results are exactly the same if not better. I think it's worth your while to shop around if you are interested in having it done.
As for a wash and go result, this is not the straightening treatment I had years ago, where your hair stayed straight without blowdrying or ironing. I am completely satisfied with having to blowdry my hair without using the iron, and the fact that my hair is dry in 7 to 10 minutes. The other bonus is that your hair is left with body and shine, it doesn't just hang there looking like the end of a broom. (Been there, done that).
The time in the chair can be long, but my daughter and I have never spent more that 2 to 2 1/2 hours in the chair. I have my color put on immediately before, so that adds to my time in the chair. It takes longer than your regular cut and color, but yes, it is a bit time consuming.
So worth it!!!!!

Layla, the first time I had the keratin treatment it cost me $300.00. The stylist who did my hair is an instructor in the process for the Coppola brand of keratin. There is no formaldehyde in their product. My daughter has much longer hair than mine, her's cost $400.00. This was not my regular stylist, but I thought it was well worth the cost. My regular salon began offering the treatment and I have had it done there since, at a much reduced price of $150.00. The results are exactly the same if not better. I think it's worth your while to shop around if you are interested in having it done.
Thanks for the advice mombug.

As for a wash and go result, this is not the straightening treatment I had years ago, where your hair stayed straight without blowdrying or ironing. I am completely satisfied with having to blowdry my hair without using the iron, and the fact that my hair is dry in 7 to 10 minutes. The other bonus is that your hair is left with body and shine, it doesn't just hang there looking like the end of a broom. (Been there, done that).

That's sounds wonderful and somewhat tempting.

The time in the chair can be long, but my daughter and I have never spent more that 2 to 2 1/2 hours in the chair. I have my color put on immediately before, so that adds to my time in the chair. It takes longer than your regular cut and color, but yes, it is a bit time consuming.
So worth it!!!!!

Thanks so much for your helpful input mombug. I do like the sound of this process and your sharing of first hand experience helped me to see it in a different light.:idea:

p.s.
Cute username mombug! I called my son lovebug when he was a baby.

Thanks for the advice mombug.

That's sounds wonderful and somewhat tempting.

Thanks so much for your helpful input mombug. I do like the sound of this process and your sharing of first hand experience helped me to see it in a different light.:idea:

p.s.
Cute username mombug! I called my son lovebug when he was a baby.
Layla, I know I'm a bit "over the moon" with the keratin, but I've struggled with my wavy, frizzy hair for so long that this has been such a relief. Especially in the summer here when it's so muggy. I'd get my hair perfect inside with the air conditioning and as soon as I'd hit the fresh air, instant frizzball!! The other thing is it has a cumulative effect, so each time you have it done, your hair looks better. The top portion of my hair is so healthy looking, and I know that when it all grows out finally, it will all look that good.
Regarding Mombug, I drive a vw beetle!!!!!! Lovebug was such a sweet name to call your baby boy!!! If he's a teen now, I'm sure you can't get away with that anymore!!:roflmfao:

Layla, I know I'm a bit "over the moon" with the keratin, but I've struggled with my wavy, frizzy hair for so long that this has been such a relief. Especially in the summer here when it's so muggy. I'd get my hair perfect inside with the air conditioning and as soon as I'd hit the fresh air, instant frizzball!! The other thing is it has a cumulative effect, so each time you have it done, your hair looks better. The top portion of my hair is so healthy looking, and I know that when it all grows out finally, it will all look that good.
Regarding Mombug, I drive a vw beetle!!!!!! Lovebug was such a sweet name to call your baby boy!!! If he's a teen now, I'm sure you can't get away with that anymore!!:roflmfao:

Yes, I also have waves in my hair along with the dreaded frizz. It sounds like you no longer have to battle the frizzies with the keratin regardless of the weather or being outside of your home. I like that and it almost sounds too good to be true. Plus the cumulative effect is an added bonus.

How long does your keratin treatment last? And how long is your hair?

My son is a teen now and I do have term of endearment that's a variant of the lovebug, it is only used in private though. ;)

Hi Everyone:
This thread is very good. Very helpfull.
I had my first Keratine treatment two weeks ago at the salon and I can't begin to describe how great it feels to see my hair now. I only did the front of my head because that was the area with he main problem. My hair used to get really frizzy in the front and at times it was very very bad. Right now only blowdrying will do and it also looks very shiny.
The process took about 1 1/2 hours in total for me and the stylist told me I should stay like this for about 4 months or more depending on how often I wash my hair and if I color it.
I can't wait to do all my hair!!!
Oh and very important, not to use any shampoo or conditioner containing salicic acid. They sell special hair products to use for keratine treated hair, they might be a little pricy but so so worth it!
I hope it helps, can't wait to see if this keratine treatment from Ulta is going to give good results. If a friend can do it for me it will be great! the whole treatment can be even cheaper!

Mombug~~I live in New England, too and the summer humidity turns me into a pouf ball!

Layla, my hair is just about hitting my shoulders right now. The treatment lasts around 12 weeks for me, but it will be 11 weeks when I have it done again. Absolutely despise the frizzies, makes me nuts!!! I wish this had been around when I was younger, imagine all the stress I could have done without!!! Speaking of stress, I live with three teenagers, so I am aware of the various terms of "endearment" that can be mumbled under one's breath!!!!:roflmfao: You gave me a chuckle!!
Tracy, do we live in the most humid climate in the world????? It's like a tropical jungle here in the summer!!! I blame the ocean!!

Mombug~~I'm finding it's more humid these past few summers....and into the fall! And I don't even live on the coast.
Rondafaye~~Oh, are you the guinea pig? I hope it works! I have my fingers crossed. So, I assume from reading the website, you have to use their shampoo and conditioner exclusively??