Liquid Foundation...Then What?

ahs483

Jun 17, 2006
Hey Ladies,

I am trying to revamp my beauty routine. Right now I shower, moisturize my face with cetaphil, apply liquid foundation, councealer, then a little powder all over (some random powder I have). Then I use bronzer and blush (nars orgasm + Laguna duo) on my cheeks.

basically, i feel like my routine is just kind of lacking. I think I need a highlighter (any recs?) and what powder should I be using on top of my foundation? I have head you should use bronzer, blush, and a highlighter, so thats what I think I need one.

Also, as far as foundation primers go, I've heard monistat chafing gel is amazing. any input on that?

TIA!

You don't HAVE to use a highlighter! Sometimes if your foundation is dewy enough, it will immediately highlight your skin for you. As far as MY fgo to highlighters, I like the NARS multiple in Copacabana, Benefits high-beam and moon-beam, MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in Soft and Gentle is great and so are their Strobe cream and Strobe liquid products. It really depends what you like and what you want to spend. i'd suggest going to Sephora/a department store like Macys, Saks, Nordstrom near you which have a great beauty department and get the sales associate to try some of their products on you to see what you like best.

I used the chaffing gel, it did nothing for me. I like the L'oreal primer.

Highlight is pretty personal; but I agree with Trolley-Dolly: I love the NARS Copacabana Multiple. It's also more neutral in tone than the Copacabana Illuminator. Anywho, I have very fair cooler-toned skin (NW10ish in MAC terms) and I find MAC Shell Pearl BP (LE), Bobbi Brown Shimmerbrick in Pink, Eyeko Pink 3-in-1 Cream, & the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal. I don't find I need highlighter everyday - I like the Copa at nighttime as I find it very shimmery, especially in comparison to the Becca & Eyeko.

More golden-toned highlighters - like NARS Albatross - just look all kinds of wrong on me, like tacky gold decals.

As far as bronzer: I don't find it a nessecity on me; I also find when I wear bronzer, I have to tailor it a bit more to seasons. Something warmer like Guerlain Terracotta 01 Blondes is (generally) too warm in Wintertime; NYC Sunny & Guerlain #00 Matte Makeup Artists' shades I can wear all year long. However, in the very dead of winter when it's -10 and there's no sun to speak of, I just contour if I feel my face lacks dimension.

As far as primer goes: I don't think it's a nessecity for everyone. If you have duller skin, an illuminating one might help. If you have drier skin and find foundation has a habit of clinging to any flakes (especially if you're using a retinoid or Retin-A) like me, I find a primer can help - but anything that's heavy in the silicones doesn't usually work as well as something like the KORRES Anti-Aging one, for instance.

I usually don't have time to highlight but when I do I use MAC Mineralize skin finish in petticoat.

and ITA with the others that if you don't need primer, why waste time/$$ using it? I have not tried the chafing gel but I rotate between a small handful of primers (NARS, smashbox and chanel le blanc). Each are slightly different and I just use whatever I feel my skin 'needs' that morning.

for powder I swear by MUFE High Def with the kabuki brush. But I like a little bit of dewy glow so I don't use it everwhere. Mostly on my eyelids up to the brow after foundation, and under the eyes too just to 'set' everything.

XXXOO PG

So I'm pretty happy with my routine for the first time in years. I swear, as I get older I get to know myself & what works for my face/looks best on me more and more. :yes:

So here is my routine, sparing the details, is as follows. Just an FYI, I am *very* fair complected and have incredibly sensitive skin....

I was my face with tea tree oil face wash from Body Shop and use a Clarisonic - that is a VERY important portion of my routine. That little Clarisonic has really changed my life. :love: Sometimes I use an exfoliator.. Usually a few times a week... Then I apply tea tree oil moisturizer, also from the Body Shop. After that I use my concealer on any uneven spots, blemishes, etc. Let that dry for a few seconds and apply Tom Ford primer, followed by Tom Ford foundation... My new best friend! After that I use mineral powder all over, Nars Orgasm blush, and a tiny hint of liquid bronzer at the very top of my cheek bones. Gosh typing all of this out makes me feel really high maintenance! :giggles: Moving on... Next I use Urban Decay Primer Potion on my eyelids and fill in my eyebrows with border while it sets a bit. I use a combination of Chanel and Tom Ford eyeshadow pallettes to create a "light" smoky eye for day and dark for night. Line my topic eyelids with a very small wing and the inside of my bottom lids with a soft black pencil eyeliner... Both are Stilla. Finally, Chanel mascara. :nuts:

Whew!!! Anyways, I love makeup and I love to play and try new things, but honestly the most important part is your actual skin care regimen. As long as your skin is flawless, or at least healthy and well taken care of, you'll have a great base to start out with in terms of applying your makeup. I am sorry this became so long-winded, but I hope this helped. :kiss:

^^jenaywins, LOVE your post! I too am very fair neon white (with ruddy cheeks as bonus, LOL). I have not yet tried any Tom Ford products...will have to check them out!

XXXOO PG

Today at MAC, a MA recommended using pigments as a highlighter. He recommended mixing Vanilla & Kitschmas. Haven't tried this combo yet but I plan to tomorrow. I like the highlighters I have from Clinique and Dior. The Clinique highlighter is a liquid and the Dior is a powder. For powder after foundation, I really recommend using MAC's Magically Cool Liquid Powder. It's my favorite. MAC's blot powder is a second favorite of mine.

^^jenaywins, LOVE your post! I too am very fair neon white (with ruddy cheeks as bonus, LOL). I have not yet tried any Tom Ford products...will have to check them out!

XXXOO PG

Aw thank you! :kiss:

I highly recommend Tom Ford cosmetics. The price is daunting for basically everything, but honestly once you try his line you'll know how worth it everything really is. I'm not one to rave, but seriously I've never been happier with a cosmetic line in my life!!!! :biggrin:

I'm reading some of the posts and I'm a bit confused...I thought concealer was something you put on AFTER foundation? I've only recently started to use make up, and the MUA suggested the concealer to be used after foundation because otherwise it rubs off when you apply the foundation.

Just out of curiosity: where do you use the bronzer, and where do you use blush? Do you put the blush on top of the bronzer?

i put the bronzer on my cheek bones, like sweeping up, and little over my forehead like where my eye brows are, and a little on my chin. the blush i put on my cheek bones. I usually just swipe it on and its not very precise.

I've always wondered EXACTLY where it should go...any tips? Where should bronzer/blush/highliter go?

I usually don't have time to highlight but when I do I use MAC Mineralize skin finish in petticoat.

and ITA with the others that if you don't need primer, why waste time/$$ using it? I have not tried the chafing gel but I rotate between a small handful of primers (NARS, smashbox and chanel le blanc). Each are slightly different and I just use whatever I feel my skin 'needs' that morning.

for powder I swear by MUFE High Def with the kabuki brush. But I like a little bit of dewy glow so I don't use it everwhere. Mostly on my eyelids up to the brow after foundation, and under the eyes too just to 'set' everything.

XXXOO PG
thanks! ill look into that!

So I'm pretty happy with my routine for the first time in years. I swear, as I get older I get to know myself & what works for my face/looks best on me more and more. :yes:

So here is my routine, sparing the details, is as follows. Just an FYI, I am *very* fair complected and have incredibly sensitive skin....

I was my face with tea tree oil face wash from Body Shop and use a Clarisonic - that is a VERY important portion of my routine. That little Clarisonic has really changed my life. :love: Sometimes I use an exfoliator.. Usually a few times a week... Then I apply tea tree oil moisturizer, also from the Body Shop. After that I use my concealer on any uneven spots, blemishes, etc. Let that dry for a few seconds and apply Tom Ford primer, followed by Tom Ford foundation... My new best friend! After that I use mineral powder all over, Nars Orgasm blush, and a tiny hint of liquid bronzer at the very top of my cheek bones. Gosh typing all of this out makes me feel really high maintenance! :giggles: Moving on... Next I use Urban Decay Primer Potion on my eyelids and fill in my eyebrows with border while it sets a bit. I use a combination of Chanel and Tom Ford eyeshadow pallettes to create a "light" smoky eye for day and dark for night. Line my topic eyelids with a very small wing and the inside of my bottom lids with a soft black pencil eyeliner... Both are Stilla. Finally, Chanel mascara. :nuts:

Whew!!! Anyways, I love makeup and I love to play and try new things, but honestly the most important part is your actual skin care regimen. As long as your skin is flawless, or at least healthy and well taken care of, you'll have a great base to start out with in terms of applying your makeup. I am sorry this became so long-winded, but I hope this helped. :kiss:

very helpful. if you don't mind me asking, what kind of mineral powder do you use? where do you put the nars blush? and how do you use liquid bronzer? Thanks!

very helpful. if you don't mind me asking, what kind of mineral powder do you use? where do you put the nars blush? and how do you use liquid bronzer? Thanks!

So the funny thing is that I've tried all types of loose powders... And the best one I've found is literally nine bucks at drugstores! I use Maybeline Mineral Powder:

http://www.soap.com/p/maybelline-mi...=pla&ci_sku=ALO-132&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

It claims to be a foundation, but although it's buildable, I'd hardly call it a "foundation." It's definitely just a great loose powder. When worn over actual liquid foundation, it creates literally the most flawless look I've ever seen.

To apply my NARS blush, I make a kissy face and apply lightly up and down my cheeks, if that makes sense. I build up a little more at the top of my cheek bones to build more drama.

I use a very small amount of very *light* liquid bronzer at the very top of my cheek bones and distribute downward.

I hope this makes sense; it's kind of hard describing how I apply things rather than showing! :P