Lindy As Mama Bag?

peonies13

Sep 11, 2019
Background... with my first kiddo I used a traditional big diaper bag and then quickly transitioned from that to a large-ish hobo / tote style handbag when I realized much of my "just in case" baby stuff could live in the car rather than in the bag. Plus since I don't carry much of my own stuff (my daily driver is an Evie TPM), the bulk of the space in the hobo went to kid necessities. The hobo wasn't a particularly beautiful handbag, but it was better than a diaper bag and I used it for 2+ yrs. Now that I look back, I think I shouldn't have relegated my adult bags to the closet during that time since I get so much joy from them.

So.... What do you all think is the best mama bag from H? I'm thinking maybe a preloved Lindy so I wouldn't worry about spills etc? And if so, what size would you go with? I'd always leaned toward smaller (26) but I wouldn't want to fill it so much it loses its shape. Please send me any/all suggestions :smile: And yep I know the GP is a mama fave, but it's never jumped out at me as something I'd be willing to spend on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lejic
I refused to use a traditional diaper bag and I alternated between my Lindy 30 (clemence) and Toolbox 26 (swift) as one. I think the Toolbox was easier because it opens all the way and you can see everything inside. The shape and structure of the toolbox also helps better with organizing things inside and keeping them in place (like bottles always standing up, etc). I used inserts for both which helped protect the bags from spills.

Reactions: peonies13
I refused to use a traditional diaper bag and I alternated between my Lindy 30 (clemence) and Toolbox 26 (swift) as one. I think the Toolbox was easier because it opens all the way and you can see everything inside. The shape and structure of the toolbox also helps better with organizing things inside and keeping them in place (like bottles always standing up, etc). I used inserts for both which helped protect the bags from spills.
Thank you! I was actually thinking Toolbox but the shoulder strap seems awkward (and short?) to me, did you find that? It's also very wide which seems a bit akward?

Do love your idea of an organizer for the Lindy, didn't even think of that. Did Swift hold up for you considering that (at least for me) some amount of "laisez faire" comes with having your hands full?

Non sequitur, I actually love the Evie PM on others, but even with the little I carry in my TPM the front and back both show some stretch marks from the occasions when I toss in an extra item. Even with an organizer for the PM, I suspect the shape would make that hard to avoid.

Reactions: raylyn and odette57
No kids here, but a close friend loves her lindys as a mumma bag. She has a toddler and has said between her 26s and 30s, the latter is better capacity wise.

No kids here, but a close friend loves her lindys as a mumma bag. She has a toddler and has said between her 26s and 30s, the latter is better capacity wise.
Nice, thank you. I would have gone for a 26 at one point but I think that'd have to be off the table for kiddo purposes. Would she share photos of how it's packed / what fits without overstuffing...

Thank you! I was actually thinking Toolbox but the shoulder strap seems awkward (and short?) to me, did you find that? It's also very wide which seems a bit akward?

Do love your idea of an organizer for the Lindy, didn't even think of that. Did Swift hold up for you considering that (at least for me) some amount of "laisez faire" comes with having your hands full?

Non sequitur, I actually love the Evie PM on others, but even with the little I carry in my TPM the front and back both show some stretch marks from the occasions when I toss in an extra item. Even with an organizer for the PM, I suspect the shape would make that hard to avoid.
The strap of the Toolbox is a little unorthodox, not too short but not too long. It worked for me (I'm 5'2). As far as swift, I can't say enough good things about it (I have a few bags in swift), it is durable. Water spills will just need to be wiped off and it would look like nothing happened.

Reactions: peonies13
The strap of the Toolbox is a little unorthodox, not too short but not too long. It worked for me (I'm 5'2). As far as swift, I can't say enough good things about it (I have a few bags in swift), it is durable. Water spills will just need to be wiped off and it would look like nothing happened.
Gotcha, that strap would probably be too short. Thank you re. the swift info - water spills were what I always wondered about. I love smooth leathers, swift is a fave but I don't have anything in it yet! One specific question about swift, do you find water spills wipe off only darker colors or would they also wipe off a mid-tone colors like gold or even mid/light grays or would those show water stains?

I use my etoupe evelyne GM as my mommy bag. I have 3 boys ages 6, 4, and 1.5, and it holds the basics (wipes, extra diaper, wallet, keys, phone, a few small snacks) for short outings. I did have a lindy 30, but I prefer the cross-shoulder option of the evelyne. Long outings, I need a backpack (water bottles, big snacks, change of clothes, etc.).

I use my etoupe evelyne GM as my mommy bag. I have 3 boys ages 6, 4, and 1.5, and it holds the basics (wipes, extra diaper, wallet, keys, phone, a few small snacks) for short outings. I did have a lindy 30, but I prefer the cross-shoulder option of the evelyne. Long outings, I need a backpack (water bottles, big snacks, change of clothes, etc.).
Thanks for the tip on the GM and good call on cross body. I love cross body bags and I already love my Evie TPM so perhaps I should reconsider a larger size. Do you use an organizer with yours to keep at least a little structure? And with your L30, do you find the size is ok even though it's not cross body?

Thanks for the tip on the GM and good call on cross body. I love cross body bags and I already love my Evie TPM so perhaps I should reconsider a larger size. Do you use an organizer with yours to keep at least a little structure? And with your L30, do you find the size is ok even though it's not cross body?

I don't use any organizers on my bags, except for my giant Goyard totes. Things don't shift too much, but I mainly have large items. I put small items (lip balm, bandaids, etc.) in a smaller pouch.

As for the Lindy 30, I think that size was best for me proportionally, but it may not fit all I may need for kids. I didn't use the Lindy all that much, and when I did, it wasn't with kids (shopping trips, lunches). I usually wore it over the shoulder, and it was okay, but it has bulky proportions. I like hands free, so crossbody definitely for me! I even extend my K35 strap to crossbody so I can use for light child outings.

Hope that helped!