Like a Furminator, but cheaper

Sep 13, 2007
We have a rescue dog of whom we are told by his former foster home loves, loves, loves a nightly brush-down with a Furminator. At the pet stores around here Furminators run $50+. Can anyone recommend a Furminator-like grooming tool that's cheaper? I'm told they exist but I haven't been able to find one.

undercoat rake

Ah! Thank you! I googled "undercoat rake" and there appear to be a number of recommended ones.

Thank you for the link. I've heard that there are loads of counterfeit Furminators on ebay and Craigslist.

Gosh, these things are pricey! Since this is a basset hound with very short fur I may just stick with the little rubber Zoom Groom.

If he is a Bassett you probably don't need the undercoat rake and can stick with one of those wire brushes. I'm sure he just loves the attention more than anything else. :biggrin:

If he is a Bassett you probably don't need the undercoat rake and can stick with one of those wire brushes. I'm sure he just loves the attention more than anything else. :biggrin:

I think you're right. Yesterday I spent about 30 minutes grooming him, then he followed me outside to watch me garden. When my back was turned he plops down in a big muddy hole to take a snooze. And all that white newly-groomed fur.... :P I've read basset hound lovers raving about how much their dogs love the Furminator. But this one's coat is so short and sleek it's almost seal-like. I think the wire brush will probably be just fine.

We have a rescue dog of whom we are told by his former foster home loves, loves, loves a nightly brush-down with a Furminator. At the pet stores around here Furminators run $50+. Can anyone recommend a Furminator-like grooming tool that's cheaper? I'm told they exist but I haven't been able to find one.

Fur-go-pet very similar to Furminator . It is sold at Target for about $25; not cheap but still cheaper than furminator. I find it to be very effective at removing large amounts of hair from my 2 cats. Be careful with furminator and furminator-like combs, especially with short hair dogs because the teeth can scratch the skin. Short-haired cats have much longer coats than short-haired dogs.

Fur-go-pet very similar to Furminator . It is sold at Target for about $25; not cheap but still cheaper than furminator. I find it to be very effective at removing large amounts of hair from my 2 cats. Be careful with furminator and furminator-like combs, especially with short hair dogs because the teeth can scratch the skin. Short-haired cats have much longer coats than short-haired dogs.

Ooh! Thank you for the recommendation!

I found another product similar to a Furminator offered on Drs. Foster & Smith. The Oster ShedMonster for about $17:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...=pla&catargetid=530005150000109497&cadevice=c

Ooh! Thank you for the recommendation!

I found another product similar to a Furminator offered on Drs. Foster & Smith. The Oster ShedMonster for about $17:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...=pla&catargetid=530005150000109497&cadevice=c

NP! The Shedmonster sounds like a good product, similar to the Mars coat king stripper used by groomers. I saw a similar item at Walmart and am considering picking it up. I like that the teeth are rounded and wont scratch, but i was worried that it wouldn't grip short hair. How well does it work for you?