Lightening Dyed Black Hair

VeeDubGirl

O.G.
Aug 1, 2006
About 5 months ago I dyed my hair black. Previously I had been blonde (bleached) and had slowly filled in the color in about a years time, eventually until I got to black. I'm lucky in that I have really healthy hair and have little to no damage.

My natural color is a dark brown, and I have about 5 inches on natural growth at my roots, and the fadeout from the black has settled into a blackish/brown that mostly blends into my roots.

However, as I'm sure many of you can sympathize, I'm sick of the color! I always get bored (I know it's terrible to want to change it so much!) But, what I would really like to do is have it lightened to a chocolaty/dark coffee brown and eventually get some caramel highlights (staying more medium to light brown for the highlights instead on a blonde)

I would of course have a pro do this, but what I want to know is, do you guys think this would be doable? Have any of you done something like this before? DO you think I'll need them to strip out the black color, or will it not be too difficult to just lighten to a brown?

TIA :heart::smile:

I had dyed black hair not too long ago, and got it taken out. The salon I went to did have to strip the black out (it just wasnt possible to put another color over black), but my hair was not actually damaged from them doing so, just slightly dry at the ends. Its well worth it to go to the salon so they can strip the black, and I definatly think that you will be able to get your desired color(or pretty close to it) after they take the black out (after they stripped my hair it was actually pretty light).
good luck!

Same here^^. I have med/dark brown hair and dyed my hair black several years ago. I wanted to go back to my natural hair color but had to get it done professionally. They had to strip the black dye out so that my hair was basically blonde then dye my hair to its natural state. It was a little drier than the normal state of my hair undyed but it grew out.

To answer your question, it's def doable.

^^ Same for me too!

I once dyed my hair "medium chestnut brown" with this crap in a box from the drugstore. My hair turned black and crispy and it was SO disgusting. I went in to have it stripped and they gave me this long lecture about how it could make my hair fall out etc, but it was fine. It got me back to my natural color and then they cut off the damaged ends. I went in looking like bride of Frankenstein and left with nice silky hair. It was seriously miraculous!

It's doable. I've had it done a million times! I don't know what everyone else means by getting the black stripped, but my stylist will usually bleach the black hair a little and then apply the new colour. I've never had a problem with it except for the time my friend and I tried to to it by ourselves lol.

I had syed my hair black for like 3 years straight... I finally wanted something different and it took EIGHT hours to get all the black out of my hair... My hair was about mid back length and thick!

Sooo I stuck with a lighter brown for a while and now today I got it cut and dyed it brownish/black myself... LOL! I don't know what's wrong with me, I kep coming back to the dark color and I have no idea why!

I'd definitely go to a pro. I used to dye my hair black. I decided to lighten it and it turned bright orange. Then I bleached it again and it it turned bright yellow. After that at some point I started dying my hair black again. When I wanted to get it to a more natural shade I went to a pro and she did a great job without killing it. She did a combination of dying and highlighting and it came out pretty natural looking.