light exposure= turning to yellow?!?!

ehy210

O.G.
Apr 21, 2011
After ive spend a million years deciding if i want to get the leo insolite wallet in blanc coral, I decided i was finally gonna get it! I went to Saks today to purchase the wallet but they only had one left, which was the display. I refused to get it. Part of the white/creme background had a tint of yellow! I compared it witht he leo sarah wallet and sarah's background color was white, not yellow. I had heard somewhere that it may turn yellow due to exposure of sunlight but I didn't think I would see it on a display piece(assuming its fairly new).

I asked the SA and she gave me this attitude as if I just asked a ridiculous question and assured me that it would NOT change in the sunlight no matter what. Then the manager pulled something out of nowhere and said that the paint is hand mixed so thats why it was yellow- which I thought was complete bogus because only a part(but majority) of the wallet had a yellow background. I left the store soo upset and called 1-866-VUITTON in the car. The representative said that it was probably caused by the sun but could not comfirm that if I bought the wallet, it would definitely do the same thing.

I am not an expert with LV and have only been a fan for about a year. I need YOUR expertise! Is this "light exposure" business for real? Was it just that one piece I saw or will this happen for sure? has this happened to any other LV pieces? Because I refuse to spend $805 on a pink and yellow leopard print wallet. Please help!!

I will attach the same picture that you all have probably seen from my previous threads asking about this wallet.

picture compliments of Meowchung

insolite.jpg

it happens on vernis peices - the lighter white ones turn yellow due to sun exposure...

Not sure if it happened here though... Did you take pics of the one in the store?

I'm fairly certain that all the light-colored vernis will yellow over time if exposed to significant light (or will have color transfer if comes into contact with dyes). I think this is just a fact of life with patent leather surfaces in the lighter colors. You just need to check out the various ebay listings for older vernis items to see samples of discolored patent. But, I don't think it takes a lot of effort to take care of the wallet to avoid the yellowing -- just don't leave it lying out in the sun or in contact with dark dyes. Also, I have asked LV telephone reps about their warranty and they have all said that there really is no warranty. Rather, problems are handled on a case-by-case basis.

No i didn't take picture of the one in the store. I was just so bummed. It didn't make it any better when the SA and manager acted like I was being too picky. Will LV do anything about the piece turning yellow if its within a year since its under warranty? I wouldn't even consider warranty if LV would tell me a straight answer- but some say it wont turn yellow, some say its the paint, some say its the light, and then i forgot the representative said something about "oxidation." Im getting all these different answers.

I don't think you were being too picky at all!! No way I would spend that much money on the wallet with the possibility of yellowing. :nogood:

I'm fairly certain that all the light-colored vernis will yellow over time if exposed to significant light (or will have color transfer if comes into contact with dyes). I think this is just a fact of life with patent leather surfaces in the lighter colors. You just need to check out the various ebay listings for older vernis items to see samples of discolored patent. But, I don't think it takes a lot of effort to take care of the wallet to avoid the yellowing -- just don't leave it lying out in the sun or in contact with dark dyes. Also, I have asked LV telephone reps about their warranty and they have all said that there really is no warranty. Rather, problems are handled on a case-by-case basis.

Thanks! I didn't even realize that the interior was considered patent leather because it still has a grainy texture even though its shiny. I was just surprised that the display turned that color- it shouldn't have been out in the sun much at all.

Thanks! I didn't even realize that the interior was considered patent leather because it still has a grainy texture even though its shiny. I was just surprised that the display turned that color- it shouldn't have been out in the sun much at all.

Oh, sorry. I thought you were referring to the exterior vernis (for some reason your photo didn't show up until after my post). The interior is NOT patent leather -- I think it is similar to LV's standard taiga-type embossed leather. In that case, it really should not yellow very easily. It does seem like it would have been just a difference in dye lots...

Are they suppose to yellow with the leopard print ones?? That is odd, vernis does yellow over time on lighter colours i think it is due to the varnish that they coat on the vernis??? And the yellowing shows up on the lighter colours.. U did mention that the leopard print interior is kinda shiny, is it possibly thye put some kind of varnish as well over the top and that led to it yellowing after being exposed to the sun?

Just try going to a LV boutique, they may have a few in stock, so you can choose the perfect one.
Hv you checked out insolite in other colours?

Yes ive checked the other color insolites. Im not crazy about the solid pink one they have out right now- it has a tint of red. I love the shade of light pink in the white MC insolite, but im not a fan of MC so that doens't help lol.

Are they suppose to yellow with the leopard print ones?? That is odd, vernis does yellow over time on lighter colours i think it is due to the varnish that they coat on the vernis??? And the yellowing shows up on the lighter colours.. U did mention that the leopard print interior is kinda shiny, is it possibly thye put some kind of varnish as well over the top and that led to it yellowing after being exposed to the sun?

i have no ideaa what the deal is. Im getting different answers from LV from different people. The SA looked at me like i was crazy for saying it would change color in the sun. But the representative on the phone said it may be due to the sun, but wouldn't confirm that it will always happen or not.

I was trying to research on possible oxidisation of light coloured emprinte leather specifically in creme colour n was wondering if anyone might know if LV emprinte leather in creme colour has this tendency to turn yellow over time? Studying if creme colour Madeline in emprinte leather is viable in terms of its colour longevity ....anyone knows? Thanks

Reactions: baby*my*bags