Light colored BV's

Sep 6, 2007
I am about to purchase an off-white medium hobo bag for the summer.
I have had a friend recently tell me to never get a white BV as they are near impossible to keep clean compared to other designers.:sad:
Please share any thoughts/experiences with light colored BV's...before I make the plunge...they are holding the bag for me only for 2 days!!:s

ps. not planning to use it everyday...still I would like to be able to use it years ahead:love:

Since lambskin BV leather is so soft and supple, I agree with your friend that it would be hard to maintain. For piece of mind, I would recommend either a tougher BV leather or a darker color.

pandabear, I for one know that I cannot keep a light colored bag clean regardless of the leather or the designer. My biggest problem is color transfer from denim, dark linen and dark cotton clothing. Since I prefer shoulder bags, there's always contact between what I'm wearing and the bag.

This is the lovely Marmo hobo in mind...

Was going to sell my white Balenciaga box (that I never used) to replace this with:confused1:

But you ladies are both right...think i will wait it out for a darker grey in the fall...:girlsigh:

Last edited:
I only wear white top or dress when I use my white Veneta and I store it in dustbag as soon as I get home. My SA informed me to be really careful when using light color BV. I have used it a handful of times and so far so good. I prefer my darker color BV a lot as I don't have to baby it so much.

Since lambskin BV leather is so soft and supple, I agree with your friend that it would be hard to maintain. For piece of mind, I would recommend either a tougher BV leather or a darker color.

which is a tougher BV leather? I just had color transfer from jeans onto a light colored Beguelin bag and now I'm afraid to use my poudre deerskin BV.

FYI - a little cleaning with baby wipes took off most of the stain, but I'm not sure how useful it is to have a bag that you can't wear with jeans. I just go back and forth on this poudre bag, but it is beautiful

I've had Poudre deerskin BV and never had a color transfer problem. However, I rarely wear jeans, but I do wear dark colors. The deerskin is sturdier than Nappa, obviously.

I am still trying to decide whether to keep my Marmo Roma. I love the color but am scared to wear it. I'm not normally afraid of light bags, I have had good luck with the heavy leather of the Chloe Paddingtons, but this bag seems fragile and I can't imagine sitting in down on something (no feet). So I'm waiting on the Ottone Sloane to come and will make final decision then. I hate to let it go, the blue suede interior is stunning.

I think BV comes up with the most beautiful light colours, which I personally LOVE, but can't maintain, cos I'm such a magnet for dirt :shame:

Unless you are willing to baby your bags, I seriously would advise against getting light coloured BVs, cos colour transferance will be an issue due to the untreated BV leathers etc.

I'm considering a medium Marmo Veneta as well, but am concerned about keeping my bag clean and pristine so I can wear it for years. But I think the consensus on this thread is that it's difficult to, and a trouble to maintain?

Just be sure to treat the bag before wear. I know it's somewhat scandalous to treat bags, but I've found it's the only way to keep them protected and clean, and I have personally never noticed a difference in the color or leather softness/feel afterward.

Has anyone purchased a purse in Ash (F/W 2008 color)? This color is beautiful but I'm not sure if it's still too light and difficult to keep clean....

i have seen the Ash IRL and it is lovely. it is like a taupe color or etoupe, and IMO is not too light. here is a good representation of the color.... and it also happens to be one of my fav bags for the season :nuts:

attachment.php