Tech Life Expectancy of a Mac PowerBook G4

ETenebris

O.G.
Feb 4, 2006
I have a Mac PowerBook G4 that has developed a serious screen "flicker" issue. The screen is so bad (when it happens) that I cannot use it and tomorrow I am taking it in to the Apple Store. I am not techy at all, so I don't propose to know what is causing this, and it is happening at least several times each time I use the computer...sometimes it resolves itself, sometimes I have to whack the base and it readjusts (yes, I know this is bad, but it's the only thing that works). :wtf:

I work two jobs AND I am a student, and I rely on my computer as a critical tool in all three of these activities, so I cannot afford for it to have any significant "down time." Assuming the news from Apple tomorrow is not tragic and they fix it, how long can I expect this computer to function? I am considering an upgrade to Leopard (mostly to get Time Machine so I will have a good backup system -- something I had to do manually this go-round) if the screen repair is minor. I would appreciate any advice you can give me!

I'm not good with tech stuff either but hopefully it's just a bad connection which they can repair easily.

I too have a G4 which I purchased in Oct 2004 and it's still in perfect working condition (except the battery life is shorter so I usually just keep it plugged in). I recently upgraded to Leopard and it seems to run better/faster. I have no idea how long it will last me.. hopefully a few more years?

My iBook G4 is still chugging along. I didn't know about Leopard though.

Battery is shot, but otherwise doing well. I hope yours gets fixed! I know what you mean about not being able to afford too much downtime....

I had a G4 for work. Overall it was fine, but there were some issues. I think updating to Leopard would help. I work for a non-profit, and my project received a grant for a new computer, so I just recently got a new MacBook Pro (we gave the G4 to an intern). One of my co-workers also has a G4 and it is REALLY slow and getting slower. He is having other issues as well. I say hold out as long as you can, but it does seem like 4 years may be the limit before problems start setting in.