Letting go of items you don't use...

sarahjsee

Dec 24, 2013
I have an item in my collection that I have used maybe once since I purchased it over a year ago. I bought it because I heard it was being discontinued and I knew I wanted a piece in that print. The problem is while I love having it in my collection and I love pulling it out every now and again to stare at it, I just don't use it. My question is, when do you know it's time to let go of an item? I have never parted ways with any of my items before and am struggling with this decision. Another possible deciding factor, I have my eye on a few bags but since I am expecting my first child at the end of the year I also have to think about saving for our new arrival as well. Anything helps. Thanks in advance for your opinions and suggestions!

Is it a multicolore item? I think it also depends on how expensive the item is. I think something for $300 might be worth keeping if you just love it but don't use it rather than a $2000 bag that you love but don't use. More information please :smile:

I have an item in my collection that I have used maybe once since I purchased it over a year ago. I bought it because I heard it was being discontinued and I knew I wanted a piece in that print. The problem is while I love having it in my collection and I love pulling it out every now and again to stare at it, I just don't use it.My question is, when do you know it's time to let go of an item? I have never parted ways with any of my items before and am struggling with this decision. Another possible deciding factor, I have my eye on a few bags but since I am expecting my first child at the end of the year I also have to think about saving for our new arrival as well. Anything helps. Thanks in advance for your opinions and suggestions!
If you aren't using it, then it's time to sell. That's basically what it comes down to. How often have you used it in the last 6 months? Someone else asked a similar question about their multicolore items and the advice is the same, use the $$ towards something you'll actually use.

Submit pics to Couture USA, Yoogis closet and Fashiophile (if you're in the US) to see what they offer. That might also help with the decision, seeing a real quote on the value of the item. EBay will always get your more, but it requires more work and potential hassle.

Is it a multicolore item? I think it also depends on how expensive the item is. I think something for $300 might be worth keeping if you just love it but don't use it rather than a $2000 bag that you love but don't use. More information please :smile:
It is! It's a white multicolor slg. I LOVE staring at it lol. Just not using it apparently. I feel awful that I don't use it. It's been a dilemma I've been thinking about for awhile. I hate holding onto things no matter what they are if I don't use it.

If you aren't using it, then it's time to sell. That's basically what it comes down to. How often have you used it in the last 6 months? Someone else asked a similar question about their multicolore items and the advice is the same, use the $$ towards something you'll actually use.

Submit pics to Couture USA, Yoogis closet and Fashiophile (if you're in the US) to see what they offer. That might also help with the decision, seeing a real quote on the value of the item. EBay will always get your more, but it requires more work and potential hassle.
Thank you, I appreciate the advice!

It is! It's a white multicolor slg. I LOVE staring at it lol. Just not using it apparently. I feel awful that I don't use it. It's been a dilemma I've been thinking about for awhile. I hate holding onto things no matter what they are if I don't use it.
I think if it makes so happy to have than maybe you should just try to get over the fear of using it (assuming thats what it is) and just stick your stuff in it!! Considering that you'll have trouble getting them again, I wouldn't be so quick to sell it. I would try to make a better effort to use it before you consider selling it. Im usually on the "if you don't use it then its a waste" train but I feel like you should keep trying.

It took me a year to finally use my Multicolore Cles. I thought it was too pretty and nice to use so I just used my Azur Cles instead. Now I use it everyday and enjoy the heck out of it. Discontinued or not, there's no use keeping it enshrined, lol.

I say give the piece one more chance and if it doesn't work for you then, follow the other poster's advice, get a quote you can live with, and sell :smile:

Expensive, limited, first bag, etc I would sell it. One of the number 1 rules I live by are not to have anything I don't use. I either sell it or give it away. My house is very organized and we have no clutter, because of this. Same goes for my kids.

Expensive, limited, first bag, etc I would sell it. One of the number 1 rules I live by are not to have anything I don't use. I either sell it or give it away. My house is very organized and we have no clutter, because of this. Same goes for my kids.

This is a good philosophy! I need to follow this more!

I think if it makes so happy to have than maybe you should just try to get over the fear of using it (assuming thats what it is) and just stick your stuff in it!! Considering that you'll have trouble getting them again, I wouldn't be so quick to sell it. I would try to make a better effort to use it before you consider selling it. Im usually on the "if you don't use it then its a waste" train but I feel like you should keep trying.

I'm with you on this! If there's a split second of debate when I ask "would I miss it?" then I don't get rid of an item. I have an MC noir wallet that I don't use. It's a little too big. But it's in perfect condition. It's gorgeous. I like looking at it. I'm not ready to sell it. I feel like I'd regret it. And there's no getting it back now. The day will likely come when I sell it, but I don't want to do it now because I'd always look back and wonder if I should have waited.

if item is just sitting in the dustbag for soooo long... I would sell it. I used to tell myself, I would not sell my limited edition pieces... but it's just a waste.. esp. when you see the resell value declined... ugh.. time to go..

I'm letting go of 4 LV'S and went with Yoogis. They were the highest buy out offer. ☺just waiting g for the shipping label to arrive. This is my first time selling.

I agree with the others. It shouldn't matter whether it's limited edition or not. Whether you like it and get decent use out of it, is what counts. There's no point in it sitting in the cubboard collecting dusk, while it can be sold and the money put towards something else you like, and have been eyeing. The longer it sits, the longer it could lose value as well. That is something else to consider. Especially with your new addition on the way, I reckon you should try it one more time, and see if there is a use for it in your collection. Else, sell it and put it towards another bag you like, or a baby bag for that matter. I'm sure you'll be needing one of those soon. Good luck with your decision. The first sell is always the hardest,... After that you'll feel better.