Let's talk watches!

ShopAddikt

Must-not-shop
O.G.
Jan 19, 2009
NYC
I need some opinions/direction regarding higher end watches. My birthday is next week and of course Im treating myself to something nice. I have everything really except a "nice" watch. Originally I didnt want a diamond bezel or anything Tag Heuer but of course, I end up buying (on impulse) a Tag with a diamond bezel because it was such a great deal. Now this is my first timepiece so there will be more in the future but Im unsure of how I feel about the brand compared to Rolex or Breitling (which I LOVE but dont want to spend 5k yet). Is tag even considered a really nice watch? Idk. It seems like the focus on nicer watches is geared towards men. Im confused!

www.certifiedwatchstore.com/product_images/cache/269x472//wac1215.ba0852__66658_zoom.jpg

uafly1

Nov 30, 2005
If it was good deal and you are happy, that should be what matters. I just went through watch drama and I decided to get what would make me happy and not worry so much about brand names. I started out with Rolex and ended up with Omega. I am very happy.

ShopAddikt

Must-not-shop
O.G.
Jan 19, 2009
NYC
If it was good deal and you are happy, that should be what matters. I just went through watch drama and I decided to get what would make me happy and not worry so much about brand names. I started out with Rolex and ended up with Omega. I am very happy.
Well, unfortunately I take the opinions of people close to me to heart so it kind of confused me. Basically, I "bought an overpriced guess watch" :S I guess Im just more indecisive because nothing I really want is in my current price range but for $1500 (MSRP $2800) I feel like I shouldnt be confused either.

jellyv

O.G.
Mar 29, 2006
I've seen this Tag in watch forums, as a choice of spouses of Rolex collectors. They could buy Rolex but choose a blingy Tag. Plenty of interest in pieces like this among women--and many if not most women buy for design, more so than for fine watchmaking and complications.

Buy what you like. It's for pleasure and not investment anyway.

bagsforme

O.G.
Nov 8, 2006
Well it sounds like you would be settling on a watch because its a good deal. Then you won't be completely satisfied with it. I've considered trading my Tag for a new watch but one jeweler I spoke with said they aren't worth much and have been giving them away as prizes for contests in their store. I've also looked on ebay and resale isn't great.

You can get a preowned Rolex or Breitling for a reasonable price.

I was just in Vegas and one store had 30% off a bunch of Breitlings.

ShopAddikt

Must-not-shop
O.G.
Jan 19, 2009
NYC
Well it sounds like you would be settling on a watch because its a good deal. Then you won't be completely satisfied with it. I've considered trading my Tag for a new watch but one jeweler I spoke with said they aren't worth much and have been giving them away as prizes for contests in their store. I've also looked on ebay and resale isn't great.

You can get a preowned Rolex or Breitling for a reasonable price.

I was just in Vegas and one store had 30% off a bunch of Breitlings.
Thats exactly my hesitation. I want a nice watch thatll hold some of its value. Maybe im just over thinking this whole thing.