Let's talk relocation

Becca4277

www.petfinder.com
O.G.
Jan 3, 2006
My husband finished his MBA this past December so he decided it was time to move on to something more challenging. So he landed a job at GE in Skeneatles, NY which means we will be moving AGAIN. :cry: We have relocated for his career 4x already. This time will be much more difficult since we now have children. Our house was on the market for a total of 6 days before it was sold (we are signing the papers today). So now I must find a new house within the next few weeks in NY since we close on this house April 28th.

I am so stressed out it is not even funny. Can anyone relate? How many times have you moved? I have lived in 5 different places (all in different states) within 10 years. What makes it really bad is that my husband is moving there on March 19th so I will be with the kids by myself for almost 6 weeks. I swear I am one step from in-patient therapy. :wacko:

Sorry, just needed to vent. Can anyone relate or give me words of wisdom? I know it is the best thing for our family, I just HATE the whole process.

I'm an Army wife & before that I lived with my hippy-never-hold-still mother...I've moved a LOT.

Since I grew up moving so much I really sometimes just wish we could sit still & find a home we love & never leave.

But, I also get excited about the thoughts of moving...think of it as a new beginning! New places to visit, walks to explore, people to meet. It really can be fun.

We've been in OK 3 years now, my husband has been here only 1 1/2 & the rest of the time deployed which really *stinks*. Right now we are hoping we will be stationed in WA by next summer. :smile:

Relax. Have fun with it!

http://lovelyvanities.typepad.com/my_pretty/

Moving is always stressful, moving with the whole entire family is even more stressful. when we moved around New York I could not even think about packing it was so hard, So I invited some girlfriends over to help me begin the packing process it was so much easier to have the support and help of my friends. We had so much fun ,we ordered chinese food , we played music and dance a little. This helped me alot, We also hired professinal packers to do the really big pieces eg.. dismantling funiture.
I hope this helps.

I've moved about 7 times in the past 5 years (mostly for school, but not including moving around dorms). I am in NYC now, but will be faced with moving again in May, as my fiance is finishing his masters and moving to a PhD program. I'll get to stay still for at least 2 years, but then we'll be all over the place when he tries to get a tenure-track position. It's pretty difficult for me because I am trying to start my career in architecture. We also want a family soon, but I just don't see how it's going to happen in the shuffle. It's soooo expensive to keep moving this way, especially when I have only been working since May.

Funny, I was going to post a similar topic! Our landlord came to pick up the rent yesterday and told us that he would be raising our rent should we decide to sign another year's lease. We love our home, it's a nice 2/2 with a patio and 2-car garage in a country club/golf community. We got a great deal when we moved in because we were in college.

The bf and I have been seriously considering a move to South Florida to be closer to our families. My grandparents aren't getting any younger, they're not driving into town by themselves anymore, and I need to be there to help my mom take care of them. Our friends are graduating college and moving back to that area, we're the only ones living up here. But, the rent in that area is so damn expensive! We just don't know if it's worth giving up our house to live in an apartment or townhouse for $1200/month. But, if we decide to stay and sign a 6-month lease or so, just to see how things go, the rent would be around $1000, so it's only $100 more a month. Jobs pay more in South Florida, I like it there more than I do here, and I think it's about time we move back.

I have moved a few times before. My advice is that it's going to be stressful no matter what, so try not to add anymore unwanted stress on top of everything else. If something doesn't go as planned, it's all right. It will work out. I'm a very "have a schedule and stick to it" type of person when it comes to stuff like this, and I've had to learn to lighten up a lot. Try to make as much time for yourself as possible, and do things you enjoy (shop, read, take a bubble bath, eat cheesecake, whatever).

Everything will work out! Good luck :nuts: :love:

Becca, we have moved 3 times in the past 5 years - the last time with two kiddos. I can relate!!! Actually, wanted to write to tell you that I went to school in Albany and lived in the Albany/Clifton Park area for over 6 years. It is a great area - lots to do. Have you gone to look for houses yet? I don't know if you are working with a relo company, but I worked as Real Property attorney when I lived there and know lots of people in the real estate world. I could make some recommendations, if you needed any.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you and your family. It really is a great area - close to everything. Where are you moving from?

Becca, I'm sorry you're stressed out! But remember it's just a temporary problem, once you're all settled hopefully you can stay put for a while... best wishes! And CONGRATULATIONS to your husband on finishing his MBA!!!

I've moved so many times -- all through school, when I was a kid. And, as a young adult I've lived all over the place.

There's no doubt that moving, in itself, is stressful and horrible (the details, like turning off services and switching them on, the packing -- even if movers are hired, the unpacking, the losing of things).

But it's OK, once you settle in to the new place. And I guess I wouldn't want to have lived in one place all of my life, now I think about it.

Hi Becca, I can totally relate. I've moved 23 times in 4 different countries (Australia, New Zealand, Holland and Singapore). Just with my husbands work, in the last 12 years, we've moved 14 times. Dad was in the army and my husband works for an international mining company. It's never easy, especially with children. If you can, find a fabulous babysitter or family member to take the kids for a couple of hours while you get a massage, or have a time out. Moving is always stressful, moving with kids is a whole other story. Good luck, hope everything goes smoothly.

I can relate - in a sense. I've moved into 4 different apartments in the last 3.5 years. It's nowhere near as stressful as house-moving, but I can definitely relate. I work so much that there is hardly anytime to really look for a place or move. Good luck, and feel free to vent away!

Thank you all for the kind words and support. I think I will feel better once we have picked out our new home. At the very least, I am finally losing the extra lbs I put on through the ovum donation (due to living on coffee and gum).

Excellent idea about the Spa. I scheduled myself for a 1/2 day of pampering on Friday (never have done this before), so I looking forward to just relaxing and blocking all of this crap out for a few hours.

Bottom line is; moving = stress!!!

Omigosh Becca, I live about an hour away from Skaneateles! It's BEAUTIFUL there. A gorgeous but tiny lakeside community with a fabulous school system, very friendly people, fabulous restaurants (Sherwood Inn, Rosalies-to die-for Italian, Krebs), great boutique shopping, sailing, and a four star spa - Mirbeau. If I could move anywhere in the world, it would be Skaneateles.

But be sure to pronounce it as the locals do - "Skinny-atlas!"

I've moved 7 times in the last 5 1/2 years (first 3 times in the course of one year, next 3 was in the city, last one was east coast to west coast). But I'm single, I can't even imagine moving with family!

It's very stressful, but I sort of enjoy it. Theres always time I bump into old pictures and cards and had to stop packing to browse through them one by one. It's also a great time to purge and let go of old stuff (which I forgot I still had) to make the move easier. The excitement of a new home, redecorating, and just discovering things about the new neighborhood kept me sane.

Becca, good luck with finding your new home & the big move! Hope everything goes well :smile:

Becca, here are my words of advice: Find a good Realtor!

If you (or anyone else!) need help, please send me a PM. I am a residential Realtor who knows dedicated Realtors all over the country and I will make sure that you get hooked up with a person who will help make your move as painless as possible.

And I've even been to Skaneateles! My best friend when I was six moved there with her family and my dad worked for GE for 25 years. The finger lakes region is a lovely place to raise children and the natural beauty is serenity-inducing.