Let's talk $$$$ -PLEASE!!

lilach said:
rigid- stiff classic handbagform more ladylike
souple - slouchy more casual

Thanks Lilach for your help. So does rigid & souple refer to a different types of leather ie. togo and clemence? Or is there such a rigid togo & a souple togo, a rigid clemence & a souple clemence?

Pardon me if I sound silly with my questions. I am trying to learn more about the different textures there are within Hermes .:hrmm: Thanks in advance :yes:

Meow said:
Hi Greentea, what is the difference between rigide and souple? Thanks

Rigid is stiff because it is sewn on the outside. Meaning the you can see the stitches and therefore they have to be perfect, which requires more time and a more experienced cratsperson - which make the rigid $1000 more expensive...

Souple is sewn from the inside (you dont see the stitches). they sew the bag and turn it inside out afterwards...so the stitches are inside in the end...

usually rigids are made from from stiffer leather - if a souple is made from soft leather (like clemence) it's called Kelly Mou...

it is is made from soft leather sewn rigide (outside) it's called Kelly Sellier

Now that we're talking Kelly construction, what do you ladies who own Kelly rigide bags think of this construction? Do you find that you're more careful when you carry them? I always fear that I'll bash one or more of the corners in--which is one reason I prefer 32's in souple. For 28 and smaller, I like either.

I own a 28cm rigide Kelly and actually feel the rigide style will handle wear and tear better at the corners than the souple style. I've seen people wear holes at the corners of their souples.

Thankfully if I keep up my trend of changing bags several times a week I won't wear any of them out lol!!! Since acquiring these beautiful bags I tend to do this, whereas before I did not..I do, however, not generally worry about anything other than keeping them out of dirt's way and safe...

During my first visit to Hermes in December 2005, I was quoted by my SA (in togo, normal colors):

"Approximately $4800 for 31 cm Bolide, add 1K for 32 cm Kelly, add another 1K for 30 cm Birkin"