Travel LET'S TALK LUGGAGES!

lxrac

Aug 15, 2019
Hello there. I am currently saving up for a nice luggage set but no idea where to start. I travel a few times a year maybe 5-6 times. I wanted to start this thread because I wanted some input of what are the good travel/luggage brands out there and what you TPF members travel with as far as carryon and checked in luggages are concerned. I know a lot of the members fly a lot. Let's give travel tips as well and post pics! :heart::angel:

I'm a frequent business traveler and go with luggage that's durable, functional, and is a carry on size. TravelPro is my go-to brand, and I carry on all the time (even a week+) and my go-to is a 20" rollaboard to ensure it will fit in overhead compartments in 7x7s, A3x0s, etc. I use an even smaller rollaboard from High Sierra (17") to fit in regional jet overheads & underseat in all aircraft. I use lightweight packing cubes and coordinate outfits to ensure everything fits.

But if you check luggage, I'd recommend durable exterior materials since baggage handlers tend to be rough with bags.

I splurged on 4 Rimowa Limbo spinner bags in various sizes for me and my husband. I got two 22" cabin bags, a 24" and a 28". I've checked the larger bags on many trips and they do get banged up, so you have to be ok with a $$$ purchase getting some battle scars!

Also, IMO, packing cubes are required to make the most of these kinds of bags. On a recent trip to Japan, we decided we needed a second 24" bag and my husband chose one from Away luggage. While I don't like the interior as much as my Rimowa, that bag is super lightweight. I usually pack my stuff in the Rimowa but carry the Away :smile:

I splurged on 4 Rimowa Limbo spinner bags in various sizes for me and my husband. I got two 22" cabin bags, a 24" and a 28". I've checked the larger bags on many trips and they do get banged up, so you have to be ok with a $$$ purchase getting some battle scars!

Also, IMO, packing cubes are required to make the most of these kinds of bags. On a recent trip to Japan, we decided we needed a second 24" bag and my husband chose one from Away luggage. While I don't like the interior as much as my Rimowa, that bag is super lightweight. I usually pack my stuff in the Rimowa but carry the Away :smile:

In January of next year, I will need to buy a set for a few trips coming up next year. I decided that I will buy Away and Rimowa. I already have a Rimowa carry on but I think he needs to retire- the silver one is to die for! Would you recommend Away? is it cheaply made?

I wouldn't say that Away is cheaply made and I haven't compared it to anything but my Rimowa Limbo. I think the Limbo is sturdier because it has a frame with the luggage clasps. The Away bag has a zipper closure so it is more like the Rimowa Salsa line. In that case, I think the Away is a better deal. But Rimowa is more of a status/prestige brand. Hope that helps!

Reactions: lxrac
I wouldn't say that Away is cheaply made and I haven't compared it to anything but my Rimowa Limbo. I think the Limbo is sturdier because it has a frame with the luggage clasps. The Away bag has a zipper closure so it is more like the Rimowa Salsa line. In that case, I think the Away is a better deal. But Rimowa is more of a status/prestige brand. Hope that helps!

Thanks! I decided for checked in luggages, I will buy Away. So that when they become obliterated and banged up I wont be as heartbroken as compared to lets say a Rimowa or Tumi checked in luggages. For carry on, I'm going to buy the silver aluminum Rimowa since I can keep it close to me inside the plane. :doh:

I also travel internationally several times a year (usually between the US and Europe). I found that no matter how expensive the checked in luggage is, it's eventually damaged by careless ground crew. So nowadays, I buy luggage like Samsonite or Delsey deeply discounted and replace them as needed. If I get 20 trips out of them, I am happy. If I can help it, I try to spend less than $90 per suitcase. I'd rather spend my money on a Business class ticket. ;)

Thanks! I decided for checked in luggages, I will buy Away. So that when they become obliterated and banged up I wont be as heartbroken as compared to lets say a Rimowa or Tumi checked in luggages. For carry on, I'm going to buy the silver aluminum Rimowa since I can keep it close to me inside the plane. :doh:

While the Rimowa aluminum carry-on looks glamorous, if you fly commercial — even in first or business — it’s not that practical. It’s heavy, so you’re that much closer to the weight limit, and it’s harder to lift when stowing in the overhead bin. I generally go with the lightest suitcase that fits your need for carry-on.

While the Rimowa aluminum carry-on looks glamorous, if you fly commercial — even in first or business — it’s not that practical. It’s heavy, so you’re that much closer to the weight limit, and it’s harder to lift when stowing in the overhead bin. I generally go with the lightest suitcase that fits your need for carry-on.

Agree. I have the Rimowa Topas (from before the LVMH takeover and price increases) and always have to watch the weight limit unless I'm flying Easyjet. Still, I only travel with Rimowa luggage ever since 2011 (was a management consultant for 2 years and had short haul flights twice per week). Mostly with the super light Salsa Air line. For my check-in luggage I got a Topas as well as it can't crack and it's not so easy to break the locks.

Other's swear by Tumi and I can't really compare as my top requirement has always been sturdiness, longevity and ease to navigate/roll around when walking.

Others swear by Tumi and I can't really compare as my top requirement has always been sturdiness, longevity and ease to navigate/roll around when walking.

What a coincident that you mentioned Tumi vs rimowa. I was a big fan of Tumi until I started switching over to Rimowa. In terms of roll-ability and easy to navigate, rimowa wins every time. Actually when my aunt came to visit just a couple of months ago, she had 2 huge suitcases and 1 carry on. Out of the 2 big suitcases (one Tumi, one rimowa), Rimowa was SO much easier to roll as I was quite shocked because I didn’t notice Tumi was harder to roll when I was using it. All of sudden, when I’m used to Rimowa, Tumi just doesn’t cut it for me anymore. Yes, Rimowa is much heavier in aluminum, but to me, the ability to maneuver out weights, well, weight (pun intended).

As they are both durable, I am having a tough time trying to get rid of my old Tumi luggages so I can switch the whole family set to Rimowa! >_<

the other interesting thing I find, in terms of the easiness to roll, is that the bigger the wheels, the easier is it to roll, even within Rimowa. I don’t know the names very well, but they have a line with the leather handles and detail, but the wheels are smaller. Don’t buy that. It’s better to stick with the original line that has bigger wheels. :yes:

21 inch travel pro. I am a flight attendant and this is what I have used the better part of 20 years. If you live in USA you can often find these at Marshall’s, TJ Maxx for $49-$79. Get 2 wheeled ones and the line called Crew. Like Crew 11 or Crew 10. The crew bags are the ones made for airline crew. They are really no frills, hardcore, long lasting bags. I would not recommend Tumi at all. Overpriced and lots of issues for me and my co workers. They have shops in the airport and glossy marketing campaigns. You are paying for that. Give ma a TRAVEL PRO any day.

https://travelpro.com/collections/crew™-11

I’ve had an Away carryon for a couple of years now and I think it’s great for the price point and I absolutely love the built in charger. I used to travel extensively for work and had a Briggs and Riley checkin that was amazing and came with a lifetime guarantee which Tumi doesn’t even offer. But design wise I’m in love with the Away.

As I’ve gotten older and now have a weak shoulder due to an injury- I highly recommend something as light as possible. Especially if you are petite like me and you have to haul your bag over the overhead bin. I’ve been traveling for many, many years and fellow travelers and even flight attendants don’t assist like they use to. A few month ago I thought my luggage was going to slip
out of my hands as I was trying to stuff into a bin with other belongings. Not fun. I was sweating trying to keep the bag in the air and ppl around me were oblivious. :lol:

As I’ve gotten older and now have a weak shoulder due to an injury- I highly recommend something as light as possible. Especially if you are petite like me and you have to haul your bag over the overhead bin. I’ve been traveling for many, many years and fellow travelers and even flight attendants don’t assist like they use to. A few month ago I thought my luggage was going to slip
out of my hands as I was trying to stuff into a bin with other belongings. Not fun. I was sweating trying to keep the bag in the air and ppl around me were oblivious. :lol:
Just ask for help instead of expecting people to read your mind.