Let's Talk Lining

Wudge

Jun 11, 2014
I'm interested to know, how important is the lining of a bag when you're making a new purchase? Are there fabrics you just won't buy? What do you look for? Does the lining of a bag influence your decision to buy?

For me, while it won't stop me from buying a bag, I really don't like black in any fabric or leather as a bag lining. Black makes it so hard to find things in my bags.

Reactions: southernbelle43
Doesn't really bother me. If the lining colour/material is less than optimal (e.g. Black lining as you mentioned, or perhaps a nice leather lining that I don't want to scuff) then I use a bag insert to protect/organise.

It ´s not important to me either. Yet, I have noticed that lightweight bags don't have a leather lining. We carry so many things in our bags now that their weight, when empty, becomes an important criteria....

Reactions: msd_bags
Oohh it's SO important that the lining is nice! A lousy quality lining has turned me off from buying more bags than I care to mention.
Really flimsy nylon is terrible as it slides and kinda floats everywhere, and I also HATE bags that have a lining that isn't well fitted so it's too big for the bag. You have to search for your things that have gone hiding in the folds and creases, yuck! This is one of the reasons I love Longchamp and Lumi - both do lining very well. LP Cuir and Roseau both have a lining that sits nicely and fits well and when it comes to Lumi, you'd be hard pushed to find bags in the same price category with a lining to match Lumi quality; it's thick cotton, deep blue and fits_like_a_glove. No floating, no folding, no creasing. And therefore, no unnecessary aggression provoked in my ADD-suffering brain! :biggrin:

Linings are as important to me as the exterior of the bag or wallet, it is a determining factor how long I can use the item. Stitching should be carefully done and firmly in place. The material of the lining should be durable and not flimsy. If the lining is not good, no matter how branded or worth my money, I refuse to buy. Should a leather bag be unlined, as I have two bags that are just so, then it is fine, because leather is a durable material.

Lining used to be important for me, but now even the premier designers and contemporary designers are cheapening out on the what they line their bags with, so I decided not to care too much about it just to go with the flow. It used to stop me from making a choice.

It's not terribly important for me, but I do appreciate a nice lining. However, I do have an unlined J.Crew plain leather tote and it's one of my favorite and most used bags. It's held up very nicely.

Fun question!

Lining is often what pushes me over the edge to actually make a purchase. I love a patterned or colorful lining and of nice material. It is just one more design detail to make me giddy about the purse. And it is kind of a secret treat just for me because I am really the only one who sees and knows it is there.

If the lining is ordinary, then usually my brain can reel my impulses in and remind me I dont need another purse.

If I loved a bag and I needed it for a particular use or event, I'm not going to let the lining keep me from buying it.

For high priced bags, if I don't like the lining of the bag, then I don't buy it. I think that if I am paying at least several hundred of dollars for a nice leather bag then it better be lined in a high quality material in a neutral color. I don't like bright neon or overly "cute" prints lining. MBMJ has some bags that I liked but never bought because of the linings. I wished he uses the same lining as his MJ collection line. I like the BV bags but the suede lining attracts dirt and stains so I avoid them.

Last edited:
I appreciate a nice lining (leather or quality material), but it's not necessary. The only time lining would be a deal breaker is if it's a pattern or a bright colour I don't like/doesn't go with the bag. I prefer black lining. Although it can make things difficult to find, I usually get black bags and find a black lining looks best.

Lots of great answers too:

http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/how-much-does-the-lining-matter-to-you-791728.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/leather-interior-859734.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/leather-lined-bags-698002.html

Personally, I have enough bags. Anything new or 'new' that I buy will have to be amazing or replace something invaluable. If the interior of a bag is anything less than the exterior it's a deal-breaker.

In a winter or formal bag I want suede or leather lining, in the Summer something non-leather of quality, lovely, inspiring and practical would be fine.

Linings aren't a make it or break it for me - unless it's particularly terrible or ill-fitting - but I have two purses whose linings are my favorite:

Bal City Neiman Marcus 10th Anniversary Edition

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1410539060.870931.jpg

Kate Spade shoulder bag that I've had since college, not sure of model name

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1410539096.360492.jpg

It always makes me happy to open these two purses, the linings are so much fun ❤️

Lining is important! Crap bag crap lining! It should not be ugly( personal ) should not tear or threads come loose, should not transfer color to objects or our hands and should not attract dirt like a magnet or be impossible to clean!

Reactions: SakuraSakura