Let's talk fashion, glamour and style: Calling all women "of a certain age"!

divnanata

Nata
O.G.
Nov 22, 2006
Okay. Twist my flabby upper arm and I'll admit to 60. All of us advanced aged divas need a place to discuss our specialness and to solve the dilemmas we encounter styling' and profilin' in a fashion world completely oriented towards young, nubile people. They expect us to fade into the background. HA! I, for one, am not going to skulk quietly into the night at "Friendship Village" and leave all the fun of dressing up to vapid youngsters who think that bleach splattered Mom jeans are sooo the thing.

Sure there are some obvious rules that we need to adhere to when parts of us sag, ebb and flow. And some of our sartorial choices might make us objects of derision to our children but - as they say - " it is better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring..."

So - no to mini skirts for us- right? And Daisy Duke shorts? Ivanna ***** has to stop this crazy stuff! But what CAN we say "yes" to?

That's me celebrating my 60th birthday. Did you know they made tattoo sheer arm covers? My daughter caught me like this and it is possibly the last time I'll go sleeveless.

I'll post more shots later of what and who inspires me and I would love to see and learn about your choices for what works and what doesn't

Attachments

• article-2282401-1829B5E8000005DC-43_634x827.jpg
    article-2282401-1829B5E8000005DC-43_634x827.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 4,953
  • 10155580_10100809320098031_8549405689749344216_n.jpg
    10155580_10100809320098031_8549405689749344216_n.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 4,624
Whenever I come across current images or videos of the glamour girls of our youth I am completely captivated. How have they held up? Did they heed the siren call of the knife and get injections and fake fish lips? Are they completely unrecognizable? Do they have fat guts? And if so - what are they wearing (besides Spanx) to hide them?

Jerry Hall has always been fascinating to me. While she might not have been as much of a style icon as her erstwhile husband, she nevertheless exuded major vavavoominess. And she still kinda does! I give her props for keeping it real and not getting any plastic. She must remain Jerry Hall eternally.

The second picture shows Jerry girl chatting with Denise Rich on the left and Joan Collins on the right. Denise Rich - did she have something to do with Bill *******? Should anyone with a chest so riddled with age spots and wrinkles bare their décolletage to that degree? Should we make a fuss?

What can I say about Joan Collins? The goddess manages to pull it off. I confess I wanted to be a mean girl over her exposed arms but what the heck? I'm sure it gets hot in St. Tropez. I bow to her and her inky long dyed hair.

Speaking of hair length......?

Attachments

• 140313-Jerry-Hall-600x400.jpg
    140313-Jerry-Hall-600x400.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 5,170
  • Joan+Collins+Jerry+Hall+Denise+Rich+Hosts+GoCb-_c_mLal.jpg
    Joan+Collins+Jerry+Hall+Denise+Rich+Hosts+GoCb-_c_mLal.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 5,459
Reactions: netter
Loni Anderson. Born in 1945 people!!!! Is she an alien? No one - not even Christy Goddess of all Goddesses Brinkley- holds up this well on this earth. You would think Loni's marriage to Burt Reynolds would have had them scurrying to the same plastic doc but HE looks so bad and SHE is divine?

If you squint and the photo is a tad out of focus Loni has not changed one iota since the days of "WKRP Cincinnati" which ran from 1978 to 1982. But I have a major issue with that boobage on display. She'll be 70 next year. Is it really necessary to desperately cling to your sex girl status until even your grandchildren have grandchildren? Haven't those hard working 'girls' earned their pension yet? Loni- retire that corset!

And - another long hairdo. Sure extensions are probably involved but it all looks so natural and perfect?! It must be a wig. TELL ME it's a wig for pete's sake.

Attachments

• 117994PCN_Race06lonicut.jpg
    117994PCN_Race06lonicut.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 5,521
Fabooo, keep them coming...being a "woman of a certain age" I just did a total rehab of my closet? Too low of a neckline? OUT..Thin material that hugs a thickening waste line? OUT..hem unflattering to my legs? OUT....I want to look good but feel good at the same time, while being cognizant of that age old rule, mutton not looking like lamb?

My god Loni Anderson really does look good when you compare her with these other gals. I BTW am not team corset and old girls coming out to play? Ivana's upper half rocks, why couldn't she pair that top with a fabulous skirt? She didn't dress this way with the Donald?

Last edited:
Susie - you mentioned hem unflattering to your legs?! That's a good way of defining the guideline for how long or short a woman of a certain age can go with her skirts. I'm torn between saying it is okay to do over-the-knee if your legs rock and you don't have varicose veins and out of control cellulite and flabby knees OR no! nada! never for older gals? Mutton trying to look like lamb indeed. This issue certainly isn't stopping lots of celebs from wearing short skirts. Witness our beloved matriarch Kris Jenner:
(Gawd I love her shoes and I can't even stuff my big feet into the largest size Valentino Rockstuds. Believe me I've tried as hard as a Cinderella step sister.) Kris looks great in pink. Her legs are still in shape and the spray tan camouflages any discolorations. I don't like the way the side pocket gaps open. But is this length working for her? A tad too young?

Sometimes you can't overanalyze the length on yourself because you have no choice. There simply aren't very many appropriate hemlines available. The tide is turning with the ladylike and "midis" beginning to take hold somewhat but not fast enough for me.

Attachments

• kjenner-062513- (5).JPG
    kjenner-062513- (5).JPG
    84 KB · Views: 4,494
I have to get this off my chest. I was bad last week. I was invited to this trunk show where Cameron Silver (of "The Dukes of Melrose" fame) was selling his vintage couture wares to raise money for himself and charity. Because of TPF and giving myself permission to indulge in luxury I have become addicted to resale shopping and I stop in at Decades whenever I am in LA visiting family. It doesn't hurt that The Women's Closet Exchange of the now defunct "Resale Royalty" is right in my back yard. Oy - the bargains I have bought at this place. Still - I have to get the best price and am very careful.

I guess the free wine went to my head and I fixated on this otherworldly blue feather jacket by Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche. I felt transformed into Kate Moss when I put it on. My girlfriend who had accompanied me (under extreme pressure) thought it was very cool. I was in a trance when I handed over my charge card. There is no way I will ever tell you what this thing cost. I'm starting to get dizzy again just thinking about it. Probably the shopping impulse had a lot to do with the fact that I was turning 60 the next day and my mortality was starting to sink in. You know how you envision this life for yourself when you are a kid and you just know you will wear all these divine outfits in your glam travels all around the world?! Heck - I'm running out of time!

So I will make a point of wearing the blue feathers often whether I look ridiculous or not. It goes with jeans - right?

I had already purchased the ACL tube skirt after seeing it highlighted everywhere. Sure I would have bought the accompanying crop top back in the day but a "certain age" gal cannot flash gut. EVER. And I felt a tad calmer when I saw this pic of Goddess Linda Evangel - I don't get out of bed for less than $10,000-ista. She's wearing a feather jacket to the White House Correspondents Dinner. Sigh. You're right. I shouldn't even be typing her name....

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 4,457
  • LOOK_112950.jpeg
    LOOK_112950.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 4,422
  • linda-evangelista.nocrop.w1800.h1330.jpg
    linda-evangelista.nocrop.w1800.h1330.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 4,478
So I will make a point of wearing the blue feathers often whether I look ridiculous or not. It goes with jeans - right?

I had already purchased the ACL tube skirt after seeing it highlighted everywhere. Sure I would have bought the accompanying crop top back in the day but a "certain age" gal cannot flash gut. EVER. And I felt a tad calmer when I saw this pic of Goddess Linda Evangel - I don't get out of bed for less than $10,000-ista. She's wearing a feather jacket to the White House Correspondents Dinner. Sigh. You're right. I shouldn't even be typing her name....

THIS SKIRT WITH JACKET is awesome, whoa.....Is it light weight? Hot flashes ya know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rephined
Susie - you mentioned hem unflattering to your legs?! That's a good way of defining the guideline for how long or short a woman of a certain age can go with her skirts. I'm torn between saying it is okay to do over-the-knee if your legs rock and you don't have varicose veins and out of control cellulite and flabby knees OR no! nada! never for older gals? Mutton trying to look like lamb indeed. This issue certainly isn't stopping lots of celebs from wearing short skirts. Witness our beloved matriarch Kris Jenner:
(Gawd I love her shoes and I can't even stuff my big feet into the largest size Valentino Rockstuds. Believe me I've tried as hard as a Cinderella step sister.) Kris looks great in pink. Her legs are still in shape and the spray tan camouflages any discolorations. I don't like the way the side pocket gaps open. But is this length working for her? A tad too young?

Sometimes you can't overanalyze the length on yourself because you have no choice. There simply aren't very many appropriate hemlines available. The tide is turning with the ladylike and "midis" beginning to take hold somewhat but not fast enough for me.

Kris Jenner is one of my fashion icons and sadly this LOOK is a miss. Darn so many times she has a hit? Here's an older gal that does it right IMESHO. Great gams, I'm sure she has flaws but you would never know it because you can't see them?

Attachments

• 42a013e856d0e80d9464e4f026c4f911-1.jpg
    42a013e856d0e80d9464e4f026c4f911-1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 4,439
the other day I ran across a picture of Ellen Burstyn and thought hummm, does EB inspire me without being cognizant of the fact??

You guys tell me???? I'm okay with your opinion either way.

Attachments

• Photo on 4-7-14 at 4.33 PM.jpg
    Photo on 4-7-14 at 4.33 PM.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 4,328
  • 0305-ellen-burstyn-the-exorcist-now-photos-768-now-480w.jpg
    0305-ellen-burstyn-the-exorcist-now-photos-768-now-480w.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 4,297
the other day I ran across a picture of Ellen Burstyn and thought hummm, does EB inspire me without being cognizant of the fact??

You guys tell me???? I'm okay with your opinion either way.

I think you are more like Seventies "It" girl and all around fab dresser Marisa Berenson. I can't get enough of looking at her pictures. At 67 she is a stunner. She looks to have had some fills and plumps but nothing too dodgy. I can post hundreds of photos of hers and she said herself that she had a hard time picking the ones for her book: "A Life in Pictures".

So I'm including just statement necklace pics that mirror yours! Statement necklaces play up the positives (eye and hair color) and draw attention away from wrinkles!!

Attachments

• Marisa+Berenson+Must+Place+Premiere+Cannes+gpcF1t_82c6l.jpg
    Marisa+Berenson+Must+Place+Premiere+Cannes+gpcF1t_82c6l.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 4,568
  • Marisa+Berenson+Marrakech+International+Film+Y9MSGtZUNull.jpg
    Marisa+Berenson+Marrakech+International+Film+Y9MSGtZUNull.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 4,392
  • 12th+Malaga+Film+Festival+Closing+Night+Gala+NsnLQ2OLQtfl.jpg
    12th+Malaga+Film+Festival+Closing+Night+Gala+NsnLQ2OLQtfl.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 4,317
  • Closing+Ceremony+Red+Carpet+Arrivals+63rd+Yx1tiZ7TD5Jl.jpg
    Closing+Ceremony+Red+Carpet+Arrivals+63rd+Yx1tiZ7TD5Jl.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 4,505
Last edited:
More Marisa! Besides being discovered by Diana Vreeland (Marisa is also the granddaughter of "Think Pink" Schiaparelli) and appearing on countless Vogue covers Marisa was a movie star as well. She was in "Cabaret" and "Barry Lyndon" .

Here is a recent ad shot showcasing her with other Seventies model icons Jerry Hall and the magnificent Pat Cleveland. They all still got it. And I know Jerry must have lost a lot of weight or there IS Photoshop. I hate to think they had to do much of it?

Attachments

• Berenson_Marisa.jpg
    Berenson_Marisa.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 4,229
  • Marisa-Berenson-8-480x735.jpg
    Marisa-Berenson-8-480x735.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 4,303
  • Marisa+Berenson+Chandelier+Earrings+Gemstone+CGE5iCE2mVAl.jpg
    Marisa+Berenson+Chandelier+Earrings+Gemstone+CGE5iCE2mVAl.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 4,247
  • tumblr_mwxnlkJ5Az1r8vf9ro1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mwxnlkJ5Az1r8vf9ro1_1280.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 4,614
Reactions: netter
OMG,girls, if we are being completely honest, we will say that plastic surgery helps a lot. I had a face lift and it did wonders for my self esteem. Also a tummy tuck. Some things are only a few dollars away.......lol.

I like knee length skirts. I think Kris Jenner's skirt would have been perfect just a few inches longer. However, I think shorts that come to the knee are dowdy. I like a mid thigh length. Just hitting where the thigh starts to taper back in. And we must admit that exercise is our friend!!!

Your blue feather jacket is marvelous. You just have to grab it and go . You'll get used to it. I bought two leather jackets under similar mental states. One is black and pink and the other is mint green-and the worst of it is that I live in Florida so they rarely are needed. But it makes me so happy that they are in the closet. Not to mention a couple of Chanel jackets that I HAD to have. I have worn one 3 times and the other twice. Enable me,please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Your blue feather jacket is marvelous. You just have to grab it and go . You'll get used to it. I bought two leather jackets under similar mental states. One is black and pink and the other is mint green-and the worst of it is that I live in Florida so they rarely are needed. But it makes me so happy that they are in the closet. Not to mention a couple of Chanel jackets that I HAD to have. I have worn one 3 times and the other twice. Enable me,please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Gerry! - So fun to see you on here! And believe me - I have been checking out my options surgery wise. The biggest problem? - finding a doctor to trust. He has to be an artist and know just when to stop. It is kind of like finding a hairdresser. You could come across a brilliant one anywhere - expensive or not. The thought of having my lips look like Kris Jenner's really does scare me:no-good:

And as for Chanel jackets - you are talking my language, girlfriend! I'll show you mine if you show me yours!!!
kris-jenner-lips.png

photo 1.JPG