Let's talk Delvaux!

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
It seems like only the classics such as Brillant and Tempête were increased. I want to buy a brillant mini since last year but waiting for the right colour so quite sad the price was "only" 3800€ and now is 4500€
Yer, it's pricing strategy, nothing to do with real costs.

When I first looked at a Tempete they were at the £2K-ish mark, now they're more than double at £4950 (and that's just the Crispy Calf).

I have a wedding to go to in August. Actually, I've been invited to all the occasions that should have happened for 2 years and averaging 1 event/occasion/party every week atm. I wanted a Pochette in a colour suitable for day/eve (love my Delvaux Hannalore - but it's black - so many of my more restrained evening bags are black) but was waiting to go in store. May as well wait to see which colours and variations come in later.

I don't know what everybody else feels but with ongoing styles, price rises just make me look at everything, not as a necessity not luxury, just with less importance e.g. the supermarket put up my favourite snack twice (my treat for venturing in there). I just stopped buying it.

Reactions: varias

pinkorchid20

Jul 14, 2017
Yer, it's pricing strategy, nothing to do with real costs.

When I first looked at a Tempete they were at the £2K-ish mark, now they're more than double at £4950 (and that's just the Crispy Calf).

I have a wedding to go to in August. Actually, I've been invited to all the occasions that should have happened for 2 years and averaging 1 event/occasion/party every week atm. I wanted a Pochette in a colour suitable for day/eve (love my Delvaux Hannalore - but it's black - so many of my more restrained evening bags are black) but was waiting to go in store. May as well wait to see which colours and variations come in later.

I don't know what everybody else feels but with ongoing styles, price rises just make me look at everything, not as a necessity not luxury, just with less importance e.g. the supermarket put up my favourite snack twice (my treat for venturing in there). I just stopped buying it.
I honestly was a bit shocked to see 2 such massive price hikes within 4(?) months only. I had been looking for a Tempête in the Small size but none of the available colours spoke to me. After this increase I will purchase another Moynat Gabrielle BB instead or just not purchase anything at all. It’s just not necessary and I can live without it. I wonder which direction Delvaux will take on the mid/long term.

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
I honestly was a bit shocked to see 2 such massive price hikes within 4(?) months only. I had been looking for a Tempête in the Small size but none of the available colours spoke to me. After this increase I will purchase another Moynat Gabrielle BB instead or just not purchase anything at all. It’s just not necessary and I can live without it. I wonder which direction Delvaux will take on the mid/long term.
As you say, you'll just buy something else somewhere else.

I think all these companies forget. There are so, so soooooo many bags out there, new and pre-loved. They (not just Delvaux) may live to regret modelling themselves on Hermes. Labellov (Belgium pre-loved online platform) regularly sells new, pre-loved and vintage Delvaux. The resale figure precedents really count in terms of desirability and FOMO. Delvaux are pushing the Brills and Temps to be the B and K of the D world. Although the Brilliants and the Tempêtes are higher and steady at resale, they are still undercutting retail (whereas H sells at a premium over retail) where they're well known. Some of the Delvaux bags are at give-away prices and some are very nice bags in good condition.

Last edited:

pinkorchid20

Jul 14, 2017
As you say, you'll just but something else somewhere else.

I think all these companies forget. There are so, so soooooo many bags out there, new and pre-loved. They (not just Delvaux) may live to regret modelling themselves on Hermes. Labellov (Belgium pre-loved online platform) regularly sells new, pre-loved and vintage Delvaux. The resale figure precedents really count in terms of desirability and FOMO. Delvaux are pushing the Brills and Temps to be the B and K of the D world. Although the Brilliants and the Tempêtes are higher and steady at resale, they are still undercutting retail (whereas H sells at a premium over retail) where they're well known. Some of the Delvaux bags are at give-away prices and some are very nice bags in good condition.
So true regarding perception and market value. I am looking at Labellov and Mabellesac inventory on a regular basis and was expecting a slight adjustment on their Delvaux listings after the last price increase. It never happened. Given the latest increase, you can now get the Tempête and Brilliant for approx. 50% off in wonderful condition.
I just wonder what strategy or analysis those price hikes stem from - simply increasing and hoping that people will consider those bags more valuable/rare won’t do the trick IMO.

Christofle

O.G.
Apr 21, 2011
Montreal
So true regarding perception and market value. I am looking at Labellov and Mabellesac inventory on a regular basis and was expecting a slight adjustment on their Delvaux listings after the last price increase. It never happened. Given the latest increase, you can now get the Tempête and Brilliant for approx. 50% off in wonderful condition.
I just wonder what strategy or analysis those price hikes stem from - simply increasing and hoping that people will consider those bags more valuable/rare won’t do the trick IMO.
For one the price of everything is going up at rates that haven't been seen in a while. (Cost of leather, shipping costs, etc...). I wouldn't be surprised if these hikes are just to maintain their current margins.

• Insightful
Reactions: JenJBS

JolieS

Oct 24, 2016
Add to the mix that Delvaux is now under the Richemont umbrella, and is being positioned in that stable of brands, including design and pricing.

pinkorchid20

Jul 14, 2017
For one the price of everything is going up at rates that haven't been seen in a while. (Cost of leather, shipping costs, etc...). I wouldn't be surprised if these hikes are just to maintain their current margins.
I am not indicating that price increases are unacceptable at this point. However, I think they should be implemented reasonably and respectfully (I would have also expected an increase across the whole bag selection like with their increase in January - the 2 main heritage models are now significantly more expensive than the other lines). I am also not seeing price increases from other houses, so am honestly simply interested in the real reasons for 2 consecutive price increases. I assume that what @JolieS pointed out surely also plays a role.

Itinerantd

May 6, 2018
Brillant and tempete owners, does the handle, when opening the bag when worn crossbody, dig into your waist? considering the handles are rigid?

For the different tempete leathers, what are some pointers as to the types and what their characteristics are in terms of scratch and water resistance?

Finally, has there been any decrease in quality since Richemont took over? Thanks!

JolieS

Oct 24, 2016
Brillant and tempete owners, does the handle, when opening the bag when worn crossbody, dig into your waist? considering the handles are rigid?

For the different tempete leathers, what are some pointers as to the types and what their characteristics are in terms of scratch and water resistance?

Finally, has there been any decrease in quality since Richemont took over? Thanks!
Delvaux makes bags in 7 grained leathers, 10 smooth leathers, and various exotic skins - a lot of wonderful choices!
See the website for a description of each leather

https://int.delvaux.com/en/care

IMO Crispy Calf, a grained leather similar to Hermès Togo, is the most care-free.
It all depends on the look you’re after in your handbag, and the functionality required.
I haven’t purchased a Delvaux since they were acquired by Richemont, so don’t have an opinion about quality. I have noticed however that the detailing has changed on some models, such as Cool Box.
I haven’t felt the top handle of my Tempête bags digging into my body.
Good luck in your decision-making!

• Insightful
Reactions: Itinerantd