Let’s Talk Coastal Grandma Style- Yes It’s a Thing

I dare anyone to call any of my friends and neighbors who wear these clothes as their uniform Coastal Grandmothers, Lol! I did not know this is a thing and actually think it is quite an unflattering label. I’m sure most of my friends in Northern Orange County, the Beach Cities in LA ie, Hermosa, Manhattan Beach, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, et al, would be thrilled with this label. How about we call ourselves lucky B’s with a View? That makes me feel so much better.

I also had no idea this was a thing, but I find it quite amusing. I still remember the first time a waiter quietly let me know he gave me the senior discount. I thought it was cute, especially telling me quietly so no one else would know. As long as I can still, physically and financially, do what I want to do, I really don’t care what I’m called.…although, given a choice, I do prefer to be called eccentric” over ”crazy”…..and I’ve been called both. I agree that we are very lucky…..

Last edited:
I also had no idea this was a thing, but I find it quite amusing. I still remember the first time a waiter quietly let me know he gave me the senior discount. I thought it was cute, especially telling me quietly so no one else would know. As long as I can still, physically and financially, do what I want to do, I really don’t care what I’m called.…although, given a choice, I do prefer to be called eccentric” over ”crazy”…..and I’ve been called both. I agree that we are very lucky…..

Probably won’t be a thing very long but it might last the summer. I like it because it associates the word ‘Grandma’ with chic and stylish. I’ve found that word associated with frumpy, passé, and way-aging boomers too often. This elevation of Coastal Grandma, I read as push back.

Also, the word ‘basic’ is thrown around a lot. My style has always been simple and conservative so I found myself tarred with the basic label. I prefer this Coastal Grandma identity ... though I haven’t yet had it for 24 hours ... :smile:

where I live you see a lot of women of all ages and shapes wearing leggings. I will wear them for a quick run to the gas station or to run into a store. I make sure my crotch is covered. Most women don't look great in these but I understand they're comfortable.
I wear jeans a lot.

Watch out y'all Jenny Lo has gotten in on the CG action:

The Internet hasn't been the same since a TikToker coined a new aesthetic: the coastal grandmother.

"What is a coastal grandmother you ask?" explains TikToker @lexnicoleta in a video posted at the end of March. "It's a term that I coined for this aesthetic: if you love Nancy Meyers movies, coastal vibes, recipes and cooking, Ina Garten, interiors and more, there's a good chance you might be a coastal grandmother. And, no, you don't have to be a grandmother to be a coastal grandmother."

Jennifer Lopez seems to have gotten the memo. During a Mother's Day outing with her 14-year-old daughter Emme on Sunday, the Marry Me star wore a look befitting of either a Cape Cod beach house or lunch at Malibu's celeb-favored Nobu.

The singer wore an airy white button-up dress, which she cinched at the waist with an Hermès belt. But, it's her cable knit cardigan that truly seals the deal. The creamy Jonathan Simkhai creation features a fringe hem, shawl lapels, and a belted waist—perfect for wrapping yourself up against beachside winds.

J. Lo further accessorized with her coveted Hermès Himalayan crocodile Birkin bag and tinted shades from Max Mara.

Along with Emme, Lopez also shares her 14-year-old son Max with ex-husband Marc Anthony.

Lopez previously talked about how the pandemic brought her closer to her kids in an interview with WSJ. Magazine.

"They need us in a different way," she said. "We have to slow down and we have to connect more. And, you know, I don't want to miss things. And I realized, 'God. I would have missed that if I wasn't here today.'"

Watch out y'all Jenny Lo has gotten in on the CG action:

The Internet hasn't been the same since a TikToker coined a new aesthetic: the coastal grandmother.

"What is a coastal grandmother you ask?" explains TikToker @lexnicoleta in a video posted at the end of March. "It's a term that I coined for this aesthetic: if you love Nancy Meyers movies, coastal vibes, recipes and cooking, Ina Garten, interiors and more, there's a good chance you might be a coastal grandmother. And, no, you don't have to be a grandmother to be a coastal grandmother."

Jennifer Lopez seems to have gotten the memo. During a Mother's Day outing with her 14-year-old daughter Emme on Sunday, the Marry Me star wore a look befitting of either a Cape Cod beach house or lunch at Malibu's celeb-favored Nobu.

The singer wore an airy white button-up dress, which she cinched at the waist with an Hermès belt. But, it's her cable knit cardigan that truly seals the deal. The creamy Jonathan Simkhai creation features a fringe hem, shawl lapels, and a belted waist—perfect for wrapping yourself up against beachside winds.

J. Lo further accessorized with her coveted Hermès Himalayan crocodile Birkin bag and tinted shades from Max Mara.

Along with Emme, Lopez also shares her 14-year-old son Max with ex-husband Marc Anthony.

Lopez previously talked about how the pandemic brought her closer to her kids in an interview with WSJ. Magazine.

"They need us in a different way," she said. "We have to slow down and we have to connect more. And, you know, I don't want to miss things. And I realized, 'God. I would have missed that if I wasn't here today.'"
I expect J Lo’s attorney will file a cease and desist and slander lawsuit on the publication that just called her a grandma.

What about us in the Midwest? I mean we have Lake Michigan( baby ocean) and lake homes. Does that count? I am not a grandma but love coastal style.
I live in Chicago-land myself--for years when on garden walks (at millionaire/billionaire homes) they were doing CG forever, though Lake Forest did get into the bright green/pink print clothing (don't recall the designer but all the LF ladies wore it--a total uniform along with their tans).

I am more a bo-ho chic type of gal--anything light-colored on me attracts spills/dirt/smudges so I do more jewel tones. But I do love linen.

I live in Chicago-land myself--for years when on garden walks (at millionaire/billionaire homes) they were doing CG forever, though Lake Forest did get into the bright green/pink print clothing (don't recall the designer but all the LF ladies wore it--a total uniform along with their tans).

I am more a bo-ho chic type of gal--anything light-colored on me attracts spills/dirt/smudges so I do more jewel tones. But I do love linen.
I think you maybe talking about lily pullitzer or Johnny was. That’s popular in our “coastal” areas among the wealthy and our very short summer allowing

I think you maybe talking about lily pullitzer or Johnny was. That’s popular in our “coastal” areas among the wealthy and our very short summer allowing

Agree that pink and green print sounds very Lilly Pulitzer. There’s also vineyard vines, but I feel they tend to skew more blue and red, less pink and green. Both LP and vv are popular up and down the East Coast of the US, although I’m not sure they meet the CG aesthetic? At least not their more colorful offerings. vv does do some great neutrals, including cashmere sweaters and dresses. LP has been doing more solids recently, but I still feel like they’re known for their prints.

I must say I have lived in either Honolulu, LA & San Diego beach cities when I have lived in the USA and this Coastal Grandma thing is so NOT typically West Coast. No to Lily Pulitzer, Vineyard Vines, Ralph Lauren, et al. I see mostly yoga wear, Lululemon, Athleta, Vince. Even Grandmas don’t like being called grandma here on The West Coast.

Last edited:
I must say I have lived in either Honolulu, LA & San Diego beach cities when I have lived in the USA and this Coastal Grandma thing is so NOT typically West Coast. No to Lily Pulitzer, Vineyard Vines, Ralph Lauren, et al. I see mostly yoga wear, Lululemon, Athleta, Vince. Even Grandmas don’t like being called grandma here on The West Coast.

I'm certainly no expert, I've only heard about it on this thread! But my impression of it is a bit different. I've assumed it's aesthetically similar to 90s minimalism. So, more a focus on luxurious fabrics, clean, simple, classic lines (a bit menswear inspired), pale and/or neutral colors, and not necessarily any recognizable brands. Regarding lifestyle, it seems to center on creating a peaceful, lovely, living environment tailored to ones own likes and needs, enjoying simple pleasures, seeking out fulfilling activities and relationships, and saying no to those that are not. Or maybe I'm just projecting, as all above is what I like and do! Regarding the grandma moniker, I'm not one, but I think many grandmothers now opt to be called something else.

But my impression of it is a bit different. I've assumed it's aesthetically similar to 90s minimalism. So, more a focus on luxurious fabrics, clean, simple, classic lines (a bit menswear inspired), pale and/or neutral colors, and not necessarily any recognizable brands.

Yes totally agree. I can’t stand the bright pinks and pastels and tacky prints of Lily Pulitzer and Vineyard Vines. The Coastal Grandmother look is very different, focused on white and light neutrals, a refined, elegant, even privileged look, pared-down but well made clothing, elevated by good jewelry and good taste.

I'm certainly no expert, I've only heard about it on this thread! But my impression of it is a bit different. I've assumed it's aesthetically similar to 90s minimalism. So, more a focus on luxurious fabrics, clean, simple, classic lines (a bit menswear inspired), pale and/or neutral colors, and not necessarily any recognizable brands. Regarding lifestyle, it seems to center on creating a peaceful, lovely, living environment tailored to ones own likes and needs, enjoying simple pleasures, seeking out fulfilling activities and relationships, and saying no to those that are not. Or maybe I'm just projecting, as all above is what I like and do! Regarding the grandma moniker, I'm not one, but I think many grandmothers now opt to be called something else.
The first time I have heard of it is on this thread and frankly, I find it off putting. Although I am not a Grandma, I am Grandma age and Coastal and who ever coined this phrase knows nothing of the Glam Mothers in Southern California. The only time we/they wear that stuff is in the garden, farmers market, carpool run…. Whenever we DO NOT want to be seen. Calling Jlo’s outfit Grandma whatever is laughable with her Hermes Birkin Himalaya at Nobu Malibu. Maybe Dowager Empress.

I am no expert, but I don’t see coastal GM style in LA at all. It is the polar opposite of Glam, sexy, fierce. i Also think, as a 54 year old olive skinned Asian, CG is mainly suited to caucasians, but that’s just my spur of the moment impression.

If a coastal GM is West coast, maybe very monied Portland or seattle with a cream suede slip on birkenstock like the Kyoto.

i think maybe Maine, RI. perhaps montauk but not the Hamptons. Not Nantucket or Marthas vineyard.

possibly Santa Barbara or Montecito (specifically the brunello cuchinelli at Miramar)

it’s more Khaite or The Row, than Lily Pulitzer

but IDK. . .

The only time we/they wear that stuff is in the garden, farmers market, carpool run

i think that is exactly the aesthetic lol :hugs:but CGs no longer carpool bc their kids have grown up

There should be a sense of “I’m not trying to look young or fabulous; I’m effortless in garments that look like loose fitting pajamas (like nili Lohan as per @doloresmia, whose BV cabat pics — I don’t recall if they were ottone on ebene — and tonal beige brown coupons indiennes CSGM from years back fit the aesthetic) Needless to say, that action pic made a lasting impression on me :smile:

@diane278 ’s bone cuff is perfect for a CG

i strive for this relaxed effortlessness but don’t always attain it :lol:
I need to tailor my loose white shirts so they don’t make me look boxy lol

Last edited: