Let's have some support for not buying dream bags

coco-nut

Addicted to H
O.G.
Jan 15, 2006
When we're looking to make a purchase, any of us can make a post and have a dozen purse forum friends urging us on.

But what about when we choose not to bid on a gorgeous bag, and not to whip out our credit card when we spot the most luxurious leather ever? I had a $2065 bid all primed and ready-to-go in my auctionstealer sniping service last night for the most delightful Judith Leiber bag on eBay. It is made out of a large shell and absolutely just my style. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6859163173&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

I chose not to bid about an hour before the auction. I rationalized buying it by thinking of all the things I could sell on eBay, but haven't taken the time to do. And I thought about all of the fabulous future income I will have by selling my listings (I'm a real estate agent), but those paychecks are months away. I thought about spending part of the annual bonus my husband got last week, but he wants to invest that money, and he should, he earned it.

When I was younger, I could justify buying things just because they were beautiful, but it's harder and harder for me to do that. I'm sad I let this one get away, but I think it was the right thing to do. Can I have a shoulder to cry on?

Attachments

• e5_1.JPG
    e5_1.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 85
coco-nut, here's a shoulder! I recently passed up a Lanvin jetset bag and Lanvin 2005 black kansas bag. I need to also think about paying my taxes and I recently shelled out $1K for car repairs. So I feel your pain. That JL clutch was just TDF! But here's to your rationality!!!

coco-nut, good for you not giving into temptation :P...........i feel like it's good me not to always get what i want and i definitely think that we need a support group for those of us who pass up on bags either because we can't afford them or because it's just more rational not to buy them.....i did the same with a chanel bag, and although i kinda regret it i know it was for the best.....i totally support you and am here for you :biggrin:

Coco-nut, you were very thoughtful to make that judgement call. I'm sure there will be other opportunities to buy a beautiful Judith Leiber in the future when you're ready. Your exercise in restraint is commendable.

I'm right there with you, I hate the thought of having to sell one of my favorite bags, but it's for a good reason.

It sounds like you made the right decision. There will be other opportunities! Think of it as a positive thing - buying the bag will be much more rewarding later on :biggrin:

I have been dying to buy my first LV....I actually had the money last week. I choose to get a pair of coach sunglasses and hold out until late Summer for the LV as it will be my Fall and winter bag. I decided to get a white leather bag from Coach (Not the big one) but Im going to wait a few weeks to get it. I do feel like I am settling and that sux....

BUT I came into work today and showed my coworker the LV's I am considering and she told me to not buy anything over a hundred dollars, unless I already had double the price in my wallet. Meaning if the bag is $800, I need to wait until I have a spare $1600 that way, after I get my obsession, I will still have money left over for anything I need that arises and I wont feel bad for spending so much on a bag. I thought that sounded like a WONDERFUL Idea and I plan to hold true to it for all my future purchases. Now I just need $700 so I can get my $350 Coach Leather bag.

Good for you coconut! It takes a lot of restraint to pass up a great handbag. We all need a little support now and again, especially when we have to pass up something we REALLY want!

I'm proud of you, you made a good decision! That's the problem with getting older, you get a little wiser and start to realize that there are other situations that take priority over buying a bag. I feel your pain ... I've been trying to save some to buy a bag I really want. Now if all the TPF members would stop showing all the beautiful bags they want to sell off, I would have been fine!!:sad2: :sad2:

Self-discipline is not easy, but it comes with the reward of knowing you did the right thing. Feel proud of yourself!!! Had you bought the bag, you may not have enjoyed it because you may have felt guilty.

I hope you find another wonderful bag when all your real estate commissions come through!

I think you did an admirable thing as well, especially since you were being considerate about your husband's wishes. You shouldn't feel bad about it at all - there will always be another bag out there you'll like when you do have the money to spend on it. And you'll feel totally guilt free :smile:

no need to cry! our obsession shouldn't be stressful. you did the right thing. expensive bags are a dime a dozen (so to speak). so you chose not to spend the bucks on one bag - big deal. there will always be another great bag out there to score. I think you are sooo right to keep things in perspective. After my purchases come in this week, I'm taking a break from buying so I remember not to get out of hand. Enjoy all the great stuff you have now, and take yourselves out to a great dinner!