Let's get Creative - Who are your Favorite Artists?

Just thought I would start up a new thread as couldn't see one and talk about something that I'm very passionate about and that is ART. Any type from surrealism to pop-art to 3D-architectural designs to fashion and all the other forms that we have...

I'll start I love all the work done by Nigel Coates at the moment and not very long ago I was also very inspired by Wayne Hemingway. Nigel Coates for me at the moment has I think fantastically depicted what London Culture is all about. His work using the Battersea Power Station has transformed its surrounding landscapes and brought positive light within the neighbour hoods. A must see.

Who are your favorite artists and why?

Painting/drawing:

I love Modigliani -- the colors are so rich yet muted, and the expressionless faces evoke so much emotion.

Bosch -- really interested, messed up stuff, in great detail.

Goya -- He spans the spectrum. I absolutely love his drawings. There is one of a very happy man with big bare feet swinging on a swing. It's so happy it's almost sad. Then there are his horrific works, such as Saturn eating his child. It stops me in my tracks every time I come across it.

William Blake -- I love his poems and drawings. I have a giant book of them, and I can spend hours flipping through them.

Fashion:

Dries van Noten -- I love his mishmash of vibrant, complicated yet simple patterns. I'm obsessed with his shoes every season.

more recent?

Henson -- Sesame Street characters are classics in my book. I love Carburetor Jones!! So imaginative, so perfect for both children and adults.

I like all kinds of art, but find I'm really drawn to impressionism. Love Monet!

Kal Gajoum is a wonderful artist. I was fortunate enough to see one of his shows a few years ago and really wish I'd purchased a piece or two.

I also really enjoy photographic art. Eugene Atget has some amazing photos of Paris.

My favorite is John Singer Sargent.

My favorite painting is Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Newton Phelps Stokes.

He is most famous, though, his painting of Virginie Amélie Avegno Gautreau... known as Madame X.

Attachments

• John%20Singer%20Sargent-859733.jpg
    John%20Singer%20Sargent-859733.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 260px-Sargent_MadameX.jpg
    260px-Sargent_MadameX.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 39
Those are great ... Impressionism is fascinating I must say. I wish I had the talent to go out there and ooze creative flare but I usually leave that to the artists. The latest exhibition that I went to was Super Contemporary at the London Design Museum (the architects such as Zaha Hadid and Nigel Coates are 2 artists that have especially inspired me even though they architects) I'd recommend going ... In fact due to the friendly conversation that i've been having with you all - I'd be happy to sort you some tickets .. entitling you to free entry. Let me know if you'd be interested.

P.s Apologies didn't see that thread so I decided to start one up. Happy to take down if necessary.

I love Medieval Art in general, and mostly manuscripts so it's hard to pin an artist.
The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, LOVE all those paintings.

Currently, Jose Parla http://www.joseparla.com is one of my favorites. I went to one of his lectures/shows, so inspiring.
Brad Brown

Some local artists from my hometown I think are great as well:
Tobe Harvey -does some interesting works....abstract....also was a student of his Tobe L. Harvey
Ric Gendron -amazing paintings and use of color, he's won a few awards and show across the country http://tinmanartworks.com/

And Michael Vanderbyl....he's a designer but he does EVERYTHING it's amazing. Also got to see him speak, again so inspiring.

Last edited:
Kandinsky (expressionism) is one of my favorite artists. I love his shapes & colors.

I also am particularly drawn to medieval religious art.

I am a writer, so I think words are art. some of my favorite writers are emily dickinson, jane austen, cs lewis, jrr tolkein, gk chesterton, homer...& so many more

Some great thoughts for artists in here... In fact i went to this exhibition last week and it was mind blowing - Its called Super Contemporary (at the London Design Museum) and my thoughts on it are that it provides us with a good image of what London as a city is all about as well as what it is becoming. I found it to also create a great celebration atmosphere ... Really enjoyed it and actually wouldn't mind going again before it ends in October. I hope this avenue will attain me a free entry: www.supercontemporary.co.uk/?s=ticket-giveaway ....I thought I would share it with you all as a thank you for making me feel welcome.