Let's get Creative - Who are your Favorite Artists?

B

beefeater24

Just thought I would start up a new thread as couldn't see one and talk about something that I'm very passionate about and that is ART. Any type from surrealism to pop-art to 3D-architectural designs to fashion and all the other forms that we have...

I'll start I love all the work done by Nigel Coates at the moment and not very long ago I was also very inspired by Wayne Hemingway. Nigel Coates for me at the moment has I think fantastically depicted what London Culture is all about. His work using the Battersea Power Station has transformed its surrounding landscapes and brought positive light within the neighbour hoods. A must see.

Who are your favorite artists and why?

plumaplomb

O.G.
Dec 10, 2008
Burbs
Painting/drawing:

I love Modigliani -- the colors are so rich yet muted, and the expressionless faces evoke so much emotion.

Bosch -- really interested, messed up stuff, in great detail.

Goya -- He spans the spectrum. I absolutely love his drawings. There is one of a very happy man with big bare feet swinging on a swing. It's so happy it's almost sad. Then there are his horrific works, such as Saturn eating his child. It stops me in my tracks every time I come across it.

William Blake -- I love his poems and drawings. I have a giant book of them, and I can spend hours flipping through them.

Fashion:

Dries van Noten -- I love his mishmash of vibrant, complicated yet simple patterns. I'm obsessed with his shoes every season.

more recent?

Henson -- Sesame Street characters are classics in my book. I love Carburetor Jones!! So imaginative, so perfect for both children and adults.

Spinky

I want all the bags
O.G.
Jun 25, 2007
Caught in the bell tower
I like all kinds of art, but find I'm really drawn to impressionism. Love Monet!

Kal Gajoum is a wonderful artist. I was fortunate enough to see one of his shows a few years ago and really wish I'd purchased a piece or two.

I also really enjoy photographic art. Eugene Atget has some amazing photos of Paris.

B

beefeater24

Those are great ... Impressionism is fascinating I must say. I wish I had the talent to go out there and ooze creative flare but I usually leave that to the artists. The latest exhibition that I went to was Super Contemporary at the London Design Museum (the architects such as Zaha Hadid and Nigel Coates are 2 artists that have especially inspired me even though they architects) I'd recommend going ... In fact due to the friendly conversation that i've been having with you all - I'd be happy to sort you some tickets .. entitling you to free entry. Let me know if you'd be interested.

P.s Apologies didn't see that thread so I decided to start one up. Happy to take down if necessary.

seaotta

Oct 21, 2008
Seattle
I love Medieval Art in general, and mostly manuscripts so it's hard to pin an artist.
The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, LOVE all those paintings.

Currently, Jose Parla http://www.joseparla.com is one of my favorites. I went to one of his lectures/shows, so inspiring.
Brad Brown

Some local artists from my hometown I think are great as well:
Tobe Harvey -does some interesting works....abstract....also was a student of his Tobe L. Harvey
Ric Gendron -amazing paintings and use of color, he's won a few awards and show across the country http://tinmanartworks.com/

And Michael Vanderbyl....he's a designer but he does EVERYTHING it's amazing. Also got to see him speak, again so inspiring.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2009
SoFla
Kandinsky (expressionism) is one of my favorite artists. I love his shapes & colors.

I also am particularly drawn to medieval religious art.

I am a writer, so I think words are art. some of my favorite writers are emily dickinson, jane austen, cs lewis, jrr tolkein, gk chesterton, homer...& so many more

B

beefeater24

Some great thoughts for artists in here... In fact i went to this exhibition last week and it was mind blowing - Its called Super Contemporary (at the London Design Museum) and my thoughts on it are that it provides us with a good image of what London as a city is all about as well as what it is becoming. I found it to also create a great celebration atmosphere ... Really enjoyed it and actually wouldn't mind going again before it ends in October. I hope this avenue will attain me a free entry: www.supercontemporary.co.uk/?s=ticket-giveaway ....I thought I would share it with you all as a thank you for making me feel welcome.