Lessons after one week on TPF

SSmom02

Apr 19, 2017
Hey everyone! So I joined TPF when I bought my first LV bag a little more than a week ago. As I was reading through the posts I immediately started to get paranoid. Every detail was nitpicked and it seemed like more times than not the general consensus of most commenters were to return/exchange the item. On some of these items I did not even see an issue. It made me question my bag and the overall quality. I feel while a lot of these posts are very helpful because some bags do have obvious defects they can also create a sort of perfection paranoia for other members. I had to exchange my first bag due to an obvious error but the one I exchanged for has some really wrinkled straps. The SA told me it was just the way the bag had been stored. Should I have asked to see a different one? Absolutely! Thats on me. I spent all day yesterday dealing with anxiety over needing to exchange the bag again. Today I have had somewhat of a wake up call. Yes, the straps are pretty wrinkled but its DE and that was going to happen anyways. Im not going to take the bag back for a second time and exchange in a quest for perfection that Im sure will never be achieved. Even if they did exchange it again the straps will more than likely need repairing at some point. The way I see it an exchange could be the difference in me having to pay for the repair down the road or getting it free of charge since it seems to all be determined on a case by case basis. Maybe Im wrong in my thinking but it seems we need to chill (myself included) when it comes to trying to achieve perfection. I totally understand wanting to get what you pay for but I feel like getting good customer service, free repairs, etc will pay off more in the long run than if you annoy your SA. This is just my opinion and it could be really wrong since Im new to the world of LV. Im curious what everyone else's thoughts are.

I agree with you, some of the bags are getting overly scrutinized on TPF, especially the very popular ones like the Pochette Metis. I bet there are at least 30 different threads about the infamous glazing issue :hrmm:.
On the other hand it´s good to get all these insights / personal experiences with potential issues for different bags before deciding to buy them.

But yes this forum can make you a bit paranoid :wtf:. I just try to ignore most of these discussions and enjoy my bags. Mine are all perfectly fine and don´t have the discussed issues. Maybe I was just lucky :wave:.

Youre right. TPF is a fantatic resource for researching a bag before spending a lot of money on it. Its also a fun place to share a passion and get time out from the "real world" but its important to remember that TPF is a bubble. [emoji4] this is where the bag lovers get together! Most important thing is if YOU are happy.

I agree! This is a fantastic resource and I wish I had discovered it before I bought my DE neverfull. Im not sure it would have changed my mind but at least I would have been more aware of the issues. You just have to use your own judgement on what is really something majorly wrong with the bag and what is just over analyzing a tiny detail. If I bought a car with leather seats I doubt I would have inspected it as closely as I did those straps and that is a much bigger purchase [emoji81]!

I agree! This is a fantastic resource and I wish I had discovered it before I bought my DE neverfull. Im not sure it would have changed my mind but at least I would have been more aware of the issues. You just have to use your own judgement on what is really something majorly wrong with the bag and what is just over analyzing a tiny detail. If I bought a car with leather seats I doubt I would have inspected it as closely as I did those straps and that is a much bigger purchase [emoji81]!
+1 exactly! I love using TPF as resource and like increasing my knowledge about bags but I also think it's important to use good judgement and be realistic too. At the end of the day you want to be happy and enjoy your purchase. [emoji4]

haha, I'm a bit OCD, and for the money I'm paying for the bags, they gotta to be perfect (at least when I'm buying them at the store), if second hand, I wouldn't mind that much at all as long as they are authentic in new, like new or good condition depends on the price they are selling.

Omg! I totally agree with you! I am a very OCD person as well. I was just thinking this morning that if I had purchased this bag in the condition its in off of Fashionphile or some other preloved dealer I wouldnt have thought twice about it. Whats funny about that is the purses listed on Fashionphile in "excellent" and "like new" condition are sometimes only like $50 off the price of just buying a new one. When I think of it like that it makes sweating the small stuff seem kind of silly.

its in off of Fashionphile or some other preloved dealer I wouldnt have thought twice about it. Whats funny about that is the purses listed on Fashionphile in "excellent" and "like new" condition are sometimes only like $50 off the price of just buying a new one. When I think of it like that it makes sweating the small stuff seem kind of silly.
Yup, I had bought one bag from a dealer before which I learned a lesson... that they may photographed bag a lot better looking than it is. Yup, I would rather pay retail to go to the store buying a new one. I don't even trust my hubby buying me a bag from Europe, call me silly! OK, I may still let him buying it, the price difference is like buying from a second hand market :P

Well there's perfectionism and there's a level of standard one expects from a luxury good. Some have higher standard's than others. For me it's got to look like there's been a obvious sloppy workmanship that has gone on. Or the sloppiness will turn into premature wear and tear. Or a major defect that will impact on durability. In those instances I will take the bag back. That's what I have learnt from TPF :biggrin:

I agree with you, some of the bags are getting overly scrutinized on TPF, especially the very popular ones like the Pochette Metis. I bet there are at least 30 different threads about the infamous glazing issue :hrmm:.

The "infamous glazing issue" was a real issue and every single person who posted about that and returned/exchanged their bag was on point. My bag had that issue in a small part that was not really noticeable so I decided to keep my bag but others were peeling like a snake losing its skin and after paying 2 grand or even 100 bucks, a new bag should not be doing that.

Some other issues I see though such as lose threads or wrinkle handles or misalignment, obviously the person is bothered by it so if offering them advice makes them feel better then advice I shall offer. These things can bother me because I am legit OCD as in I actually truly have OCD I'm not just using the term OCD as a way to describe a quirk about myself however with that said I do not make posts on TPF about it because I know its nonsense lol. Only thing that really bothers me per say is when someone has clearly caused the issue to the bag themselves and then is asking if they should return it or if LV should fix it for free.

Well there's perfectionism and there's a level of standard one expects from a luxury good. Some have higher standard's than others. For me it's got to look like there's been a obvious sloppy workmanship that has gone on. Or the sloppiness will turn into premature wear and tear. Or a major defect that will impact on durability. In those instances I will take the bag back. That's what I have learnt from TPF :biggrin:

Absolutely. I dont regret exchanging my bag one bit. The silk screen logo had worn off but more importantly Im pretty sure I got a returned/floor model bag. The zipper pulls were all scratched up and the handles were extremely loose and you could see light coming through the top holes of them. To me the biggest issue there is the potential wear on the canvas...something they cant replace. I could have gone to get the handles repaired at some point and they told me no because of stretched canvas or something weird. My new bag does have wrinkled handles but at least thats something I know can be fixed. I can definitely say even with the wrinkles this bag feels much sturdier than the one I returned and there is no issue with loose handles or concerns about holes in the canvas.

While I do agree that we over-scrutinize sometimes, for most people these are high ticket items and people should be happy with their purchase and sometimes there are legit issues. IE the PM glazing. However I do roll my eyes when I see "is this normal" posts with absolutely nothing wrong with the bag or obvious "self-inflicted" damages that people think LV or what ever brand is responsible for...lol.

The "infamous glazing issue" was a real issue and every single person who posted about that and returned/exchanged their bag was on point. My bag had that issue in a small part that was not really noticeable so I decided to keep my bag but others were peeling like a snake losing its skin and after paying 2 grand or even 100 bucks, a new bag should not be doing that.

Some other issues I see though such as lose threads or wrinkle handles or misalignment, obviously the person is bothered by it so if offering them advice makes them feel better then advice I shall offer. These things can bother me because I am legit OCD as in I actually truly have OCD I'm not just using the term OCD as a way to describe a quirk about myself however with that said I do not make posts on TPF about it because I know its nonsense lol. Only thing that really bothers me per say is when someone has clearly caused the issue to the bag themselves and then is asking if they should return it or if LV should fix it for free.
I did not say that this issue wasn´t real, but all the discussions made some people a bit paranoid and they saw glazing issues on their PMs where there weren´t any.

I did not say that this issue wasn´t real, but all the discussions made some people a bit paranoid and they saw glazing issues on their PMs where there weren´t any.

Ok well I was a big part of that thread and everyone I saw who said their bag had glaze coming off did have glaze coming off. I just don't think this should turn into shaming those with legit issues that's all, not that I'm saying you are shaming people just in general. After all this is the purse forum where we come together to discuss handbags we have purchased.