Lesson learned from Fashionphile

Mrs. MFH

Dec 25, 2012
Hi ladies, I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and will have a Happy New Year. I was intending on doing a very special reveal on my 2 new Chanel Bags however that is not the case and I would like to share my experience with you concerning Fashionphile. I know that many TPF members have had issues with them selling fakes etc, but I've never had any issues with them until now. It ended well thank goodness BUT I've definitely learned a thing or 2. Sit back this is kind of long. I will try to shorten it a bit.
The background: I have been looking for a Red Chanel for quite some time. So when this particular one popped up on Fashionphile I was stoked. Chanel Double Flap Jumbo Brand New...complete with all the trimmings ImageUploadedByPurseForum1388474099.365987.jpg
Notice the serial # 15653444 (that's important)
I cannot link the actual webpage because it will also link my account info. I assumed that because of the price $5295 and because it was new that the Red was 14C lambskin. That's mistake 1..do your research. I know retail price is $4900 and with tax it would be about the same if I went into the Boutique, but the nearest boutique is in Dubai, so I placed the item on layaway mid October. I'm not sure when I realized that the Red was in fact 12C ( I think from the serial number and and looking through reveals of other TPF members and their Red reveals (******** etc) that I realized it was probably a 12C. No worries because I also knew the 14C had orange undertones but not as much as the 12C. So I didn't want to cancel the item because for layaway cancellations they charge a 10% restocking fee and I would lose $529.50. So I settled and kept paying for the bag. That's mistake 2...never settle. In the meantime I knew that I wanted the 14C so I purchased a brand new 14C chanel Clutch With Chain in Caviar from a trusted seller on eBay at retail price (had it authenticated, and I love it) reveal on that later. Back to the jumbo. I paid for the item and received it yesterday and to my dismay...packaged very well BUT 2 dark black ink spots...I'm like wtf. These spots aren't in the photos on their website. So at first I tried to convince myself these marks were ok. Even googled how to remove them. I read Aveeno Lotion, alcohol (but it also remove color) etc but the one that stuck out was on lovingmybags.com "ink stains are best removed as soon as it happens or else it sets into the leather, especially lambskin because it's porous". So I'm like ok, I'm going to just email Fashionphile because I want a refund. For $5300 I want PERFECTION. I'm not rich and I don't have the money to keep dishing out $5K for a bag. Especially when I missed out on the So Black Jumbo that Poohbag posted. Had I waited I could've gotten my UHG Chanel. Pics of my bag with ink marks. ImageUploadedByPurseForum1388475365.349034.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1388475449.096858.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1388475506.132182.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1388475544.917187.jpg
Now I know in the pictures they seem small but they were noticeable to me immediately which led me to believe that if I noticed them, they should have been listed and the bag shouldn't be listed as brand new. New bags don't come with ink marks. When I first emailed Fashionphile they responded immediately and asked that I send pictures. I sent the ones above plus more. Their response "this bag looks orange, the bag you purchased is red". is I explained to them it was an orange red and that when the flash is on, u can't really see the ink marks and I sent them these 2 pics to show them. I also didn't remove any of the tags. ImageUploadedByPurseForum1388475893.368813.jpg to be continued...max of 6 pics upload. Note that you cannot see any of the ink marks in this picturepiwith the flash o

Last edited:
Next up is the pic without the flash and u can see 1 of the ink marks on the left bottom of the flap. (The other is just under the flap) ImageUploadedByPurseForum1388476096.814246.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1388476114.985503.jpg.
The time difference here is 10+ PST so I went to sleep but not before doing a simple google search on 12c Chanel red and look what pops up a few items down Fashionphile 12C Chanel Jumbo Red shows up...ImageUploadedByPurseForum1388476297.180334.jpg same serial number ...I'm like wait a minute. They had this bag before listed as new. And somebody returned it....notice how much orange it looks in this listing compared to the one listed that I bought on my first post... Now I'm thinking they really new the ink marks were there and listed it without mentioning the flaws. If you look, you still cannot see any ink marks. In the listing I bought the last pick on the website the straps are placed in front of the bag which I initially thought was odd. But I didn't listen to my gut feeling. Mistake 3...trust your intuition ladies.
Anywho I checked my email and their response "they could offer me $300 to compensate or return for full refund". So ofcourse I returned the item today. Why would $300 compensate a known flawed bag, smh. Thank goodness I'll get my money back but I think I'm done with online Chanel buying. It's just better for me to see touch and feel the bag. When paying so much I want perfection. Bad thing is I have a WOC on layaway with them. So I posted this so hopefully someone can benefit from my experience. Fashionphile had great customer service with their timely response etc but to offer me $300 as compensation was an insult IMO. Some ladies may have kept it and dealt with but I just wasn't happy with it, and a part of it stems from the fact that I was just settling. So to recap, do your research, never settle, trust your intuition and a bonus...Be patient because I got my perfect red in 14C caviar CWC while the 12C was on layaway. Reveal later and I will post comparison pics to show that it doesn't have that much orange compared to the 12C. Thank you for letting me share. Have a Happy New a Year!

Omg! I am so sorry for your headaches and troubles.

I almost bought something from them but decided not to. I exchanged several emails with them to clarify the item because I noticed inconsistencies in the descriptions. They were prompt in responding, but I don't have a high level of trust after a few back and forth!

Thanks for sharing! I am glad it all worked out!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Omg! I am so sorry for your headaches and troubles.

I almost bought something from them but decided not to. I exchanged several emails with them to clarify the item because I noticed inconsistencies in the descriptions. They were prompt in responding, but I don't have a high level of trust after a few back and forth!

Thanks for sharing! I am glad it all worked out!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yes I'm glad it worked out too! I should've known when they didn't respond to my email asking if it was in fact 14C. I forgot all about that. Oh well, you live and learn:smile:

What a headache!! Glad you were able to have some resolution!

A major headache indeed for almost 1 whole day.

Boy Mrs. MFH, what a headache! I'm glad fashionphile agreed to refund! The bag was definitely misrepresented! Cautionary tale indeed and this is very helpful info to share! I can't wait to see pics of your 14C CWC!!!

Ps if you want your title fixed, just hit the report button and our mod swanky mama will fix it for you.

They would have refunded regardless of the mark even if you just changed your mind, as they have a refund policy. Although in any case the least they could do was accommodate you since they didn't describe the mark. I don't think offering you a discount for the flaw was insulting, although I do agree I would have done the same as you and returned it. The best thing you did was continue the transaction when you realized it wasn't the one you were looking for. This way you saved the "restocking" layaway cancelation fee. BTW - the hologram # is in the description so you could have seen it wasn't current season. I'm glad it worked out in the end. :smile:

Interesting to see if they repost this bag being honest and showing the ink marks. I also think perhaps the description should not read new because to me the ink marks show use in some way but that is my personal opinion. It is a beautiful bag but ink marks on it would ruin me from wanting the bag. I have seen a few things on heir site that I wanted to buy but would not shop there due to past stories posted on fakes and to me I have also noticed flaws in bags that were not described.

Wow this is horrible! I did not know that others have bought fakes from fashionphile? I thought they were reputable. Thank you for sharing your story. Maybe sticking with the boutiques is the best way to go!

New is new. I don't care if they argue the photos showed the ink marks, they should have been revealed if the bag is claimed to be new. My lesson learned: don't buy from Fashionphile. For the price they charged you, it should have been perfect.

They would have refunded regardless of the mark even if you just changed your mind, as they have a refund policy. Although in any case the least they could do was accommodate you since they didn't describe the mark. I don't think offering you a discount for the flaw was insulting, although I do agree I would have done the same as you and returned it. The best thing you did was continue the transaction when you realized it wasn't the one you were looking for. This way you saved the "restocking" layaway cancelation fee. BTW - the hologram # is in the description so you could have seen it wasn't current season. I'm glad it worked out in the end. :smile:

Yes I did notice the serial numbers but not until after already purchasing did I began to pay attention to them and learn that the serial numbers did not match the current season. That's why I said mistake 1 do your research, because I failed to do adequate research. As for the return they charge a 10% restocking fee for cancelled as well as layaway returns. So I couldn't just return it outright because I didn't want to pay the $529.50. I wanted a full refund. Returned layaway items do not get FULL refunds. It's really unfortunate that they do that but they claim it's because they pay the seller the full amount when it sells. I think $300 was an insult because it still would have been $4900 and that's retail for a new bag. It's not new so they probably could've reduced more and I still would've returned over principal. I believe they have those bright lights/cameras on bags to cover any flaws, fail to mention them, and hope the buyer will "overlook" the flaw and deal with it.

Interesting to see if they repost this bag being honest and showing the ink marks. I also think perhaps the description should not read new because to me the ink marks show use in some way but that is my personal opinion. It is a beautiful bag but ink marks on it would ruin me from wanting the bag. I have seen a few things on heir site that I wanted to buy but would not shop there due to past stories posted on fakes and to me I have also noticed flaws in bags that were not described.

If they post this bag as new with those flaws then they need to be shutdown! Some buyers could accept ink marks if they are disclosed rather than hidden. I'm sure Chanel Spa could refurbish but that information should be disclosed UP front.

[

Boy Mrs. MFH, what a headache! I'm glad fashionphile agreed to refund! The bag was definitely misrepresented! Cautionary tale indeed and this is very helpful info to share! I can't wait to see pics of your 14C CWC!!!

Ps if you want your title fixed, just hit the report button and our mod swanky mama will fix it for you.

Thanks Poohbag. Looks like the mods fixed it already. Thanks for reading and I will post by this weekend my CWC.

That is certainly dishonest on their part. Thanks for sharing this info. And glad you got your money back.I have bought from Fashionphile before and very disappointed to hear this.

You are welcome and I'm glad they agreed to refund. I'll be ecstatic when the funds are indeed back in my account:smile:

Wow this is horrible! I did not know that others have bought fakes from fashionphile? I thought they were reputable. Thank you for sharing your story. Maybe sticking with the boutiques is the best way to go!

They are reputable but as with any reseller it's best to have items authenticated because remember they are not the original owners of the items. I know they have experts but I prefer a 3rd party like here on TPF ( Roku and CB) or a paid service for piece of mine. Just google Fashionphile and there are many results from TPF alone.

New is new. I don't care if they argue the photos showed the ink marks, they should have been revealed if the bag is claimed to be new. My lesson learned: don't buy from Fashionphile. For the price they charged you, it should have been perfect.

Agreed. Definitely won't be buying from them again, well minus the WOC I have on layaway. It's just for me I don't trust them anymore, it's a shame cause their bags are pretty nice for the most part, but overpriced as well.