Lending your LVs to others

Dec 19, 2008
Recently, I've had a close friend that I've known for at least 10 years ask if she could borrow one of my LVs (Brea or Vernis Alma) to her so that she could take it to her upcoming trip to Japan.

The only person that has used my LV is my mother. I'm okay with that because a) she's my mom and b) she's the one that bought me my LVs. She knows how much I love my bags and care for them so that they stay mint, so I feel like my bags are safe with her..besides she's also taken care of me all these years and I'm okay. :P

With my friend, she has LVs of her own, and she knows how special and the love I have towards my belongings since I tell her everything. I'm not saying she doesn't take good care of her stuff.. But I've seen her do things to her LVs that I would never do.
I don't know if I should lend my bags out to her. I feel like she knows me well enough to take care of my bags, but at the same time... I'm not so reassured. Since I feel like she's a friend, and its not the same as lending it to my mom?

Has anyone ever lent their bags out to friends? I'd love to hear your experiences and opinions on this.

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't lend my bags to anyone (aside from very close family).
If you know she doesn't always treat her own things well, then she probably will treat yours the same way.

I don't think I could loan mine to anyone - I'd just fret about it the whole time wondering if they were looking after it like I would. I couldn't borrow someone else's either - because I'd feel SO bad if anything happened to it. Just not worth it. If she has her own LVs why does she want yours anyway?

I have only every loaned one of my LV's out to a friend that totally understood how I felt about my bags, how to treat the bag, and how much it was. She is like me in that if she had ruined the bag or anything had happened to it, I know she would have replaced it in a heartbeat, and I also knew that she could afford to do so. I know her well enough to know that she understood this was sort of a big deal and that she would take care of the handbag and everything turned out fine! I guess it just depends on how well your friend understands how to take care of your bags!

lend no, i would rather give my bags away first...in my personally opinion burrowing isnt classy (especially if they do it all the time). i rather have/ enjoy my own belongings... at the end of the day i know it's mine. the fact of having to return someone else belongings back after wearing it, isnt me(i just dont do it)...then there the select few that borrows and not take care if them.. THEN when and if they actually do give back your stuff it's all dirty and disgusting...no thanks:smile:

I don't think I'd loan my bags/LV items to anyone... only because I don't think people (especially my family/friends) really get how important these things are to me, not just financially. Also at the end of the day they aren't their bags... I don't know if I could be sure people would treat them properly.

If it was for an event for a day or so maybe... but a trip to Japan... the lack of control would scare me too much. Is it worth your friendship if something happens to your bag? To me it wouldn't be worth the risk...

I would not loan a bag that expensive for more than one night or so. And even then, I think it's not polite to ask to borrow such an expensive bag. I hope you keep your purses with you! If she really wants your bag maybe she could buy one?

Sure thing, why not. If I know they will take care of it, I see no problem with sharing the joy. My mom and my sister have borrowed from me frequently - i left one with my sister who lives in a different country - for a year since i wasn't using it much at the time. My mom has a few of mine in residency at the time, and I wouldnt mind letting others (friends, not family) use them as long as i know they would take care of them. They ARE just bags....

No way! Maybe my mom or sister but I'm kinda selfish with my bags! I take really good care of mine and they all pretty much still look new. Even when I buy I want to look at one that has been stored in the drawer.

I don't have a problem by lending my LV's to good friends. They know how spesial my bags are for me and will take good care for it. I also know they will replace it if something happend. A friend of mine loves a coupel of my purses, and had borrowed them for spesial occations, but she will only borrow the once still awailabel in the stores...

No, sorry. :nogood: I lent money to a so-called friend I trusted and it was like pulling teeth to get that money back and I no longer keep in contact with her.

I have seen some friends/co-workers treat their handbags like potato sacks (drop them on the floor, dig viciously through them, and throw their [wet] lunches inside--yikes!) that asking them to take special care would be beyond their comfort level. They can treat their bags in whatever way they want, but not if they belong to me.

I have given some of my nice bags to my friends as gifts and once it passes from my hands to theirs, they can do whatever they want to them.

I lend my bags often to my friends, but so far only the pochettes. They dont need the others (not yet at least). I have never had a problem with it, they also hold on to it and treat them like royalties. But then again, they don't threat there on bags like crap.

If I were you I would not lend it to her. Shes going out of the country, its not a week-end trip.