Legs irritated after shaving. Product advice?

LemonDrop

a Fendi bag and a bad attitude
O.G.
Jul 5, 2007
Hi, after I shave my legs the hair follicles on my legs seem really red and irritated. They aren't bumps or ingrown hairs and I wouldn't call it razor burn? I don't know what to call it except it's like I can see each individual hair follicle or pore. They are very red and angry looking.

Does anyone know what this is called and what kind of product I could use to calm it down?

I taught my DH that. Told him to stop asking me to buy him travel shaving cream but to use the hotel conditioner instead. We've never bought shaving cream again! He prefers conditioner!

You should try it after your pores are open (just soak them in warm water or bathe in warm water first)
DO NOT USE BODY SOAP! This will dry out your skin. You can use shaving cream or conditioner (yes it works) and remember to apply moisturizer or aloe vera after too sooth any irritation

Aveeno Daily Moisturising Lotion

I had this weird rash on my legs (not from shaving) that would itch and then I would scratch it in my sleep and it would get worse and worse. This stuff is the only thing that would get rid of it and I'd tried stuff prescribed by the doctor and everything. Apply it after every shower and when you feel like your legs are getting dry.

Attachments

• Aveeno-Daily-Moisturizing-Lotion-381370036005.jpg
    Aveeno-Daily-Moisturizing-Lotion-381370036005.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 304
I use to get this all the time and previously living in a hot climate area, it was quite embarassing. So I feel your pain.

The first thing that I did was stop using shaving gel with foam and loads of synethic ingredients. Something about the formulas would strip my skin and not give me the protection it needed from the razor blades.

I started to use products with cocoa butter, shea butter, or olive oil/almond oil that would create that natural barrier and protection my skin needed.
I won't plug the brand that I used as I work for this company, but it doesn't matter what company it comes from, as long as the ingredients are moisturising.

Also, rose absolute is fantastic for calming down red skin, so even if you don't switch up your shaving lotion/gel, see if you can grab some rose absolute or some sort of spray. That should automatically help the appearance of the bumps.

I no longer suffer from bumpy bits, ingrown hairs, and other blemishes on my legs :smile:

Good luck!

I shave in the shower, and I make sure I soak my legs for at least 5 minutes in the bath before and after I shave. Like, submerged fully under the bath water. The "after" soak really seems to make the difference. For several years I lived in a rental that did not have a tub, only a shower stall, and my legs were so irritated during that time! Crazy, but true.

I use sensitive shave cream, and if my legs feel particularly irritated I will add a bit of hydrocortisone cream to my lotion. I always apply lotion after I shave. Trader Joe's coconut body butter is very soothing.

I shave with Aveeno's shaving gel and then apply one of their moisturizers on after when my skin is still damp and I've never had any problems with irritation and I LOVE the shaving cream. So much better than anything with those strong perfume smells and it's so smooth. Totally different texture than anything else I've ever used.

You can get it at any drug store too which is always convenient!