Legal to withhold wage information?

carousel eyes

Dec 4, 2008
I have no knowledge regarding wages or anything of that sort, so I thought I'd see if anyone else knew...

My friend, who is a college student, has been working for a convenience/drug store [in NJ] for about 2 weeks now. She has inquired about her salary, but her employer refuses to tell her anything. Is that legal?

I know, I personally don't understand it either. But, this is her first job [shockingly and a bit sad] and she was desperate for one, so I guess she didn't think things through.

I feel as though she probably isn't being as up front about this as she should be, but she did say she asked and he wouldn't divulge anything.

She said she will speak with the assistant manager today [as the manager isn't there during her shift?], and if she isn't able to get anything out of her, she's going to threaten to quit. I doubt she'd actually quit until she finds another, though.

But didn´t she sign a contract ? That´s just basic informations (title, job function, salary, working hours) that a work contract always contains !
When I was desperate for a job I did accept minimum wages, but at least I knew what I was getting myself into !

Very strange, I'd be worried that they could change the wages AFTER she worked a week or whatever. I've never heard of a place refusing to tell the employees what they're making, that's just nuts.