Legal copy vs. counterfeit?

nancy2001

Feb 15, 2010
My hobby is sewing, and I recently sewed a copy of the not-yet-released $4,400 Akris Ai handbag for my own personal use. A few of my sewing friends have asked for a copy of the pattern I drafted so they can sew handbags for their own personal use, too.

My handbag does not look exactly like the Akris bag, but it has some common design elements (the trapezoidal shape, the 60 degree turned down sides flaps, center front strap that connects the side flaps and satchel style handles).

I assume that Akris has most likely patented the handbag design. Would it be legal for me to share the pattern I drafted with my sewing friends? I am not planning to sell either the bag I made or the pattern I drafted.

Thank you for your advice.

Why would this lady have to bother asking a lawyer? She has said that the bag she has made does not exactly resemble the original bag. I have no idea what either bag looks like but I'm presuming the original is in leather (for $4000+). Maybe the OP's is in some sort of fabric or different material. Based on what I've read I'd say good luck, OP! I would just have gone ahead and done it without seking approval here. Doesn't sound dodgy to me.

i agree with heather. if it is different material and a slightly different design I don't think you should have anything to worry about, lots of bags look similar its the same with shoes i think you should be ok as long as its not an exact replica

The design itself is such a basic tote design (narrow top, wide bottom, snaps). There are other brands similar to this bag including my Presa satchel (the flaps fold 60deg down, and I can also tuck them inside the bag. The thing that makes the Ai bag is the ponyhair material and the Akris brandname. Unless you were working off the actual Akris pattern down to the ponyhair and brand labels, you're OK.

No one is going to come after you for sharing a pattern with a few friends, imo, especially if you aren't getting money from it.

...Even otherwise, imo you'd be ok legally. It is not an exact copy and is not purporting to be authentic.

I seriously doubt that a hobby craft version of an expensive commercially made designer bag requires anything at all legally. It would be as ridiculous as calling an attorney if you knitted a version of an Hermes picotin and offered friends your pattern. You are not doing it for trade purposes, it's not even that close in specifications if it's not the same materials or exact design--and nobody can copyright triangular angles in a bag shape per se. This is just private activity, I believe.

^^ exactly. Esp since you're not making any money off of this. As long as your friends don't publish the pattern on the internet or anything, I think you'll be fine.