Leaving Ebay and going to eCrater?

ivysun

Sep 21, 2006
I got a message from a ebay seller who I previously purchased from saying she is packing up and moving her store to eCrater. I check out the site (www.eCrater.com) on my own and find out it is a pretty good site for fixed listing. There is no listing fee, no final value fee, google checkout (2% charges) and paypal accepted. It seems like a great alternative to ebay after 9/16... Just want to see if any one here has already been selling there or planning to move there..

Please also feel free to post your thought about the site..

Nyria

Diggin TPF
O.G.
Aug 20, 2006
Alberta, Canada
I got a message from a ebay seller who I previously purchased from saying she is packing up and moving her store to eCrater. I check out the site (www.eCrater.com) on my own and find out it is a pretty good site for fixed listing. There is no listing fee, no final value fee, google checkout (2% charges) and paypal accepted. It seems like a great alternative to ebay after 9/16... Just want to see if any one here has already been selling there or planning to move there..

Please also feel free to post your thought about the site..

Cool - I wonder what kind of protection policies they have. I see they accept paypal but if you ran into trouble how helpful would the Ebay owned Paypal be? :confused1:

allie06nd

Mar 18, 2008
I just looked at the site, and it actually looks like a pretty good alternative to ebay. Not nearly as sketchy as something like iOffer.

ivysun

Sep 21, 2006
Cool - I wonder what kind of protection policies they have. I see they accept paypal but if you ran into trouble how helpful would the Ebay owned Paypal be? :confused1:
I think the protection is the same for sellers (where as long as you ship to confirmed address) but not as good for buyers. Here is a link to paypal about the seller's protection

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/w...orizedPaymentProtectionFAQs-outside#coverage3

Someone pls confirm this though.. as I am not 100% sure!

caarlyntryl

Fana des chausseurs
O.G.
Jul 7, 2008
United States / Italy
It looks good thus far, but I get the feeling that eCrater isn't ready for the amount of traffic that an evilBay alternative would require. I'll definitely give it a shot, though!

As for the Paypal question, I believe it would be alright. I've bought/sold in other forums/communities and PayPal will hold up their end of the bargain regardless of whether or not an idem was purchased through eBay.

ivysun

Sep 21, 2006
Here is the way I see it.. the site is pretty much free except the small 2% google checkout fee or 3% paypal fee only if you made a sale. So it is pretty much like the Market Place here, craigslist, or any other bag trading online groups etc. Except the advantage to eCrater is the site is a better organized... I guess the only challenges is how to get buyers to go there..

Possible solutions are:
1. Perhaps we can discuss about trusted eCarter sellers here just like how we discuss about ebay sellers.
2. Email all your previous buyers and let them know about it.

I think if everyone works together and does the two things above... eCrater would be a great sucess..

Bella

Earth to Bella
O.G.
Mar 22, 2006
hm, better organized to sell fakes? I took a look at the Balenciaga bags for sale and didn't want to look any further....

I personally would not sell on that site.

ivysun

Sep 21, 2006
hm, better organized to sell fakes? I took a look at the Balenciaga bags for sale and didn't want to look any further....

I personally would not sell on that site.
yeah.. i see that too.. that's why we need to know who are the trusted sellers.

d1000

Sep 15, 2007
so it has been around since fall 2004? there must be some user reviews about this site somewhere....

sailornep5

O.G.
Apr 9, 2006
SF Bay Area, CA
so it has been around since fall 2004? there must be some user reviews about this site somewhere....
Here's one:
http://www.auctioninsights.info/review-ecratercom-an-ebay-alternative-part-1.html

I'm not sure it's really like an alternative to Ebay as it's more a supplement to someone's business website or e-store. With Ebay, customers come looking for their items, whereas eCrater is kind of designed for you to drive your own traffic to your eCrater store. Maybe one day it'll become a true competitor...