leave it to OCD Girl...

monalethalfan

Jul 20, 2009
...to get a little overzealous. With good intentions, of course.

I wanted a mandarin minilisa. It didn't work out. So I decided to give my one-and-only Tano some TLC. And what did I do, despite my best efforts to follow directions and be gentle with the Lexol? I stripped some of the color off my mona lethal. Boo.

So. Because I love her so much and because I saw some amazing post-dye pics here, I decided to order some Tarrago and try my hand at it. Might be a mistake considering how my cleaning/conditioning went (!), but I'm gonna try.

I have a few questions, for those of you who've done this before:

- have you had trouble with color transfer?
- how does a Tarrago-dyed Tano wear over time? does it break down nice and supple?

Thanks ladies, as always!

While I wait for my Tarrago shipment, I will get huge amounts of vicarious satisfaction watching you reveal your gorgeous fall bags....

Well, I think I just overdid it in the places that were dirty - around the top opening and the zippers. Those spots are now slightly darkened and faded at the same time. Weird. I thought I was being gentle, but maybe not?

But...the good news - for all you non-OCD girl Tanoites out there - the rest of the bag that I cleaned and conditioned turned out beautifully. Supple and soft, with the color nice and rich again. The shine didn't come back, but it looks good.

Honestly, I think I didn't maintain my bag well. I think if I had sent in a pre-Lexol pic you all would have cried Tano Abuse! I used it every day for six months without doing a thing, and those high traffic areas suffered. If only I'd learned from you ladies sooner, I'd have Lexol'd or Lubriderm'd her all along!

Did you use the Lexol cleaner or conditioner, or both? I have only used the conditioner, not the cleaner.

LAB, I'd recommend you stay with that regimen!

I see now that MHB carries just the conditioner. I bet it works all by itself, and I bet the cleaner is too harsh for Tano. But my cute little old man cobbler in Brooklyn said I needed both, so...ah well, I guess I'll have the fun of dyeing a bag for the first time.

Would love to know how a Tarrago-dyed bag holds up over time, if anyone can tell me!

Oh no!!! I'm so sorry to hear this! This is seriously something I have nightmares about :lol: The dye, from what I understand cos I've never done it, is supposed to last....Please keep us posted!

Accordingly to Stormy Heart, the regimen for a used bag is clean, condition then protect. If you condition a bag without cleaning first, it sets the dirt - which you don't want to do.

Accordingly to Stormy Heart, the regimen for a used bag is clean, condition then protect. If you condition a bag without cleaning first, it sets the dirt - which you don't want to do.

Thanks! That's what my cobbler told me (and what the Lexol instructions told me) so that's what I did. The few spots that are discolored aren't really that obvious. But I wanted to restore her, not make it worse!

Ah, maybe it's the contrast of seeing all these brandy new gorgeous fall 09 reveals....maybe I just need to let go a bit and let mona be her beautiful broken-in well-used self!

^^ I think I may do the same with some of my babies.

I conditioned my Berry Blue Minilisa this week, and at first I was really upset that all of the awesomeness was gone; when that color breaks in it looks like light reflecting in a pool. :tender:

Most of it came back when it dried, but I think now I know to leave her alone & let her age naturally!

True! On some of my bags (well, most) I like them to break in naturally, but on a few (say, my Black Boogie) I like them better all lubed up and new looking.

I don't really like the DRY look though, so even if they're properly smooshy/broken in for me sometimes I condition them to make them look more intentionally worn, and less abused. :P

I guess that the color is the main factor for me more than the style when determining how much "wear" I prefer, because I like my Berry Blue Minilisa as she is, but when I saw my Truffle Minilisa in pics tonight I felt she looked a hot mess. That could also have something to do with the way the Minilisa has those bits of hidden leather on the sides though, so who knows? :shrugs: