Leave feedback for LV wallet w/ authenticity issues?

LuxLife84

LifeLove&Happiness
Sep 17, 2013
Hi everyone, I really need you guys opinion.

I recently purchased a LV Monogram Zippy wallet from Ebay. Seller was extremely kind, very commutative, wrapped the wallet wonderfully with a ribbon and sent a thank you note.

When I opened the wallet, I was pretty sure something was off...

I compared the dust bag and box to the LV bags and boxes in my own collection, and everything was off from the font, color of font, material type, color, etc.
So I thought ok maybe she just bought a fake dust bag and box because it seems buyers really want those things when they buy preloved, not that it matters much to me...
Then I compared the main zipper pull against my zipper pull on my Trevi and the weight, font, shape, and material was all of.
The datecode seemed like it was in the wrong location according to others I found on this forum and online. It said that the wallet was made the fourth week of 2013 in France and the sellers receipt said she purchased it Jan 28 2013, so I felt that was a bit odd as well, that she was able to purchase it the same week as it was being made in France. Her receipt was even off compared to all of mine, the font was different from all of my receipts.

But I wanted to go to the LV store to make absolute sure....I was really trying to give it the benefit of the doubt.

I took it to the LV store and compared it to another wallet of the same kind and it was obvious to me and the LV assoc that it was not authentic, it was even made differently at the ends and corners...could not get it heat stamped was their way of saying it was not their product.

I emailed the seller to send her the wallet back for a refund and while she said she was shocked and didn't carry fakes, that she would agree to the refund once I returned the wallet.

I made a claim with PP, sent the wallet back, received an email confirming the refund and during this entire process, she's been really nice and commutative.

She asked me to accept the cancellation request, which PP said not to until the money is back in my account.

My question is, should I leave her feedback stating the issues of the transaction or not? She was very nice and did everything in a timely manner, but I'm sure it was fake and I don't feel too good about if she tries to relist and sale to someone else as an authentic item.

Please let me know what you guys think...sorry for the long post.

TIA

Did you have it authenticated here with your own photos? LV SAs are not allowed to do authentications, and much of the time don't know what to look for; if the wallet was actually sent in to LV and they refused to do the heat stamping, that would be another thing.

As for feedback, I would probably wait to see if she relists it.

ETA: Hello to a fellow Michigander! :biggrin:

I reserve bad fb for the worst of the worst. She did everything to make you whole, so I would not penalize her. You can't mention the details of a dispute in fb. You have plenty of time to leave fb so no need to worry about it now. If it were me I would wait and see if she relists it.

You are between a rock & a hard place for sure.

I would want to be 100% positive that the item was indeed fake before I left
any negative feedback. It could be very damaging to a seller but yet you do want
to warn other potential buyers if it is indeed fake.

Have you had the wallet authenticated here on the forum? You mention the datecode
was in the wrong location according to others you had seen online & on the forum.
SA's from LV usually don't do authentications...

What other items does this seller sell?? LV?? What is the feedback like??

You can check to see if the seller has relisted the item...

You have 30 days I think to leave feedback..

The LV assoc did not do an authentication...the wallet was refused for heat stamping. I then got another wallet and compared the two, speaking to my SIL and the LV assoc just chimed in, giving her thoughts. I trust the LV assoc, she's been there for over 10 YEARS, she knows her stuff!

I did not have it authenticated here, but with it side by side with the one at the store and all of the discrepancies, it kinda seemed pointless...it was obvious it wasn't an LV

She had no feedback as she was a new seller, had just created an ebay account early Sept. I think...but I didn't necessary want to not buy from her as I've been a new buyer without feedback and ppl have refused to sell to me..

The signs were there, but I just really wanted it so badly....funny thing is, there are/were three other wallets with ALL the same discrepancies, all new members with no feedback that all popped up around the same time..

It was a good fake, but a fake nonetheless, I'm sure. The discrepancies weren't something you could or would necessarily spot via pics, but I have many LV pieces to compare to.

Did you have it authenticated here with your own photos? LV SAs are not allowed to do authentications, and much of the time don't know what to look for; if the wallet was actually sent in to LV and they refused to do the heat stamping, that would be another thing.

As for feedback, I would probably wait to see if she relists it.

ETA: Hello to a fellow Michigander! :biggrin:

Hi there! I was born and raised here...moved away for 11yrs and am now back!!!!

If she doesn't relist, I wouldn't leave any feedback. If she relists it, then she has earned a neg (IMO) because at that point, it's obvious that she doesn't care about ripping off a buyer.

I only leave negative if the seller was being a pain over a legit problem on their end.
I think in your case even if she relist, I may leave a neutral just to warn people

The LV assoc did not do an authentication...the wallet was refused for heat stamping. I then got another wallet and compared the two, speaking to my SIL and the LV assoc just chimed in, giving her thoughts. I trust the LV assoc, she's been there for over 10 YEARS, she knows her stuff!

I did not have it authenticated here, but with it side by side with the one at the store and all of the discrepancies, it kinda seemed pointless...it was obvious it wasn't an LV

She had no feedback as she was a new seller, had just created an ebay account early Sept. I think...but I didn't necessary want to not buy from her as I've been a new buyer without feedback and ppl have refused to sell to me..

The signs were there, but I just really wanted it so badly....funny thing is, there are/were three other wallets with ALL the same discrepancies, all new members with no feedback that all popped up around the same time..

It was a good fake, but a fake nonetheless, I'm sure. The discrepancies weren't something you could or would necessarily spot via pics, but I have many LV pieces to compare to.

Not to get too OT:

You still need to be VERY careful. There was recently an instance where someone had an MC Ursula, took it to a boutique and had an employee who had also been there over 10 years said it was authentic.

It was NOT. It was a good fake, but fake nonetheless.

I would not EVER trust a store to authenticate (those that will).

Not to get too OT:

You still need to be VERY careful. There was recently an instance where someone had an MC Ursula, took it to a boutique and had an employee who had also been there over 10 years said it was authentic.

It was NOT. It was a good fake, but fake nonetheless.

I would not EVER trust a store to authenticate (those that will).

It was not just her opinion.....ALL of the discrepancies that I listed above is what put the doubt in my mind..when I took it to the store and compared it to an actual wallet is what sealed the deal for me personally.

My question was more do I mention the wallet had authenticity issues in fb or not, since the seller did accept the return and was really nice through the entire process and maybe she truely doesnt know. Thanks to everyone for their advice!

Last edited:
I only leave negative if the seller was being a pain over a legit problem on their end.
I think in your case even if she relist, I may leave a neutral just to warn people

Thank you....this seems fair enough!

If the wallet gets to a point where someone determines (with certainty) that it's fake and if the seller relists, at that point, a neutral is not appropriate. The first time might have been an honest mistake. Once she relists, she knows what she's doing and should be given a neg.

Keep in mind that where authenticity is questioned, a professional authentication should be done before she even thinks about relisting.

I'll add that the seller willingly issuing a refund doesn't necessarily indicate honesty. There are many sellers who wouldn't know an authentic item if it bit them but they issue "no questions asked" refunds, thereby often avoiding negs and staying under ebay's and buyers' radar.

I'm not saying that this seller is doing that but explaining what can and does happen.

If the wallet gets to a point where someone determines (with certainty) that it's fake and if the seller relists, at that point, a neutral is not appropriate. The first time might have been an honest mistake. Once she relists, she knows what she's doing and should be given a neg.

Keep in mind that where authenticity is questioned, a professional authentication should be done before she even thinks about relisting.

I'll add that the seller willingly issuing a refund doesn't necessarily indicate honesty. There are many sellers who wouldn't know an authentic item if it bit them but they issue "no questions asked" refunds, thereby often avoiding negs and staying under ebay's and buyers' radar.

I'm not saying that this seller is doing that but explaining what can and does happen.

Thank you...that's what caused my hesitation...I didn't want to accuse of her anything because maybe she does not know and this could be an honest mistake, but I feel like if she relists after having read all of the discrepancies that were found, then she either knows its fake and just doesn't care or maybe she thinks all of the discrepancies mean nothing.

I guess at this point it's too late for me to have a professional service do the authenticating...the discrepancies I found were enough for me to feel very uncomfortable keeping it. Who knows, maybe she won't even relist and I'm just over anxious about it all...

Thanks!

And this is my first ebay purchase so I didn't know you specified pos, neut, or neg...I just thought you wrote a few details about the transaction and then ebay deemed it pos or neg...