Leather vs. Patent Leather: Which do you prefer? Why?

Which do you prefer: leather or patent leather?

• Leather

• Patent Leather

• Can't decide

• Like them equally as much

Results are only viewable after voting.

Orchid88

Jul 31, 2009
Calling all purse fanatics! :biggrin: Since the Peyton, Sabrina, and Zoe craze, I've always had a tough time choosing between the patent leather and leather for those and other styles.

What do you lovely ladies think?

1) Do you like patent leather or leather more?
2) What are the pros and cons for each?
3) Which do you own more of?

i was always a strictly leather coach person..... until recently. while leather is my favorite still, the patent zoes are wonderful! i wore my green one (with the little green and yellow patent frog keyfob/charm and it poured out and it was no worries! the bag got totally rained on and no stress. it was fun to carry. can't describe it. the leather zoes and sabrinas are simply gorgeous, but for fun and wet weather, i am totally loving the patent zoes. a great change of pace and the colors they come in , especially berry, green and dark coral just make me smile!

I was split between siggy and leather at the beginning and then preferred all leather. Now having bought a few patent Zoes, I cannot help but prefer it lately when the weather was unsettled and not have to worry about water spots on the leather.

When the weather gets much much colder, I will probably use my all leather bags instead because I fear the patent may crack under sub-zero temperatures. I really embrace the luscious sparkly play of light on the surface of the patent leather.

The only reason I tend to SHY away from the patent is because I seem to have this idea in my head that it won't fare well in ultra cold wheather, and I live in IOWA!!!

Otherwise, I'd have to say I'm about 60/40 over reg. leather over patent.

I only carry leather. No patent here. It always feels sticky to me for some reason. Plus, I just love a nice leather bag!

Same here! I always feel like my arms are going to stick to the patent bags, especially in the summertime.

I do love the berry zoe though, but just can't ever bring myself to buy one.

initially i preferred leather .. but then with all the patent colors on the Zoes came out ... i was leaning towards loving patent for the warm weather ...
(love them both though!)

Like you ladies, I own both. However, I only started buying patent leather about a year ago. Like New2Coach, I think the patent feels a bit sticky, especially during hot weather, but I totally agree with T-Girl and luvspurses that patent comes in handy during bad weather.

Thanks to the rest of you ladies for all your input also!

So now my question is, if anybody has an answer from experience: how does the patent hold up over time compared to the leather?

Does the patent film come off over time?

Does it stick to surfaces after a while?

What about discoloration/fading from exposure to sunlight? Does that happen to the patent?