Leather Surgeons- Cost and Expectations

I recently sent my bag into Leather Surgeons for a small repair. I purchased a preloved reissue from Fashionphile in excellent condition, but there was a small area where the leather was torn off a stitch. Leather Surgeons was able to fix the damage and I'm so pleased with the results! The whole process took about two weeks (sending the bag in, repair and receiving it). I highly recommend Leather Surgeons!

Before:
IMG_1483916937.616128.jpg

After:
IMG_1483916961.100673.jpg

I just got my caviar turquoise mini back from LS today and I'm pleased with their service.

I had gotten some color transfer on the back pocket of my mini and I wasn't able to clean it off. I brought it to a Chanel boutique, hoping to get it cleaned (I was okay paying for it), but they refused to take it in. [emoji53]

I had heard about LS on TPF so I decided to give them a try. I was able to get a quote and a shipping label from them within a day after contacting them. The whole process was smooth and it only took about 4 weeks (shipping + repairing time).

Here are some before and after pictures. The color transfer was actually a lot worse IRL than in the pictures.

Before:

IMG_1485383172.321843.jpg
IMG_1485383188.528914.jpg
IMG_1485383201.592907.jpg

After:

IMG_1485383214.431437.jpg

As you can see, about 98% of the color transfer was removed. You can still see very, very little blue dye in a few spots, but it's barely noticeable (probably not at all in the picture). It costed $235 (shipping is included) to get my bag cleaned by them.

I just got my caviar turquoise mini back from LS today and I'm pleased with their service.

I had gotten some color transfer on the back pocket of my mini and I wasn't able to clean it off. I brought it to a Chanel boutique, hoping to get it cleaned (I was okay paying for it), but they refused to take it in. [emoji53]

I had heard about LS on TPF so I decided to give them a try. I was able to get a quote and a shipping label from them within a day after contacting them. The whole process was smooth and it only took about 4 weeks (shipping + repairing time).

Here are some before and after pictures. The color transfer was actually a lot worse IRL than in the pictures.

Before:

View attachment 3585585
View attachment 3585586
View attachment 3585587

After:

View attachment 3585589

As you can see, about 98% of the color transfer was removed. You can still see very, very little blue dye in a few spots, but it's barely noticeable (probably not at all in the picture). It costed $235 (shipping is included) to get my bag cleaned by them.
looks great!! Its such a shame that this bag is less than a year old and CHANEL wouldn't take it back to repair :sad:

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but if the bag is less than 1 year old Chanel should refurbish it?

looks great!! Its such a shame that this bag is less than a year old and CHANEL wouldn't take it back to repair :sad:

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but if the bag is less than 1 year old Chanel should refurbish it?
color transfer is not a 'repair.' that's considered normal use/abuse by the owner. in most cases removing color transfer is extremely difficult (or impossible) and results in a different feel to the leather. i'm not sure that any brand will take in a bag where color transfer has occurred. some very lucky people have had success getting LV to exchange vernis pieces but that's rare. color transfer is not a manufacturing fault the company is obligated to fix.

Thank you! [emoji4] I'm just glad that they were able to fix it. I just sprayed some Cadillac stain repellent on it so hopefully color transfer won't occur again. Lesson learned!

color transfer is not a 'repair.' that's considered normal use/abuse by the owner. in most cases removing color transfer is extremely difficult (or impossible) and results in a different feel to the leather. i'm not sure that any brand will take in a bag where color transfer has occurred. some very lucky people have had success getting LV to exchange vernis pieces but that's rare. color transfer is not a manufacturing fault the company is obligated to fix.

I asked my lovely boutique SA (she works at a different boutique) about this afterwards and she said the same thing. Unfortunately, they do not touch anything that has been color transferred.

Thank goodness for LS!!! [emoji13][emoji177]

Reactions: ccbaggirl89

Before:

View attachment 3585585
View attachment 3585586
View attachment 3585587

After:

View attachment 3585589

Oh no! From what did you get this color trasnfer?

you have so many nice chanel bags i was surprised to see this happen to you! would have figured you'd know better!! glad they fixed it though, the turquoise is beautiful:heart:

Thank you!! I know, I totally overlooked this time. [emoji52] I thought my bags were safe from my jeans because I haven't had any color transfer on my other bags (not even on my light beige WOC). Not sure why it happened to the turquoise mini. [emoji53][emoji848]

My SA told me that it could be because of the "extra shiny coating". It makes it almost like patent leather, which is more prone to color transfer. I don't own any patent leather bags so I wouldn't know.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
oh i see! I learned something new. Thanks for the info :smile: