Leather Strap Replacement Question

miyake0214

earthling
O.G.
Dec 16, 2009
trekking the face of the earth
Hello Ladies, I tried to search the forum before posting this to avoid redundancy but to no avail. If it has been discussed before, kindly direct me to that link.

Anyway, have you had your leather strap replaced? My vintage flap and accordion require a new strap intertwined with the chain link because both of them are in miserable condition.

Please share with me your experience or your input.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

jmen

O.G.
Jan 15, 2007
Years ago Chanel replaced chains that had tarnished. It's the whole chain w/leather that got replaced.

I had a black bucket purse with really long chains that I carried non-stop for several years. The black faded so off to spa it went. When it came back, it looked brand spanking new; the chains had been replaced with slightly shorter ones because there were none available to match the original length. (Frankly, had they not told me I wouldn't have noticed. The difference was not that great or big a deal.)

But that was then and this is now and with all the changes, I would hope chain replacement remains on the menu.

miyake0214

earthling
O.G.
Dec 16, 2009
Years ago Chanel replaced chains that had tarnished. It's the whole chain w/leather that got replaced.

I had a black bucket purse with really long chains that I carried non-stop for several years. The black faded so off to spa it went. When it came back, it looked brand spanking new; the chains had been replaced with slightly shorter ones because there were none available to match the original length. (Frankly, had they not told me I wouldn't have noticed. The difference was not that great or big a deal.)

But that was then and this is now and with all the changes, I would hope chain replacement remains on the menu.
Hi Jmen.. thanks for your reply. The chain is in good condition. The vintage browns' leather strap shows so much tear and wear. The accordion is missing the leather totally as I cut them off because of it's nasty appearance when I received it from a reseller.

Do you think they will replace the whole thing? thanks so much Jmen:hugs:

Mimster

Jul 20, 2009
I asked this questioned a while back and my SA told me that they will replace the chain and leather strip. She also warned that the leather strip may not colour match with the rest of the bag as it was a vintage red bag. I think she estimated it to be about $200 to replace it.

can you get a cobbler to clean and freshen up the leather strip? I would assume that it is cheaper and faster to get it repaired than to send it to Chanel.

Last edited:

miyake0214

earthling
O.G.
Dec 16, 2009
I asked this questioned a while back and my SA told me that they will replace the chain and leather strip. She also warned that the leather strip may not colour match with the rest of the bag as it was a vintage red bag. I think she estimated it to be about $200 to replace it.

can you get a cobbler to clean and freshen up the leather strip? I would assume that it is cheaper and faster to get it repaired than to send it to Chanel.
Hi Mimster. Pardon my ignorance. But what is a cobbler? Is this something I can buy online? thanks so much.:smile:

Mimster

Jul 20, 2009
Shoe repair person. Make sure you find one who is experienced in cleaning delicate leather or luxury items.

Last edited:

jmen

O.G.
Jan 15, 2007
It would be a painstaking process just to clean the leather because it is interwoven. Tis best, imho, to replace the assembly. However, the exception to THAT thought was the Mobile "Fart" purse, red patent, that eventually went to Paris for new leather strap.

There are spare hardware and straps in the repair centers that should match your purse, in which case the repair/replacement would take 6 to 8 weeks.

miyake0214

earthling
O.G.
Dec 16, 2009
It would be a painstaking process just to clean the leather because it is interwoven. Tis best, imho, to replace the assembly. However, the exception to THAT thought was the Mobile "Fart" purse, red patent, that eventually went to Paris for new leather strap.

There are spare hardware and straps in the repair centers that should match your purse, in which case the repair/replacement would take 6 to 8 weeks.
Mimster and.. Jmen:flowers: