Leather Smells

Croissant

Detective Hermès!
O.G.
Jul 7, 2006
hi all,
I notice my 2013 Chanel caviar jumbo smells less "sweet" than my Chanel 2007 caviar east/west flap and my 2006 Chanel lamb skin medium flap. In fact, it smells a little bland...not like chemical but not very fragrant if that makes any sense) And my Hermes Birkin (2006) also smells different than my other leather bags (it's the most fragrant leather bag I own, I can smell it from a distance when I open the box)
I guess my question is do leathers typically smell different? If so, why? I feel like with coats and shoes I am struck by the leather smell- I recognize right away that I'm smelling leather. With bags it seems they are all different and not quite as fragrant. What gives? Anyone experience this?

PurseCrazyGal

Miss_Marlena
O.G.
Jan 9, 2008
Planet Marlena
I think a little. Some are stronger than others. Prolly depends on the quality?
I noticed a few yrs back that my black patent Coach & Chanel smelled very similar in the warm weather. Go figure!

twin-fun

O.G.
Mar 27, 2006
Not where I'd like to be
hi all,
I notice my 2013 Chanel caviar jumbo smells less "sweet" than my Chanel 2007 caviar east/west flap and my 2006 Chanel lamb skin medium flap. In fact, it smells a little bland...not like chemical but not very fragrant if that makes any sense) And my Hermes Birkin (2006) also smells different than my other leather bags (it's the most fragrant leather bag I own, I can smell it from a distance when I open the box)
I guess my question is do leathers typically smell different? If so, why? I feel like with coats and shoes I am struck by the leather smell- I recognize right away that I'm smelling leather. With bags it seems they are all different and not quite as fragrant. What gives? Anyone experience this?
There are many steps in treating a leather hide. You need to preserve the hide so it does not start to rot, like it naturally would. You also break down the fibers a bit so it is not really stiff. All the dyes, treatments, leather bathes and chemicals most leather goes through all have their own smell.

Because all these liquids soak into the hide, they leave their own smell, mixing in with the leather smell. So some leather may smell stronger than others, depending on how it was treated. Some leather has almost no smell at all, while others always seem to have a strong odor. Leather also breathes, and always is letting out a little bit of the animal hide smell.

Reactions: Croissant