Leather question, why does coach even offer ...

katev

"The Bag Whisperer!"
O.G.
Dec 18, 2009
... leather care products that cannot be used on their finest leather bags?! :confused1:

I have a vintage leather Ergo, and a legacy leather Bridgit, and a garcia leather embellished Sophia. The care cards for all three of these bags talk about how great and special the leather is and then warn against using any Coach leather care products!

I'm almost certain that they also warn against using their products on the embossed croc bags, metallic leather bags, and some of their other bags, too.

This is not a problem for me because I don't own any Coach leather care products and I use silicone-free products like Apple conditioner. I do have a bottle of Coach jacquard fabric cleaner and I have found that it works well in cleaning fabric bags.

But I have to wonder why in the world do they even bother selling products that aren't good for so many of their bags? Including some of their premier leather products!

This isn't just odd, it is inconvenient and even risky. Every single time I've questioned a SA at the outlet about a blemish or stray mark on a bag he/she immediately grabs for the Coach leather conditioner and prepares to slather it all over the bag! I always stop them and insist that they check the care card first and in most cases the card says NOT to use coach products!

The SAs always say the same thing "Oh that doesn't matter, it doesn't hurt anything!" At that point, if I really want to buy the bag, I take it out of their hands and say "That's okay, I'll take care of it, I have some leather care products at home."

But I've got to wonder why Coach doesn't sell a more universal, silicone-free and wax-free product that will work for most of their bags? :shrugs:

It's a puzzle! :wondering

It's always been a pet peeve of mine! One time I called customer service to ask if I could use leather cleaner on a particular bag. The rep said yes. About 3 minutes later I get a phone call-it was from Coach! Someone had overheard the conversation and told her she was wrong. Since we are calling a toll free number, they have access to our phone number even if it's blocked. She was very apologetic and I was very grateful that I hadn't started using the cleaner yet!

It's always been a pet peeve of mine! One time I called customer service to ask if I could use leather cleaner on a particular bag. The rep said yes. About 3 minutes later I get a phone call-it was from Coach! Someone had overheard the conversation and told her she was wrong. Since we are calling a toll free number, they have access to our phone number even if it's blocked. She was very apologetic and I was very grateful that I hadn't started using the cleaner yet!

It was lucky they called you back! So it is not just the outlet SAs that are confused, even their own customer service staff can give misinformation. They should stop selling that useless stuff!

The other day I slathered a non-Coach brand conditioner on my Sophia and it didn't hurt it at all. Not that it needed it but it was still a little stiff from being new and wanted to soften it up, which it did, but I think it was more from handling it during conditioning than anything LOL. These new care cards are a mystery to me too as they seem to come with a lot of regular leather bags now. I think the leather especially on the Sophia is great now that I've experienced it for a few weeks. I have the bone leather and somehow we got a little chocolate on it around easter (I swear it flew from across the room onto my bag!), and I took a damp cloth to it and came out pefect, no water ring, stain or anything. So I don't understand why my care card says it's "delicate". I just bought some Apple conditioner this morning because everyone raves about it here, so I can't wait to try.

I agree it's annoying and a bit stupid, but what can you do? Coach should come out with a better product, if they did they could sell a lot more leather care products and not risk people messing up their bags.

I agree it's annoying and a bit stupid, but what can you do? Coach should come out with a better product, if they did they could sell a lot more leather care products and not risk people messing up their bags.

My theory is that they originally sold that conditioner for their earlier "made is USA" and "made in NYC" leather bags. The leather on those bags is so thick and tough it is almost indestructible!

Over the years, as they have started using thinner and more delicate leathers, they've found that their old conditioner isn't a good choice for the newer bags, but they just keep selling it anyway. Go figure!

I was behind someone in line at the outlet recently and she was "stocking up" on bottles of the Coach leather cleaner. I wanted to say don't buy that, you can't use it on half their bags. But I was too embarrassed to insert myself in her transaction. The SA gladly sold her 3 or 4 bottles, a "deal" because of the 30% off.

I was at a Crafts Festival today and chatted with a leathersmith. I bought a beautiful wristlet from him and I was asking him about care. He said "APPLE" right away.
I told him I had some LEXOL and he explained to me how APPLE is different and better.

ALSO--- GET THIS!! I was telling him about the flea-market-find classic COACH I am rehabbing and he said, "You know that COACH brand leather care stuff? IT'S APPLE!"
:weird:

I was at a Crafts Festival today and chatted with a leathersmith. I bought a beautiful wristlet from him and I was asking him about care. He said "APPLE" right away.
I told him I had some LEXOL and he explained to me how APPLE is different and better.

ALSO--- GET THIS!! I was telling him about the flea-market-find classic COACH I am rehabbing and he said, "You know that COACH brand leather care stuff? IT'S APPLE!"

Seriously!

I was behind someone in line at the outlet recently and she was "stocking up" on bottles of the Coach leather cleaner. I wanted to say don't buy that, you can't use it on half their bags. But I was too embarrassed to insert myself in her transaction. The SA gladly sold her 3 or 4 bottles, a "deal" because of the 30% off.

Im sure they had already discussed with another sales associate about the leather of their bags. No one at Coach is going to lie to you to make a sale. By the way, the 30 percent off IS a good deal on the coach cleaner if you want to buy it

My understanding is that the Coach mosturizer contains silicone but that Apple doesn't, does anyone know if that is true?
I don't know if I believe that. Apple and the Coach moisturizer both have different "smells" and I find they work differently into the leather as well.

Im sure they had already discussed with another sales associate about the leather of their bags. No one at Coach is going to lie to you to make a sale. By the way, the 30 percent off IS a good deal on the coach cleaner if you want to buy it

Just to clarify, I never said any associate lied to her. But it does seem odd to stock up on a product that shouldn't be used on many, dare I say, most Coach, that's out there being sold right now.