leather question - natural sable

footlocker

O.G.
Mar 25, 2010
Hi all,

I was visiting Hermes boutique with a view to buying a barenia wallet to my DH for his birthday. I am a big fan of barenia. Buying a barenia wallet to DH can make DH happy and at the same time I can sniff the 'eau de barenia'. Isn't it too good to kill two birds with one stone?:P

However, things are not going as planned. The store does not have any barenia wallet. As the SA knows I am fond of barenia (she does not know my interest in the eau de barenia though), she recommends me natural sable. She said this leather is very similar to barenia. I touched the leather and it is buttery soft, even softer than barenia. It smells good but not the intoxicating barenia smell.

My question is: will natural sable develop a patina like barenia does? will natural sable changes its colour over use? how well it ages over time? Please share your experience.

Could you please show me pictures of your natural sable items, be it new or aged?

Much thanks.

Natural Sable is a color, not a leather. I have seen Natural Sable in Vache Hunter, but I doubt that was used for a wallet. We would need to know the leather in order to let you know about any patina possibilities. But, nothing ages quite like Barenia. Did you inquire about the Evelyne style wallet? It has the perforated H and should be available in Fauve Barenia.

yes, thought sable is a color, not a leather.

tadelakt is being touted as the new box by Hermes (at least according to my SA) although it is being used mostly in small item bags, such as Jige. i have not seen any mens SLG in tadelakt.

agree that most likely, it is evercalf which is the most likely leather used for mens SLG.

I have just received a natural sable leather CDC and it is like untreated leather, sort of like barenia only not. It smells heavenly and I think it will patina like barenia. It is a o in square stamp. It is remarkable and I will post photos. I think this must be what leather
footlocker's SA was talking about.

I have just received a natural sable leather CDC and it is like untreated leather, sort of like barenia only not. It smells heavenly and I think it will patina like barenia. It is a o in square stamp. It is remarkable and I will post photos. I think this must be what leather

Thanks TankerToad. I think there is a leather called Natural Sable now. The color is lighter than barenia (more like beige, as far as I can remember). Would love to see pictures of your CDC.

Is it possible that you also provide description on your CDC stated in the receipt?

Would love to see, TT! :smile:

I have seen the CDC in Natural Sable and the leather is actually Vache Bride, if I am not mistaken, very similar to Vache Naturel, but with a rougher hand. It is gorgeous, but nothing like Barenia IMHO. It will patina, but it is a slow process to become the golden tan of Barenia.

I have seen the CDC in Natural Sable and the leather is actually Vache Bride, if I am not mistaken, very similar to Vache Naturel, but with a rougher hand. It is gorgeous, but nothing like Barenia IMHO. It will patina, but it is a slow process to become the golden tan of Barenia.

Great to know! Thank you!

Yes, like Barenia in only that it has a strong and wonderful leather smell, but not in color or smoothness. The color is nothing like Vache Natural though. It is more like raw leather, rougher hand is correct and even rubbing your finger on it affects it to some extent. I promise pictures. Soon as I can. My tag said Cuire Naturel Sable.