Leather quality question

a-s

May 3, 2020
Hi all, I just got my first Balenciaga bag (City S) and was wondering about the leather. I have seen Bal lovers rave about how much they love the leather which is why I wanted one but my first impression is that it is kind of plasticy and quite stiff some places. The handles squeak when I move them and the shoulder pad on the strap is a bit difficult to adjust. It also has a strong smell, whereas my other leather bags smell nice. The zippers are stiff also. Overall does not feel very luxurious. I know this bag is supposed to soften up with use but is this normal at the start? (BTW I did have this bag authenticated.)

Reactions: Namwan-
I have owned several different Balenciaga bags over the years and plasticky is not how I would describe any of the leather I've experienced, even when the leather felt dry. Is it possible that your bag has been redyed, which makes the leather stiffer?

You have a new Balenciaga (i saw your post in 'Auth this' thread) and new bags are coated, to add to leather durability and prevent from fading, it will smooth and soften up after some time, when you use it regularly.
the shoulder pad drives me nutts on every Bal bag, i have reg size City, mini City, Firsts, they are equally annoying on all, i just push it back and wear it by the bare strap, this way it sits on the shoulder better.

I have owned several different Balenciaga bags over the years and plasticky is not how I would describe any of the leather I've experienced, even when the leather felt dry. Is it possible that your bag has been redyed, which makes the leather stiffer?
It’s not redyed, according to seller it’s like new. It doesn’t feel dry but when handling the bag it is very squeaky/noisy so there was my concern...hopefully it goes away.

You have a new Balenciaga (i saw your post in 'Auth this' thread) and new bags are coated, to add to leather durability and prevent from fading, it will smooth and soften up after some time, when you use it regularly.
the shoulder pad drives me nutts on every Bal bag, i have reg size City, mini City, Firsts, they are equally annoying on all, i just push it back and wear it by the bare strap, this way it sits on the shoulder better.
I’ll see how it goes then. It is just stressing me out feeling underwhelmed about a bag that I had been wanting for a while and that I paid so much for.

It’s not redyed, according to seller it’s like new. It doesn’t feel dry but when handling the bag it is very squeaky/noisy so there was my concern...hopefully it goes away.

I’ll see how it goes then. It is just stressing me out feeling underwhelmed about a bag that I had been wanting for a while and that I paid so much for.
You could go for a metallic edge City small, it's chevre rather than agneau which in my mind is a nicer leather.
fullsizeoutput_11d3.jpeg

I do like the look of this! Probably worth going in store to compare which I should’ve done but corona had me impatient...
While there is good agneau a lot of the leather Bal lovers rave about is the old chèvre from the early 2000s. The more current chèvre is lovely as well and Bal’s calfskin is great but only made in certain styles. No matter which leather they all get better with age IMO!