Leather quality - BV vs Hermes

hermes40

O.G.
Feb 16, 2007
Greetings ladies and gents:

Hope this is not a cheeky question to ask... But How good would the leather being used at Bottega Veneta compared to let's say Hermes and Loewe?
Personally I think it really depends on the product itself, just curious what your views are sicne there is always the view that Hermes use better leather than BV or Loewe.

h is a 10 and bottega a 8 to 9

bottega has some very soft fantastic skins but nothing beats the variety that h offers! plus the exotics h does are ubeatable hand down

in the end it is personal prefference as bottega has overall a different aesthetic than hermès

I feel that Hermes is finer in quality and follow up service/durability. The designs of each house are very different. Both are heavier than other brands. I prefer the clean lines of an Hermes over the weaved BV.

Don't know if it's true, but I once read that both Hermes and BV buy their leathers from the same source and they are the only 2 customers of that supplier. Unfortunately I can't recall the source, and it may not be true anyway.

Even if they start with the same quality, much depends on what the maker does with the skins once they start to treat/dye/assemble a bag. I have mostly BV, but also a few H items and love them all.

If we are talking about the weave bags, then H wins hands down for sure. The weave bags need only a long strip of leather to look good individually, the other imperfections can be thrown away. I have a veneta, and after creasing the leather doesn't look good. But it is very light and comfy. The H bag needs the whole large piece of leather to be perfect in order to make the front and back of the bag which is much more difficult to achieve.

Don't know if it's true, but I once read that both Hermes and BV buy their leathers from the same source and they are the only 2 customers of that supplier. Unfortunately I can't recall the source, and it may not be true anyway.

Even if they start with the same quality, much depends on what the maker does with the skins once they start to treat/dye/assemble a bag. I have mostly BV, but also a few H items and love them all.
boxermom- i heard the same thing about the leather.
i love my h bags but i still love my cabats.
they're both beautiful imho.

Last edited:
I actually think the leather quality is comparable between BV and H. I love BV, personally, but there just isn't the range, color-wise and leather-wise, for me to get addicted to BV shopping. With H, there are always new things to obsess over.

And with the weave... I know nothing more luxuriously touchable than my BV Sloane, so buttery soft, so light and pillowy against my skin. :yes:

I like them both. BV has very interesting earth tone colors. I think the designer for BV has more creative freedom to come up with unique and beautiful designs each season. It's how BV manipulates the leather to form a unique leather surface on their bags that amazes me. I also like how BV looks very relaxed and under the radar.

Funny you should say that Boxermom (hi! btw, long time no see:heart:). I just returned from Florence, where they have the Scuola di Cuoio or Leather School, in the Church of Santa Croce. They had walls of the most gorgeous bags, and everyone style was represented (H, BV, LV Epi, to name a few) and these were bags that the craftsmen had made and the skills they teach at that school. Would not surprise me in the least if these were the masters that the design houses recruited from. I handled some (yummmm) and they were heavenly.

It was odd, I kept having a chicken/egg feeling, knowing that the bags were branded by the Leather School, but not feeling like they were "knock-offs" but more who was inspiring who? Good thing (!) the exchange rate was SOOO bad, I didn't bring one of those bags home :crybaby:

Personally, I love H for the color, and BV for the wonders of the weave!

I read the same thing as Boxermom somewhere, and like lilach said, the aesthetic is totally different. The venetas are incredibly light and that makes a nice break from birkin elbow. I love them both too!

loewe is just way way too heavy for me.

Like cosmetics, leather comes from a select few places, and they're all going to be VERY close in quality if they're not coming from the same tannery to begin with. Hermes' cashmere comes from the same place that supplies much of the higher-end brands around the world, ditto for silk, their jewelry is outsourced...and so on and so forth.

There aren't nearly as many distinct manufacturers as we think. Every year when certain colors are declared to be "in," we think it's all about the designer, but it's really what the mills are producing for that season so options aren't endless unless they go custom, and design houses can rarely afford to do that.

Sometimes I think my fashion and retailing courses were the most valuable I've ever taken.

For me BV feels more fragile (maybe that it wouldn't last several years) I would say, Hermes feels more sturdy and resistant yet delicate to the touch and gorgeous

That's the paradox of the very best quality items. They may seem fragile, but actually hold up very well. Recently I admired a lady's BV in a store, and she said it was over 20 years old! It looked new.

I know Hermes also will last a long,long time with good care. Hermes does feel more sturdy and is probably more structured than most BV's.

Funny you should say that Boxermom (hi! btw, long time no see:heart:). I just returned from Florence, where they have the Scuola di Cuoio or Leather School, in the Church of Santa Croce. They had walls of the most gorgeous bags, and everyone style was represented (H, BV, LV Epi, to name a few) and these were bags that the craftsmen had made and the skills they teach at that school. Would not surprise me in the least if these were the masters that the design houses recruited from. I handled some (yummmm) and they were heavenly.

It was odd, I kept having a chicken/egg feeling, knowing that the bags were branded by the Leather School, but not feeling like they were "knock-offs" but more who was inspiring who? Good thing (!) the exchange rate was SOOO bad, I didn't bring one of those bags home :crybaby:

Personally, I love H for the color, and BV for the wonders of the weave!

Hi there, Brennamom! That must have been an amazing experience.:drool: