Leather name acronym dictionary?

CrazyLV

Gotta love or hate bags!! ^_-
O.G.
Oct 29, 2006
Hi gal and gents,

I am trying understanding about Balenciaga world, yep still newbie but struggling understanding TPFer and ebay listing talkng about Balenciaga words!!

I am hoping you all helping me to understanding about Balenciaga leather and ensure that we are same ONE language despite I know my LV which is easy!!

"Q. What is the best kind of leather?
Tricky question... it all boils down to personal preference. Some common terms are squishy, buttery, veiny, distressed, dry, smooshy, slouchy, and chewy. The way I see it, it really comes down to the touch – when you touch the bag, does it make you happy? "
as per this thread at http://forum.purseblog.com/balencia...d-me-first-balenciaga-basics-faqs-415607.html

Actually I can't imagine what's mean squishy, buttery, veiny, smooshy, slouchy and chewy without touch maybe based from photo on ebay?

please correct me if I am wrong that;
- squishy & slouchy = broken in = distressed on leather
- buttery & smooshy & chewy = very smooth on leather
- veiny = like felt wrinkle on leather
- warming = is it mean darkening on handle straps or leather on handle straps are stretching(loosen)?
- sticky = is it mean something surface leather is sticky not like darkening colour or new before on handle straps?

also how do you know if you touch body bag's leather to difference thick or thin leather?

because I have city and mini coin purse, are same leathers but don't know which belong thin or thick?

I would be appreciate if you could provide your photo an example with its description?!?

TIA heaps :heart:

I am happy to add the leather "definitions" and pics/link to pics in the Welcome to Bal thread if members can help post here. :smile:

I think all those words are subjective. They may vary in everyone's dictionary. I personally would think:

squishy & slouchy = broken in = softened leather
buttery & smooshy & chewy = very smooth on leather, and implying the leather is thick and soft
veiny = like felt wrinkle on leather but not in a good way. It is implying the leather is dry and there are while lines among the wrinkles.
distressed = wrinkles on the leather but not veiny

There definitely have no definition on those words. Those are just how they are shown in my dictionary. :biggrin:

Here are copies photos from eBay sellers, I am not talking about its year production only about the leather definition based on those photos

From based their description comments are very tricky definition are;
- "very wrinkly (distressed) with lots of marbling" and
- "very wrinkly and lots of distressing",
from their photos provided looks like a bit different only different words!!

at moment, those are 'visual' photos description and definition
I am still searching find out about 'touch and feel' regarding pillowy soft, thick, chewy leather, super soft, dry, smooth, sticky etc...

I am happy if you all can help me to add in here :smile:

Last edited:
  • Leather is very wrinkly (distressed) with lots of marbling.
  • wrinkly with lots of distressing and marbaling.

bbag9h.jpg bbag9i.jpg
bbag26e.jpg bbag26h.jpg
bbag29e.jpg

Last edited:
:borg1: this is required good eyes catching the precise surface leather as per description :borg:

"This bag have smoother leather on the front center and wrinkly leather on the side. "

bbag18o.jpg bbag18p.jpg

* not based from flash camera *
  • Leather is very shiny and very wrinkly (distressed) with lots of marbling.
  • The leather is glossy..... Leather is very wrinkly (distressed) with lots of marbling.
  • ... glossy leather. Wrinkly with lots of distressing and marbaling
  • The leather is glossy ..... Leather is very wrinkly (distressed) with lots of marbling.

bbag9c.jpg bbag9d.jpg bbag26f.jpg

Last edited:
* not based from flash camera *

• Leather is very shiny and very wrinkly (distressed) with lots of marbling.
  • The leather is glossy..... Leather is very wrinkly (distressed) with lots of marbling.
  • ... glossy leather. Wrinkly with lots of distressing and marbaling
  • The leather is glossy ..... Leather is very wrinkly (distressed) with lots of marbling.

bbag27a.jpg bbag27e.jpg
bbag33c.jpg bbag33e.jpg

Last edited: