Leather jacket alterations? Is it possible?

Maed

May 27, 2019
Hi Ladies!

I recently managed to get my dream leather jacket, which is the Burberry Brit leather biker jacket. It's in my size UK 6 but the sleeves are way too long since I'm short.

Does anyone have any experience with getting their leather jacket altered? Is it even possible with this type of jacket since it has quilting and zippers? (I guess a leatherworker could shorten it from the shoulder seam and move the quilts? Not sure.)

I've contacted a few tailors for a quote but they're closed because of the lockdowns. Just wanted to see the opinion of other people who may have gone through the same thing.

45921cf77db6bdfe89f2ed6f3041da6a.jpg

I’ve had Burberry leather trench coat sleeves shortened, but that was an easy hem and movement of the strap detail. Your jacket is gorgeous, but I worry if you shorten from the shoulder or the bottom of the sleeve you are going to loose some of that beautiful quilting and have issues with moving the zipper up, Is it possible for you to try wearing a few times with the cuffs partially unzipped and turned up?

I’ve had Burberry leather trench coat sleeves shortened, but that was an easy hem and movement of the strap detail. Your jacket is gorgeous, but I worry if you shorten from the shoulder or the bottom of the sleeve you are going to loose some of that beautiful quilting and have issues with moving the zipper up, Is it possible for you to try wearing a few times with the cuffs partially unzipped and turned up?

That is what I'm worried about but I was hoping that maybe they could move the quilting near the shoulders downwards if they put they shorten from the shoulders. Haha I'm not actually sure if that's doable since I'm not a leatherworker.

The cuffs have two zips so it's a bit awkward to try and turn them up.

I might have to wait for stores to open up again after lockdown so I can talk with the leatherworker directly. Fingers crossed it can be altered!

• Love
Reactions: 880
Amazing jacket!!!

It won't be possible from the top and keep the same look, and I think you may be upset with the results of you do. Alteration places are not like an atelier.

You could shorten from the cuffs and they'd have to move the zip up, but you'd lose some quilting and the proportions of the sleeve

My recommendation is to wear the jacket as is, leaving the zips undone (I do this with a red Versace leather jacket). The extra leather will just look like hand-guards - cool.

Reactions: Maed and 880
I had my leather jacket altered for the too-long sleeves at a regular alterations place. They did it from the shoulder and it came out great. But with the details on yours IDK.

Reactions: Maed
Amazing jacket!!!

It won't be possible from the top and keep the same look, and I think you may be upset with the results of you do. Alteration places are not like an atelier.

You could shorten from the cuffs and they'd have to move the zip up, but you'd lose some quilting and the proportions of the sleeve

My recommendation is to wear the jacket as is, leaving the zips undone (I do this with a red Versace leather jacket). The extra leather will just look like hand-guards - cool.

+1.. I'd also bring it to your Burberry shop for them to do the alterations if it can be done
I would not fool around with any local tailor unless they are exceptional...

Reactions: Maed and papertiger
Hey everyone, sorry just logged on now.

Well, with a stricter lockdown in Victoria, Australia, I can't really go anywhere at the moment. I've been in contact with a leather work shop that does a lot of designer brand alterations and will schedule an appointment once it's safe to do so. They said it does look complicated from the photos but I'll come in person to discuss what can be done and see mock ups for ideas on how to alter the jacket :biggrin:

I haven't seen a Burberry boutique near my area I think the closest might be an hour and a half away? But if I get desperate I might try Burberry directly.

Thanks ladies!