Leather Honey Conditioner/Moisturizer

Yesterday I applied some LH on the handles of my Coquelicot City which appeared somewhat dry. I dropped some LH accidentally on the front zipper. While wiping it off, I didn't notice an even bigger glob on the handle.

When I saw the LH on the handle, it was already too late. It left a watermark on the handle. The mark became less obvious a few hours later, but still looks darker than the baseline. It looks to me more like handle darkening from use than a wet mark, but strangely only appears at the spot of excess LH. I was wondering whether the dark spot has already been there, and was just accentuated by LH.

And this is the bag's bottom today, about a month after LH treatment.

View attachment 2922196

I want to note the a spot on the upper- right hand side. This spot was already on the bag pre-LH treatment, but the product made it darker, so this is a perfect example of LH making some spots or previously hidden flaws pop up on light-colored Bals.

I'm so happy this thread is here... I'm getting my first ink tomorrow... had been looking and not finding in the styles I prefer (day, city) so when I saw an ink day I jumped on it even though it looks to be in VERRRY well loved condition (so if you know of a pristine ink or city out there please don't tell me! LOL) First thing I did after ordering was go to amazon & order LH because I can tell the bag is dry. This thread gives me hope that I can revive her back to her gorgy 2006 glory... or something close. Will try to post pics.... Is it just me, or is ink really hard to find? Maybe it's just bc I was looking for it that it was so elusive.... I'm afraid I'll wake up tomorrow and find five mint Citys for sale all over the place!!

I have scanned over some of the more recent posts. The bags that may have turned out splotchy may not have enough glazing or may have had uneven glazing. If a bag's leather feels like it is "unfinished" or doesn't have a decent amount of glazing, LH will soak in and likely result in uneven dark and light areas or really darken the leather. The newer bags with the insane amount of glazing may be more resistant to LH soaking in. The latest bag I own is 2013, I believe. It is the Curry (yellow). LH soaked in beautifully and although it is a light colored bag, LH didn't seem to darken it at all. The bag is perfect.

As in my OP, I strongly caution everyone to use a little LH at a time. It is very thick and will last a long time in the leather. I don't really think there is a way to just get it out once it is soaked in. LH was made to condition/moisturize for a long time.

I would not encourage use on piping or handles as it is a moisturizer....and we all try to keep oils and such away from our handles.

This was also posted in the general care / maintenance restoration pics thread... apologies for posting twice but I used Leather Honey and love the results, so wanted to post here as well. This was my "restoration" of a 2006 RH ink Day. Arrived yesterday severely dried out and absorbed the first coat (which was super thin) in seconds. Pics are after two coats, waiting 24 hours to see if it needs a third. This was a very very thirsty bag, but I'm super pleased with the results! Love this color bag!!

Attachments

• IMG_2765 2.JPG
    IMG_2765 2.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 811
  • IMG_2766.JPG
    IMG_2766.JPG
    303.2 KB · Views: 804
  • IMG_2767.JPG
    IMG_2767.JPG
    324.5 KB · Views: 796
  • IMG_2768.JPG
    IMG_2768.JPG
    331.9 KB · Views: 815
I read this entire thread! All forty-something pages of it and finally mustered up the courage to try Leather Honey. I'm on my third Bal, this one is gorgeous and dark brown - but very dry! I tried other moisturizers on it and the freshness never lasted more than a day. That's how dry the bag is!

After seeing all the great results I ordered it off ebay (it's not locally avail anywhere and cost more to ship than to buy!).

I applied a thin coat today, massaging it in with my hands. I avoided edges and the handles. The leather drank up the LH, temporarily darkened by it. It's now hours later and the bag is still darker than when I first started, but thick and luscious! It's not greasy or sticky at all, the bag absorbed all the LH!

I thought about giving it a second coat, but I didn't want to overdo it. Maybe in a couple days once I see how it wears?

I have pictures of before, during, and after the process!

I took all three pictures in the exact same light so you can best get an idea of how the LH applied!

The first picture is the "before" shot. Bag looks dry and veiny.

The second picture shows the bag immediately after I applied LH all over. It's dark and shiny. I used my hands to rub in the LH. They veiny parts darkened immediately and if I massaged it into any one spot where the veiny parts didn't darken, then I applied a little more LH to those parts - I wanted the bag equally "soaked".

The third bag shows the bag about 2 or 3 hours after I had finished applying LH. It was all absorbed, there was no stickiness or moisture on the surface of the bag. You can see it had lightened a little bit.

This morning my bag is considerably lighter, but still not as light as the "Before picture". I may re-moisturize with the LH tonight if I find the time.

Love this stuff - highly recommend!

Attachments

• BrownBalLH3.jpg
    BrownBalLH3.jpg
    639.7 KB · Views: 748
  • BrownBalLH2.jpg
    BrownBalLH2.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 744
  • BrownBalLH.jpg
    BrownBalLH.jpg
    764.3 KB · Views: 747
I took all three pictures in the exact same light so you can best get an idea of how the LH applied!

The first picture is the "before" shot. Bag looks dry and veiny.

The second picture shows the bag immediately after I applied LH all over. It's dark and shiny. I used my hands to rub in the LH. They veiny parts darkened immediately and if I massaged it into any one spot where the veiny parts didn't darken, then I applied a little more LH to those parts - I wanted the bag equally "soaked".

The third bag shows the bag about 2 or 3 hours after I had finished applying LH. It was all absorbed, there was no stickiness or moisture on the surface of the bag. You can see it had lightened a little bit.

This morning my bag is considerably lighter, but still not as light as the "Before picture". I may re-moisturize with the LH tonight if I find the time.

Love this stuff - highly recommend!

Your bag looks fabulous! So rich and yummy! Glad your happy with the results.

I finally managed to buy a bal after 3 years waiting. And I'm planning to apply LH on it? Have anyone with Rose Thulian ever tried LH on their bag?

Is the truly dry? Do you have decent glazing on the surface? If you feel a moisturizer is needed, try a test spot like on the bottom panel. Allow to dry at least one whole day. This can give u an idea of how the color and the leather will respond.

My Sienna RTT arrived a few days ago and was looking and feeling a little dry. So I decided to give her a light coat of LH.

Here she is BEFORE:
IMG_2275.JPG

And this is immediately AFTER:
IMG_2279.JPG

BEFORE:
IMG_2277.JPG

Immediately AFTER:
IMG_2280.JPG

I usually drench my dark coloured bags in LH. But I didn’t want to do that to this bag out of fear that it may change the beautiful Sienna colour. So a light coat was all that I gave her today. I can already tell that the colour has deepen slightly, especially in the areas that were especially dry.

Will soon share the AFTER photos once the bag has had a chance to absorb all the LH.

Anyone try a product called Leather Honey? It's from a company that has been around for 40 years. I found it recently and tried it on my Chataigne City. (I read alot of positive results and asked a TPFr about it before using it.) Love the results!

My Chataigne was gorgeous milk chocolate brown. However, since I decided to keep it, I thought I'd moisturize it a bit with something other than LMB. I've been ok with LMB results but wanted something better.

The leather feels way thicker. The color deepened to the original dark rich brown! Edges look amazing. There is still a sheen to the leather.

Easy application. No lingering smell, so my bag still smells of the amazing leather.

Effect on color: This is an 09 Chataigne so it did fade a little before I even received it. However, the leather honey has deepened the color to the original shade of deep brown.

I looked at before and after shots. You cannot really see the color difference in the photos so I didn't bother with before shots. All are after shots and I think the bag turned out great!

After Leather Honey. Beautiful rich brown, in the sunshine
5574260369_bfa1d9aafe.jpg

Changed the bag's position to show the darker areas. Can you see a slightly darker shade of brown in the lower left section of the bag? I really put on alot of leather honey there. If you don't want this...apply small amounts very evenly across the leather.
5574259677_901eba816f.jpg

Darkening on the side panels. Both side panels look like this. I put on ALOT of leather honey, so now it's super saturated with moisturizer. But I really like the look! Very vintage! Looks naturally aged.
5574844760_12680d5372.jpg

Gorgeous, moist rich back panel. I did my best application on this side. Very even. Not overly saturated with leather honey.
5574258779_b2247ccb03.jpg

Caution: Use a little at a time and apply very evenly. I did ask LeatherHoney about the darkening. I was told that the pores of the leather will soak up this conditioner/moisturizer. As the moisturizer eventually evaporates from the leather, the darkening will lighten. So, light even applications to try to avoid darkening. However, I actually like this effect for my Chataigne b/c it has more of a vintage look now.

The leather honey will feel slightly sticky like thin honey (hence the name) but will be fine once it is dry. You just wipe off any excess with a soft dry cloth. Takes about 24 hours to completely dry.

I like that you don't get the papery dry feel that you can get with LMB products. The leather feels smooth and moist.

I am REALLY happy with the results. I certainly am not saying get online and order it today or replace your LMB. I'm just letting you guys know that this is something I tried and am really happy with my results.

If you get it, test on a discrete spot first...especially since it can make the leather color richer, perhaps deeper. Want to make sure you like how it turns out before applying on the entire bag. My brown was just the ideal color for my first try at this.

You can always email them and ask questions. I got replies fairly promptly (within about 12 hours and faster). You can find them at LeatherHoney.com. Very inexpensive. A little goes a very long way.
I had some I used on some dry leather boots it really helped, I know not purse related but leather.